Author Topic: Inserting hyperlinks  (Read 687 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Inserting hyperlinks
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »
since the new forum software has been installed I have found that I have to put a space between the link and punctuation, such as a comma or period.

The forum does its best to validate hyperlinks that are just pasted in, but sometimes it gets it wrong because periods and commas are legitimate characters in a URL. The proper way to insert a hyperlink is to use BBC code like this:

[url]http://www.pizzamaking.com[/url]

By using BBC code, you are taking the guesswork out by telling the forum exactly how the URL should appear. So, here's how you'd embed a URL into a sentence with punctuation:

TYPE THIS:

Hey, I found this really cool pizza site at [url]http://www.pizzamaking.com[/url], they have a lot of information!!

IT DISPLAYS LIKE THIS:

Hey, I found this really cool pizza site at http://www.pizzamaking.com, they have a lot of information!!

Hope that helps!  :chef:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:47:08 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Inserting hyperlinks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Here's a quick and easy way to put the [url] and [/url] tags around a hyperlink:

1. Type/paste in your URL
2. Highlight the entire URL using your mouse.
3. Click the "Insert Hyperlink" button on the menu (it looks like a little globe located directly below the "Bold" button).

Voilà! The URL now has the proper BBC tags attached to it.

NOTE: if you're using the WYSIWYG editor, the procedure is different. Don't type the hyperlink into the message, just click the "Insert Hyperlink" button. You'll then be prompted to enter the hyperlink. I actually prefer the non-WYSIWYG way of doing it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 01:07:45 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
Steve,

Many thanks!!

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
Steve.

Thanks! 

I sure am not up to speed in what to do, but when I try to post a link if I can’ see red areas in the link when I am doing a post, then I know my links probably won’t work.  I will try to follow your methods.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »
You can also do it like this:

Hey, I found this really cool pizza site at [url=http://www.pizzamaking.com]Pizzamaking.com[/url], they have a lot of information!!

"Hey, I found this really cool pizza site at Pizzamaking.com, they have a lot of information!!"  -without the quotes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:34:18 PM by Steve »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
For those who want to get a bit fancy, you can try out the following:

Create your tag as shown in Steve's example above:

Code: [Select]
[url]http://www.pizzamaking.com[/url]
which yields this hyperlink: http://www.pizzamaking.com

Now try moving the right bracket from the opening tag so that it is placed right after the URL "pizzamaking.com" and adding some descriptive text (like "a really cool pizza website"), so it reads as follows:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.pizzamaking.com]a really cool pizza website[/url]
Instead of pizzamaking.com appearing as the hyperlink as above, the words "a really cool pizza website" become the hyperlink. When the reader clicks on the link, they are taken to the target url (in this case,  to pizzamaking.com), like this:

a really cool pizza website

If you feel like jazzing up your posts a bit, give it a try sometime. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
While that certainly does jazz things up, the only drawback is that some people like to cut/paste hyperlinks from the post itself. If you jazz it up, then the person is forced to click the link and then copy the URL from the browser.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
While that certainly does jazz things up, the only drawback is that some people like to cut/paste hyperlinks from the post itself. If you jazz it up, then the person is forced to click the link and then copy the URL from the browser.

...or you can right-click on the link ("jazzed" or not) and select "Copy Link Location" in Firefox, or "Copy Shortcut" in Internet Explorer.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »
Conceptually, I like some of the jazzed up ideas but as a Moderator I actually prefer to see the entire links on the page. The reason is that I have come to recognize, or to discover, links that have gone dead. What I usually do with dead links is to run them through the Wayback Machine to see if archived copies are stored there. If so, I correct the dead links. I sometimes just replace the links themselves but sometimes I edit the posts to show the working links.

Recently, there have been a spate of dead links on our forum. For example, when the PMQ Think Tank recently changed its forum software, hundreds of links on this forum to PMQTT posts went dead. Links to PMQ recipes and to PMQ articles by Tom Lehmann also went dead. Fortunately, Steve was able to come up with a scrip to globally fix the PMQTT links so that they would work. I don't know what the software looked at to correct the links, but without the corrections we would have had dead links all over the place. The other dead links I corrected manually in each post. King Arthur has also changed its website so that links to many of its good articles went dead. I knew what they were because I could see the entire links and recognize them. An example of one that I fixed can be seen at Reply 4 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1319.msg11928/topicseen.html#msg11928. A big help to doing the corrections was the new forum's search engine. I knew what the dead links were and was able to use the new search engine to find the posts containing the links in order to fix them. Over the past couple of months I must have fixed hundreds of links. It was painful because the changes had to be done one at a time. Without seeing the complete URLs, I wouldn't have been able to make most of the corrections.

Peter

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:56:01 PM »
Here's a quick and easy way to put the [url] and [/url] tags around a hyperlink:

1. Type/paste in your URL
2. Highlight the entire URL using your mouse.
3. Click the "Insert Hyperlink" button on the menu (it looks like a little globe located directly below the "Bold" button).

Voilà! The URL now has the proper BBC tags attached to it.

NOTE: if you're using the WYSIWYG editor, the procedure is different. Don't type the hyperlink into the message, just click the "Insert Hyperlink" button. You'll then be prompted to enter the hyperlink. I actually prefer the non-WYSIWYG way of doing it.

Just to add something to your post. There is an alternative way that yields same result with one less step ...

1. Click the "Insert Hyperlink" button on the menu (it looks like a little globe located directly below the "Bold" button).
2. Type/paste in your URL

Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
What I usually do with dead links is to run them through the Wayback Machine to see if archived copies are stored there. If so, I correct the dead links. I sometimes just replace the links themselves but sometimes I edit the posts to show the working links.

Peter

Wow, you go way above and beyond.  This forum is lucky to have you. Many Thanks !!!
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 09:01:15 PM »
 ^^^
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 10:04:46 PM »
Thanks guys. I just hate dead links when I find them, especially if they are crucial to the posts and reduce their value. I suppose the bright side is that they have forced me to learn how to use the Wayback Machine. Unfortunately, not all articles that are lost through dead links are in the Wayback Machine archives.

In some cases, companies have also been changing the form of certain materials. King Arthur, for example, has been replacing certain pdf documents (whose links are now dead) with html documents that appear to have the same content as the pdf documents. But there are other King Arthur documents that no longer exist online and it is not clear whether KA will be replacing them. So, dead links may remain.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 07:46:22 AM »
As I mentioned in my last post, the PMQ Think Tank recently underwent an upgrade to its forum. However, as noted in the PMQTT thread at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13917&hilit=p85229, there was no attempt to redirect old links to the new links. The subject matter is still there, but users who had the old links would not be redirected to the new links by simply clicking on the old ones. They will have to use the PMQTT search engine, which is not a particularly good one in my opinion (having used it hundreds of times over the years), to find the subject matter that was accessible by the old links. When I discovered that all of our PMQTT links had become dead overnight, right after PMQ did the switchover, I alerted Steve and he stepped in to fix the problem by changing the existing URLs. We are indeed fortunate to have Steve, who is an IT guy, at the helm. I might add that the last time PMQ did a forum upgrade, which I believe was in the 2005-2006 timeframe, they let the old forum go completely dark. There was a lot of wonderful information in the old forum that is not archived anywhere. I even asked the webmaster at the time to archive the old forum posts, to no avail. So, if members see PMQTT links in the 2005-2006 timeframe (or earlier), they will also be dead on our forum. As an example, see the post at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3902.msg32707/topicseen.html#msg32707.

To the above, I would add that just about any link to older material at Pizza Today is likely to be dead, just as is their bulletin board. Nothing was archived.

We still have some dead links on our forum that need correcting, if that is still possible. As I find them, as time permits I will try to fix them.

Peter

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:30:18 PM by Pete-zza »