Author Topic: Future Home Pizzaiolo wanta be  (Read 356 times)

Offline Hypersprint

• I Love Pizza!
Future Home Pizzaiolo wanta be
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:30:05 AM »
Hey Folks,

I'm Rob and at the ripe old age of 53 I have become addicted to trying to make the best pizza I can at home, in fact my oven is heating up right now for another attempt at that perfect new york style pizza at home.  I have even seriously considered going to a pizza school in New York City for a week to get a better idea of what I am doing wrong and to physically be shown the proper ways to make a pizza from start to finish.  I wonder if a local Pizzeria would train me if I offer to work a short time for free, they probably would not want to share there formulas or sauce recipes but I could get great experience of the whole process.

Well, I've got to go, it is time to make my pizza for our lunch

Later
Rob

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Future Home Pizzaiolo wanta be
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
Welcome Rob.

Hang around here, ask questions, and post your results and you will really accelerate your learning curve. I think you'll find you won't need a pizza places formula or sauce recipe with the wealth of info here. I bet most places would take free labor for awhile too.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »
I wonder if a local Pizzeria would train me if I offer to work a short time for free, they probably would not want to share there formulas or sauce recipes but I could get great experience of the whole process.

Later
Rob

Rob,

If your local pizzerias are anything like ours you'd probably get in there, all eager beaver and whatnot and then ask the guy, "So tell me about your dough....hydration?....type of flour?....yeast?....."  :drool:

Then he'd give you a blank stare, since he's 23 and didn't "technically" finish High School, and then say "I don't know man, it just comes off that Roma Food Service truck and we put it thru that rolling machine thing and then I throw the sauce ..." :'(

"Wait!", you say, "Tell me about your sauce!" :drool:

To which he'll respond "It comes in those 5 gallon plastic bucketbags" :'(

Take it from a total newb whose skills have gone from zero to 20 (the speedometer goes to 140) in 8 months on this forum: You can learn a TON from the people here! :) No need for "school" (yet! ) :chef:

Have fun and post plenty of pics of your pies! :pizza:

John K

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
Rob, welcome to the forum.

There seems to be a common misconception that NY area pizzerias all know how to make great NY style pizza.  A handful do, but, unfortunately, most don't.  When it comes to making bad pizza, one of the more egregious offenders is Goodfellas.

Skip the Pizza and Get The Sandwiches at Goodfellas Lower East Side

This is NOT who you want to train with. As Jeff mentioned, the information is all here (and then some)- it just takes some time and dedication to track it all down.  If you're in a hurry, one on one training can convey information quickly, just make sure to go with a good teacher- not Goodfellas.

Offline Hypersprint

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  Although I have not been here long I have to agree with your comments, with everything that I have read so far and watching a few videos all the info I will ever need to make the best pizza I can is all right here.  But I must admit that with all the info available here I am getting a bit overwhelmed and have come up with questions that I will be asking in the appropriate threads about things that I didn't even know that I didn't know  ???

I sure hope my wife likes pizza as much as I do since I will be "practicing" a lot  :-D

Thanks
Rob