Author Topic: Cheese Trick  (Read 3127 times)

NYPizza

Cheese Trick
« on: April 17, 2003, 09:16:37 AM »
Using a 4:1 or 3:1 ratio of mozzarella to PROVOLONE helps the cheese melt to nice consistency (as mozzarella can become runny).

The nice thing is you can easily have phenomenal cheese pizza with low moisture, inexpensive shredded mozzarella (available in bulk from warehouse stores) plus a few slices of provolone torn by hand into slightly small strips!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Cheese Trick
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 08:53:53 AM »
I usually try to use a 50:50 (or 75:25) mix of mozzarella to provolone. Sometimes I'll even add a very small amount of cheddar.

I was at the store the other day and Kraft now sells bags of shredded "Pizza cheese" which is a blend of mozzarella and provolone.

Speaking of Kraft cheese... the latest issue of CI magazine just performed a blind taste-test of mozzarella cheeses. It's a very good article and an eye opener. They tested most of the major brands (block and shredded, whole milk vs. part skim, fresh vs. mass produced, etc., etc. Tasting was done with raw cheese and cooked on a pizza. The best was Dragone whole milk mozzarella (not available everywhere), but coming in a very close second place was Kraft shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella!  :o   The results surprised them as well! Surprised me too!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 02:48:06 PM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 05:00:04 PM »
I use a 2:1 ratio of mozzarella to provolone.  Just for fun from time to time I have also used different amounts of cheeder, swiss, and the jacks.

Most of the time, though, I stay with the Moz/Pro mix.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 09:04:04 PM »
One thing I have found out about Cheese is the preshreaded Kraft Mozzarella has cellulose added to prevent it from sticking together.   It causes the melted cheese to turn gray and hard very quickly.  Try Polly-o.  Put it in the freezer for a little while to make it easier to shred.

Offline TimEggers

• Homemade pizza and home roasted coffee! YUM!
    • Pan Roasting Coffee
Re: Cheese Trick
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 02:19:24 AM »
I have always used a 1:1 ratio of mozzarella to provolone as I assumed that was "correct."  It always tasted darn good to me!

I also only use sliced cheese!  Just melts so nice and uniform!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 08:40:14 PM »
I just wanted to let anyone interested know that Dragone is made by Saputo, a foodservice supplier to many pizzerias. Saputo makes many different mozzarella cheeses in various price ranges.  Dragone is sold to foodservice (pizzerias) as Saputo Jolina mozzarrella.  It comes in whole milk and part skim.  If you want to buy a 6 pound block of Dragone at a cash and carry wholesaler it will be labled Jolina. The Jolina line is actually Saputo's budget version.  I found it interesting that Saputo gold, their top of the line, is an inferior tasting product in my opinion.  The Saputo gold does have similar melting characteristics to Grandè, though.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2005, 09:20:59 PM »
Thanks Scot for the info, I will be looking for Jolina at my Cash & Carry.

I also use a 3:1 Or 4:1 ratio mostly because I find more than is too strong on provolone for my palate.

I can't hardly get anyone to shred a block of cheese anymore.

I tried shredding my cheese in my industrial strength food processor, I ended up a glob of cheese paste, even though the cheese was very cold.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline JamesOz

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 07:04:55 PM »
We have a Pizza Cheese Mix here that is 70% mozarella, 20% cheddar and 10% parmesan.

Very nice blend which doesnt have the strong parmesan taste and browns very well (when left to bake a little longer) if you like your topping that way.

pizzapan