Author Topic: Freezing my cooked pizza?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Registered user

Freezing my cooked pizza?
« on: January 14, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »
Should I do this? I was thinkin I could freeze my pizza after I cooked it. I think I could store it in a vacuum package  for later use, and then bake it in the oven whenever I needed my fix. :-D

Anybody ever do this???

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Freezing my cooked pizza?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 02:16:43 PM »
Registered user,

You could do that but if you know in advance that you want to freeze your pizza the way that is usually recommended is to par-bake the crust, sauce and dress it in the usual manner, freeze the entire pizza, and then wrap it to go back into the freezer. In your case, you would put it in a vacuum bag. In any event, you don't want to go overboard with the veggies, or you can saute them, since the veggies can break down during freezing and lead to a soggy pizza when you finish baking it.

When you want to prepare the pizza, you do it like any other frozen pizza you get from the supermarket, i.e., go directly from the freezer to the oven.

If you decide to go the par-bake route, you bake the dough (skin) just until it sets and has a sand-like color, and no more. Otherwise, the crust will brown sooner than desired when you finish the baking of the pizza after it comes out of the freezer. You should watch the dough carefully during par-baking, especially for the possible formation of bubbles, and you should be prepared to pop them as they occur.  You should also note that par-baking a crust results in some loss of flavor. So if you decide to go with par-baking, you will want to be sure that you let the dough ferment for as long as possible, typically 2 or 3 days. And you may want to add a bit more oil to the dough, or even butter or other flavor-enhancing ingredients (like Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, herbs, etc.). But go light with the flavor enhancements because too much can affect the dough's performance. The combination of a long fermentation time and the oil/butter or other flavor enhancers give the par-baked crust the most flavor it will ever have. I might add that the finished pizza, no matter what you have done to it to improve it, will not be as good as a freshly made pizza. But most people, unless they are real pizza aficionados, may not even notice.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 02:18:42 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Registered user

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 10:04:52 AM »
Very helpful.

Thanx Pete! ;D

Offline ctimmer

• Just let me have one more pizza and then I'll quit
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 07:55:23 PM »
I freeze my pizza as soon as possible after cooling to keep the dough from getting soggy.  Vacuum packing should give it a longer storage life.

My best reheating results are from a tip I read here. Reheat the pizza on a covered fry pan set on low heat. The pizza can be put on the pan frozen.

This works on thin crust, don't know about the rest.

Curt

pizzapan