Author Topic: Wood Fired Oven in a Fire Truck  (Read 729 times)

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Wood Fired Oven in a Fire Truck
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:01:04 PM »
Back in January Andres from The Wine Barn in FL contacted me with a very exiting project; mounting a wood fired oven in a fire truck he had just purchased.
Andres already had a mobile trailer oven from another company and this time he wanted the real thing. A wood fired oven that can do pizza of course but bread and much more.
This was fantastic as not only it was unique project but Andres and his team have quite a reputation.
Of course there was a couple of challenges to figure out, just to make the project more fun.

Making a hole in the roof of the truck was out of the question. We thought the best solution would be to mount it on a pull out tray with a removable chimney. The oven would be nicely put away while traveling. When in used the oven would be pulled out 24", with the chimney put on.
Also we had a limited space to put the oven in, wider than deep, and wanted to make the most of it. To be specific 78" of width.

After going over the different options from the wide selection of FGM ovens, we decided that the 1500 Lateral Bricked Dome Raised was the best option. That gives us a cooking floor that is 60" wide by 38" deep and about 13.25 square feet.
We designed the oven support frame to be at 76" of width, leaving 1" on each side, and put our master welder to work.

The oven weighing over 3,000 lbs fully assembled we needed to find a very strong pull out drawer. After much research we found the only company in the US that was willing to put there money where there mouth was. They built a beautiful pull out tray capable to support 3,500 lbs fully extended. You heard me right not just at 24" extended but fully extended.

In February we received the specially designed pull out tray and the oven frame. Then in March the oven arrived from FGM and started the assembly.

Early April we shipped it from Dallas, TX to Orlando, FL. The oven was so big and heavy we had to request a dedicated truck space. Not way this baby shipped in LTL.

Last week Andres received the oven and got to ready to place it in the truck. I have to admit that at that point, I started to second guess myself with a few short nights. "That opening was 78" right and the welder made the frame at 76", ... :-D

On Friday Andres called me and held my breath as I awaited what he had to say. "Antoine, it went in like a glove".

A few pictures of the oven at our shop and being installed.

Now I can't wait it is cured and see some pizza coming out  :drool:

If you are near by here is The Wine Barn info, make sure to check it out.
http://www.thewinebarn.net/
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Wood Fired Oven in a Fire Truck
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:07:06 PM »
Love it ! cant wait to see it pulled out and crankin!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
That's great! Love the pull out tray idea. Nice work!
Chaz

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:37:43 AM »
That's great! Love the pull out tray idea. Nice work!

^^^

BTW, thewinebarn url seems risky, per the warning I received below.

Offline antoyaz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:03 AM »
It has been an exciting project and I must admit working directly with Antoine on this custom Fire Truck build has been nothing short of amazing, not just through the design phase and customer service, but actually understanding the ins and outs of why these ovens are so different! We have been cooking on another mobile wood fired oven for over 2 years (mainly pizzas and a few breads) and when we wanted to build a new oven I wanted it to be the best choice for multi use cooking. We could have not asked for a better company to make this dream now become a reality!

Offline wolver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »
it's very nice! :D
you can put some photos complete

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
it's very nice! :D
you can put some photos complete
The oven is nicely curing for now but should be almost done.
As soon I get some picture of the first pizza, I'll be sure to post them.
There should also be bread and much more  :drool:

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline wolver

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 05:58:44 AM »
thanks I'm curious, Fire Truck in action  ;D