Author Topic: New Board--Requests for Pizzeria & Restaurant Recommendations  (Read 512 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
With Steve's blessing, a new board has been added to the forum. It is called "Requests for Pizzeria & Restaurant Recommendations". As the name indicates, it is a place where members can request recommendations for pizzerias and restaurants. Previously, members would post such requests in "Pizzeria & Restaurant Reviews", for lack of a better place, or in "Chitchat". Eventually, most of such posts would end up in Chitchat. Now, the work begins to move the recommendation posts out of Chitchat, and maybe some stragglers that may still be hiding in the Pizzeria & Restaurant Reviews board, into the new board. There are currently 59 pages of threads in Chitchat and 23 pages of threads in Pizzeria & Restaurant Reviews, so it will take some time to go through them all and move the relevant posts to the new board.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: New Board--Requests for Pizzeria & Restaurant Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
For those who are interested, I completed the task of moving posts that relate to pizzeria and restaurant recommendations from the Chitchat board and the Pizzeria & Restaurant Reviews board to the new Pizzeria/Restaurant Recommendations board (it wil be noted that I abbreviated the name of the new board). Keeping the recommendations and reviews separate should eliminate some confusion and overlap and make it easier for members to navigate the two boards. One should now be able to quickly scan the recommendations posts and, through topics headings that are very often quite specific as to area, be able to find both the current and historicial recommendations for major parts of the country.

The moving of posts was also good for the Chitchat board since that is one of the biggest boards on the forum and perhaps could go on a Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers diet. I lopped off almost six pages from that board. As I was going through the exercise, I also saw posts that better belonged elsewhere, so I moved them to new homes. The Chitchat board is unlikely anytime soon to become svelte, but every lost post is for the better.

There were some interesting observations as I went through the exercise. As might be expected, New York and surrounding areas (like New Haven and New Jersey) were the most popular locations where members asked for pizzeria and restaurant recommendations, and especially so in the case of NY which is perhaps number one on the list. But Chicago, Colorado (several locations), San Francisco, Seattle and Las Vegas were also very strong, surprisingly so in the case of Vegas, which was perhaps not far behind NY and Chicago. Places like Boston, Dallas, San Diego, and LA drew requests for recommendatios but they were back in the pack. Outside of the U.S., Naples was very strong, almost as popular as NY, but there were other locations in Italy, such as Rome, that also drew requests for recommendations. The posts that tended to draw the fewest or no responses were usually for parts of the country that are not particularly known as pizza meccas or the pizzerias or restaurants in question were small or obscure or very local.

I also discovered that the forum has a fair number of members who once were active on the forum but apparently have gone to lurker status. From time to time I would look at the profiles of members whose names I remembered (usually quite fondy) from years ago to see if they had left the forum for good. I was surprised by how many members still check into the forum from time to time even though there are no signs of it. I guess it is hard to get pizza out of your blood once you get hooked on pizza, either as a food for sustenence or as a hobby or addiction.

Peter

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: New Board--Requests for Pizzeria & Restaurant Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »
Thank you Peter, that seems like a  very good structural change.