Author Topic: $20 flour?  (Read 951 times)

Offline eahunter

• I Love Pizza!
$20 flour?
« on: March 16, 2013, 12:01:42 AM »
I got a nice bonus at work, so I splurged on some nice steaks at the local specialty market.I have just recently started making bread and pizza dough.  I had heard about 00 flour, and when I saw it I grabbed it.  With the expensive steaks,  I didn't notice the price until I got home, but the 5 pound bag of flour was $20.  It's Giusto's organic 00 pizza flour. Does that sound right?

Is this a good brand?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: $20 flour?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »
Is it this one?

http://giustos.com/home_baker/flours/pasta-pizza-flours/organic-00-unbleached-flour.html

IMO, Giustos makes outstanding bread flour. I've tried this one as well several custom pizza blends from Giustos and did not find them suitable for the kind of Neapolitan-style pizzas I enjoy.

Regardless, buying a single bag from Giustos is pretty expensive. I always order the 6-pack. Also, Giustos has historically offered a discount to members here.

Offline eahunter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:15:17 AM »
Bill, thanks for the reply, yes, that's exactly it.  Can you explain to me what 00 flour is? I've been using KABF to this point.  Is this flour worth 20 bucks?

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 12:26:11 AM »
You may find this useful.
http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-deal-with-00-flour-108281
Worth 20 bucks? Not to me.

Offline eahunter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »
I had just read that too, tombiasi, thank you for your input.  I don't think my skills are up to telling the difference enough to warrant a $20 bag of flour. If someone can tell me that its worth the expense, I may keep it and try it, but it seems pretty steep.  I was wondering if it was rare or something.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »
There is a good chance you may find that you like it or other '00' flours less than KABF for making pizza. As the link above hints to, '00' only refers to the milling - nothing more. There are many different '00' flours, but they do all have one thing in common - there is no magic in any of them; and I don't know of any that are optimal for making pizza in a home oven. If I didn't have a WFO, I would use KAAP for pizza.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
eahunter,
Three words my friend..."save that receipt".   ;D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
Bill, thanks for the reply, yes, that's exactly it.  Can you explain to me what 00 flour is? I've been using KABF to this point.  Is this flour worth 20 bucks?

It's not "worth it" if you consider I can get 55 lbs of Caputo 00 in East Podunk, NC for $43.  Depending where you are in the world, you may even be able to do better than that! I asked a guy at my local Italian market to order it for me. Ultimately you'll have to decide what YOU like, and what's best for what YOU are trying to make. 😊

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »
It's not "worth it" if you consider I can get 55 lbs of Caputo 00 in East Podunk, NC for $43.  Depending where you are in the world, you may even be able to do better than that! I asked a guy at my local Italian market to order it for me. Ultimately you'll have to decide what YOU like, and what's best for what YOU are trying to make. 😊

John K
Exactly...it is priceless if it gets you where you want to be....

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan