Author Topic: using ADY are these steps in the right order?  (Read 705 times)

Offline xraychef

• I Love Pizza!
using ADY are these steps in the right order?
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:04:26 AM »
i'm using active dry yeast.  first i mix my flour, salt, and sugar together in the mixer.  then i add the yeast to warm water, agitate, and let sit for ten minutes or so.  i add my canola oil to the water yeast mixture and then slowly add this to the mixing flour ingredients.  should i be worried about the manner in which the salt and yeast come in contact?

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
Re: using ADY are these steps in the right order?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:36:59 AM »
X-ray

You might want to consider some changes to your work flow.
Try dissolving the ADY in the warm water in the mixing bowl.  You can skip this step if
     you change to IDY and just mix that into the dry ingredients.
When dissolved add the dry ingredients; some add slowly to improve hydration while
     others just dump it all in.
Hold off on the oil at the beginning of the mix as it may compete with the water to
     hydrate the flour.
After two minutes of mix, add the oil; this also helps to lubricate the bowl and reduce
     friction so your finished dough temp will not be too high. Finishing temp is
     important.
Regarding the salt; by mixing the salt and flour together you can dump it into the
     mixing bowl without too much fear of a significant yeast kill as the flour serves
     as an insulator.

Bob

Offline xraychef

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:44:56 AM »
thanks for the suggestions, i'll give it a try tomorrow!!

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:14:09 AM »
Regarding the salt; by mixing the salt and flour together you can dump it into the
     mixing bowl without too much fear of a significant yeast kill as the flour serves
     as an insulator.

Not so much insulator, but diluant. And yes, if you mix the salt with the flour thoroughly then add the yeast 'solution' there should be no yeast/salt issue.