Author Topic: 2stone Inferno Review  (Read 8288 times)

Offline Everlast

Re: 2stone Inferno Review
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 01:52:25 AM »
MrPibbs, a couple more pics of that herbed focaccia just for you.

Offline MrPibbs

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 01:15:59 AM »
OMG!  I think I can taste it through the computer screen.  Just amazing!

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
Everlast, I have read and reviewed this thread, and your PM to me at least a dozen times now, as well as going back and forth to Willard's 2Stone website, and just finished speaking with him again!  LOL!

He gave me some very useful information since I converted my Weber Genesis from LP to NG from the house because I was going through LP propane tanks too fast.  With the three Weber jets fully open the entire time, and allowing 30-40 mins for full top stone heating, I only was getting 2-3 pizza making events (3-4 pizzas each event) per bottle. 

I actually get hotter temps with the Weber NG setup than I did with LP in my 2Stone.  I have run it this winter in 10F and got 740F on bottom stone and 715F on top stone...BUT I have to let it heat up for 35-40 mins.  So when looking at the Inferno, I was leaning towards continuing to use my NG quick connect setup that comes with a Weber NG grill.

HOWEVER, Willard just told me that in addition to not being able to slide the flame burner (because you cannot use the flexible metal hose and still be in code with NG), it is also plumbed (probably smaller diameter pipe and orifices) so that the top temp only reaches about 700F with the NG Inferno.  NG works under a much lower pressure, and to get higher delivered volumes, you have to plumb with larger pipe and burner orifices.

So now it is looking like for our purposes (especially if you want to go into Neo ranges), the LP model might be a better choice.  Willard thought that because of the focussed flame directly on the stone setup that an LP bottle lasts much longer than I was getting with the 2Stone.    I looked up that the typical 20 lb LP bottle holds about 4.1 US Gallons of propane, and I think you said earlier that you use just under a gallon for a 3-4 pizza event?  Walmart charges $18 for an exchanged tank which is about $4.40/gallon.  Can you comment on that aspect--in terms of how many "events" you get out of a bottle?  It's such a nuisance to run out of a tank when you are in the middle of cooking something.

One last thing, can you share how you made that luscious looking herbed focaccia ?  I have never seen or eaten anything that looks like that.

Sorry for digging this thread up again but I read this and wanted to chime in and add, rather than start a new thread.

I have or had an LP inferno.  I thought it was so great that I bought one for a very close friend but it was a NG model.  After installing it, I realized it wouldn't get up to 700 degrees!  Argggg... so I went digging for the constraint.  The constraint turned out to be the needle valve on the front of the oven.  It might work oK for high pressure LP but it doens't for NG.  I think it went down to .125" in diameter and the lines were 3/16" if I remember correctly.  I went and replumbed everythign with 3/8" or 1/2", can't remember but after changing all that stuff out, I was able to EASILY get it to 1000 degrees.
I recently changed my LP inferno to the NG setup and knew in advance that I would need to change these things.  I did and I can get it way hotter than I need.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Everlast

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 03:29:36 PM »
ringkingpin, perhaps Willard should modify his NG model with the larger diameter needle and lines so it can achieve true Neapolitan bakes right out of the box.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
no bout adoubt it, just wanted to let you guys know what my findings were
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Everlast

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 12:08:11 PM »
Both stones are FibraMent - the top stone is square and covers the entire ceiling of the hearth, the bottom stone is round and 15.5" in diameter.

After a question from another member, I wanted to make a clarification here. The top stone is actually a sheet of ridged stainless steel sandwiched by two 3/4"-1" rectangular FibraMent stones. My understanding is that this arrangement provides extra insulation and heat retention. All 3 pieces sit in a frame with legs that fits into place over the bottom stone.

Offline anverc

• Supporting Member
  • gameplay engineer / pizza maker
    • sourdough utility app
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »
After a question from another member, I wanted to make a clarification here. The top stone is actually a sheet of ridged stainless steel sandwiched by two 3/4"-1" rectangular FibraMent stones. My understanding is that this arrangement provides extra insulation and heat retention. All 3 pieces sit in a frame with legs that fits into place over the bottom stone.

Interesting, it's slightly different for those of us who got the deal.  I have two stones up there right now (no steel plate) and i'm probably going to put a third one up there as well.

I have to launch ten pies tomorrow night.  How many have you tried to do back to back?  I suppose i'll just have to keep an eye on the stone temp and let it rise between bakes if need be
i'm making a pizza utility app.  check it out and give suggestions! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30444.0

Offline Everlast

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
I can't answer that since I've never launched pizzas back to back. However, I think you can easily get the bottom stone back up to temp within less than a minute after removing a pizza by turning up the flame.

pizzapan