Author Topic: Kids making pizzas  (Read 1634 times)

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
Kids making pizzas
« on: January 04, 2006, 10:28:24 AM »
Last night I had an extra dough ball that I had made using the TL method from this site so I cut it into 3 pieces and rolled it out really thin, making 3 7 inch pizzes. I had my 2 kids make 3 different pizzas. First one was Bullzeye bbq sauce, bbq chicken and Grande, 2nd was ranch dressing, bbq chicken and Grande and the 3rd was a sauce I made from 6-1 and Penseys spices. The kids topped each pizza and we cooked them on a pizza screen at 450 until they were done. Then I cut them in 6 slices and we decided which one was best. Funny thing was each person liked a different one best and my little guy took out the ranch dressing and dipped his pizza in that. Good times!!!  :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Kids making pizzas
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »
scampi,

I have discovered that most kids are conditioned to eating delivery pizza from places like Domino's that it is hard to get them to try pizzas made at home. However, when I have gotten them to actually participate in making the pizzas, either the making of the dough (they love the tossing part) or dressing the pizzas, they are far more likely to eat the pizzas. I guess their participation gives them some "ownership" in the process. I have also found that it helps to give them all the credit for making the pizzas.

Peter

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 11:07:31 PM »
Hi Peter, You must have the same kids as mine  ;D. My one son wanted to make his next pizza a peanut butter one. He may regret that one but it's all fun. I just want to get them involved in learning how to do things other than burn the house down. My daugher wants to be a chef but it's tough roping the boys into cooking, and that's ok. If I owned a pizza parlor I would have kids night where they all got to make their own pizzas. It would be a mess but it would be a lot of fun for them. I only know of one place that does that.

Offline Iceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:25:29 AM »
I have the wonderful benefit of having parents who let me cook since the first time I ever asked if I could cook. That of course goes on now in my house with any of the many children in my family who ask. The only real problem we have ever had was an imitation of me. And even worse yet it, was not in the kitchen, but in a restaurant. You see one of my biggest difficulties is the control of my, as some people put it, "outspoken opinionated mouth". As it was, one of my grandchildren asked a waiter "What is this garbage you're feeding us?", "I've gotten better pizza out of a vending machine". He said it loud enough so that most of the tables around us heard him. Let me tell you, I was looking to take a beating. It turned out to be harmless enough, since many of the onlookers agreed with him. The manager came out asking if there was any problem and I told him everything was fine, my grandson thought he was a commedian, and everything was fine. The kid couldn't leave it at that. He promptly told the man that there wasn't enough sauce and that the cheese should go over to the edge more. The manager looked over at our pizza and said that he was right. Anyway, he brought us another pizza, comped my grandson a desert and told us that we had a future chef on our hands. I couldn't get out of the place fast enough.
It is better to eat pizza with friends than to eat sprouts alone.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 11:34:32 AM »
scampi,

My "kid" is all grown up now but as a child he was my toughest pizza critic. If the deep-dish pie I made didn't taste exactly like the deep-dish at Pizzeria Uno (the original in Chicago), I would hear about it. That didn't exactly encourage him to take up the craft of pizza making, and to this day he would prefer to stay entirely out of the kitchen. Of course, back then, I didn't really know what I was doing. It took a serious effort years later to figure out how to make a fairly decent pizza at home. Some of this knowledge was passed on to my daughter-in-law who now makes pizzas for my son. And he loves her pizzas. After all these years, the circle is now closed.

Peter

Offline GW

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 12:08:48 PM »
We've been making pizza at home ever since my son was about five months old.  I always have to make a small dough ball just for him.  I'll strech it out for him and he'll put the sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings he wants onto it, then I'll put it in the oven for him.  He loves to make his own, and gets dissapointed if I only make one large pie for everyone.  However, sometimes, he still wants the pizza guy to come to the door  ::)

G

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 12:37:19 PM »
My wife and kids prefer my home-made pizza to anything you can buy.   My kids have never liked Domino's or Papa John's.  My wife dislikes pizza in general, but she says she really loves mine.  There are still a couple of local pizzarias that I'll buy from very occasionally.  If I have time, though, the preference in my house hands-down is for home-made.

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 06:20:26 PM »
(http://www.longridersbbq.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/making.JPG.w560h371.jpg)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 06:22:39 PM by Kinsman »
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana