Author Topic: What do you think of this dough recipe?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Charg

• I Love Pizza!
What do you think of this dough recipe?
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Hi there,

My uncle works at a bread factory (has his whole life), I got to see him this summer and we made a bunch of pizzas. He brought dough from the factory, which is a bread dough recipe mind you, not intended for pizza. But it was by far the best tasting dough I've ever had. I recently emailed him asking for the recipe and he said this:

Flour: 200g
Water: 70g
Oil: 8g
Sugar: 10g
Salt: 4g
Yeast: 6g

He didn't give any detail as to what kind of flour, how to prepare the dough or anything. We cooked it at 350 degrees in an electric oven until it looked good, we didn't really time it. I'm basically just making a thread because I want to hear what you think about the recipe, 35% hydration seems incredibly low. But at the same time, it was definitely some amazing dough. I could "just try it" and come to my own conclusions, which I probably will. But I'm curious what people have to say that have the experience and knowledge that could just look at some info and assume what would happen

Comments, tips, all welcomed :)

edit - he just sent me another email with some more detail.. I'll need a few minutes to translate
edit2 - he said to stir it for 12 minutes, then should be able to slowly stretch it until it's transparent.

The pizzas we made were vverryy thin though, we had to eat it with a fork and knife, which is not the style I prefer, however.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:37:57 PM by Charg »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: What do you think of this dough recipe?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »
Yeast?

Offline Charg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »
Bah, right. Edited it in, 6g.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 11:09:35 PM »
When I use my spreadsheet to convert it to bakers' percentages, I get:

100% Flour
35.23% Water
2.84% Yeast
1.83% Salt
3.84% Oil
4.85% Sugar

One thing I've figured out recently is that a dough formula itself doesn't usually mean as much as what you do with the dough; how you manage it, how you ferment it, how you manipulate it, etc. However, since you asked what we think of the recipe, and since I'm bored, I'll go ahead and play: When I look at this formula, I see a cracker crust that probably wants to be laminated, with not many other uses. Pretty close to Shakey's. Could turn out amazing if used right, but could turn out horrible, too. It would definitely be hard for most people to make this dough work out. Fazzari knows exactly what to do with it.

That's a ton of yeast and a ton of sugar, but I can see the high yeast percentage working out, considering how stiff this dough must be. Nearly 5% sugar scares me.

I must admit that this formula is not even close to what I envisioned when I read 'bread factory.'

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »
When I use my spreadsheet to convert it to bakers' percentages, I get:

100% Flour
35.23% Water
2.84% Yeast
1.83% Salt
3.84% Oil
4.85% Sugar

However, when I use a calculator (or my head) to do it the right way (or the easy way), I get:

100% Flour
35% Water
3% Yeast
2% Salt
4% Oil
5% Sugar

D'OH!!!