Author Topic: Smoked meats  (Read 1122 times)

Offline pizza dr

Smoked meats
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
Hello all

I never really hear about smoked meats/sausages on a neapolitan style pizza ( save the smoked VT pepperoni).  What are some of your favorite smoked products that you put on a pie?  I love a good smokey piece of spanish (hard) chorizo.  Any other sausages that folks use that are smoked?

Scot

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Smoked meats
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »
I make a mildly smoked kielbasa that I really like on pizza. Just something about it with piquillo peppers and fresh mozzarella on an Ischia crust that really hits all the buttons.

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
Hello all

I never really hear about smoked meats/sausages on a neapolitan style pizza ( save the smoked VT pepperoni).  What are some of your favorite smoked products that you put on a pie?  I love a good smokey piece of spanish (hard) chorizo.  Any other sausages that folks use that are smoked?

Scot
X2 on the chorizo.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 11:53:53 PM »
Since your OP includes "meats" I will add Speck which is smoked prosciutto. I get it at Costco. Cittero brand.

And even though they aren't smoked, if you can get your paws on any Gaspar's chourico or linguica you will not be disappointed! The Portuguese version of chorizo is very different from its Spanish cousin!  And I love both!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline chaspie

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:33:39 AM »
I cure and smoke pork loins for Canadian bacon.   It's great on a pizza.  But I think just about any smoked meat, cheese, or pepper would be great on a pizza. 

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
I'm thinking I need to learn how to smoke some sausage.  I usually just buy... but making my own kielbasa, canadian bacon or speck sounds like fun! 

Any good references that I can get started on?

Thanks

Scot

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »
There is a local hickory smoked sausage that i like on pizza.  I like it with some red onion. Nothing like what I've had on a pizza like this but I like it.

Offline chaspie

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:06:52 AM »
I'm thinking I need to learn how to smoke some sausage.  I usually just buy... but making my own kielbasa, canadian bacon or speck sounds like fun! 

Any good references that I can get started on?

Thanks

Scot

I found Michael Ruhlman's book, Charcuterie, to be quite helpful in learning the concepts and basic processes of curing and smoking meats and sausages.  I use his canadian bacon recipe and process (more or less).  I don't care for his seasoning choices in a number of his recipes, but that's a matter of taste. 

Rytek Kutas' book, Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing, has a lot of process-related information in it.  It's a good reference.

Warren Anderson's book, Mastering the Craft of Making Sausage, has a lot of good equipment and process information.  But like Ruhlman, some of his seasoning choices are, in my estimation, questionable, like putting mace and allspice in andouille sausage. 

Finally, I find the huge wealth of detailed information on the Wedliny Domowe site to be immensely useful.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:09:27 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Everlast

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
Last weekend, for a pancetta and brussel sprouts pizza, I found smoked pancetta at an Italian deli in town. I had them slice it as thin as they could and put it on top of the brussel sprouts for added crispiness. I was using regular Applegate Farms uncured pancetta before. The smoked pancetta is substantially more delicious and I don't think I'll be using regular pancetta anymore.

Offline bradtri

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
One of my standard pizza toppings is shredded, smoked chicken.   Smoked at home of course!!

Offline chaspie

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 08:42:58 PM »
The correct link to the Wedliny Domowe site should be:  Wedliny Domowe.  It was incorrectly formatted in the post above where I originally specified it.