Author Topic: New member  (Read 304 times)

Offline Mapleleaf

• I Love Pizza!
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
Hello, I am from Toronto, Ontario in Canada.  I like making pizza using Caputo 00 flour for most of the family however one member of the family prefers pizza using all purpose and bread flour.  I'm in search of an answer as to why, when using a mix of all purpose and bread flour, sometimes the pizza crust is dry. I mix the dough in a bread maker using the dough setting.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
What type of oven Mapleleaf? Maybe I can direct you to the section that can best address your concerns.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Mapleleaf

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
I have a Dacor oven using convection bake middle rack at 400 degrees.  I start the pizza on a pizza screen then finish baking on oven rack.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
I have a Dacor oven using convection bake middle rack at 400 degrees.  I start the pizza on a pizza screen then finish baking on oven rack.
Ok, one more question and then we'll get you to the proper place to help you the most.

Are you also baking your 00 flour pizza's in this same oven, at 400 degrees? And, are you also mixing that 00 dough in your bread machine?

Bob

Offline Mapleleaf

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »
I bake my Caputo 00 dough in the dacor oven convection bake 550 degrees, starting off on pizza screen, then baking straight on middle rack.  Dough is made in the bread maker using recipe I found on this site.  Made pizza straight up from the bread machine pan and also sitting for a couple of hours on counter covered with plastic wrap and crust was nice and chewy and still browned nicely.  Obviously it didn't have that woodburning oven taste however it is still very good.  I found that if I bake the Caputo 00 dough without anything on it to later spread Nutella on it, 550 degrees is too hot of an oven temperature. 

Offline Mapleleaf

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »
I want to add that when making the pizza dough using a mix of bread flour and all purpose flour, following the same recipe, sometimes the outer crust is dry and sometimes it's fine being chewy.  I don't know if I maybe add more or less water or more or less olive oil or possible sugar, salt and yeast are not exact either.  What ingredient makes the crust chewy or dry?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 08:47:26 PM »
Ok great Mapleleaf, sounds like you have good results from your oven and you are an experienced pizza maker.  :chef:

I was worried your oven only hits 400!  :)

Your AP and BF dough sounds like perhaps it is only lacking a bit more water(hydration)no?
If you will please start a new thread in the "General Pizza Making" section and describe the situation you are experiencing with the flour blend dough....you will be helped. Pics always are a benefit in trying to get assistance.  ;) 

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!  Have fun.... :)

Bob

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
I want to add that when making the pizza dough using a mix of bread flour and all purpose flour, following the same recipe, sometimes the outer crust is dry and sometimes it's fine being chewy.  I don't know if I maybe add more or less water or more or less olive oil or possible sugar, salt and yeast are not exact either.  What ingredient makes the crust chewy or dry?
Probably just a hydration correction needed. Put your formula up in your new thread.

Always try to only make one change at a time..... ;)

Offline Mapleleaf

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
No I'm not an experienced pizza maker...lol. I will try being more careful with how much water I add to the flour ratio.  I've made pizzas twice this week having just made pizzas tonight for dinner so when I make pizza again I'll focus on the water.  Thanks for your help!