Author Topic: A New NY Style Test Dough  (Read 5140 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: A New NY Style Test Dough
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »
Norma,

Can you confirm that there is flour and water in the dough?

Peter

Lol Peter,

Yes, I can confirm that there was flour and water in the dough. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Skee

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »
I don't think that will be much of any help to you though.
With all the work you've done on reverse-engineering pizza?  Knowing what's not in a recipe can be just as important as knowing what is.  ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »
With all the work you've done on reverse-engineering pizza?  Knowing what's not in a recipe can be just as important as knowing what is.  ;)

Britt,

That might be true that knowing what’s not in a recipe can be important, but I can give you an example of the boardwalk thread I am now working on.  I only changed the variables of the TF and a little less sugar in the dough and got different results.  I have been on reverse-engineering threads, but it takes a long while to understand everything and then there are even links to study to be able to help the reverse-engineering and cloning process.  Even using a different oven or mixer with different attachments can give different results.  Even if I was able to post the recipe I used, probably members wouldn’t get the same results as I did.

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2013, 11:19:52 PM »
Even if I was able to post the recipe I used, probably members wouldn’t get the same results as I did.
Very true Norma.  I've spent a fair amount of time cloning beers and the process is a lot simpler, fewer variables and fairly standard practices across most breweries for example, but even with the actual recipe in hand unless you know a few key details it's tough to make something that exactly matches a specific product (beer or pizza).  It is fun to try, though, and consuming the experimental results is good, too.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2013, 11:41:49 PM »
Britt,

That might be true that knowing what’s not in a recipe can be important, but I can give you an example of the boardwalk thread I am now working on.  I only changed the variables of the TF and a little less sugar in the dough and got different results.  I have been on reverse-engineering threads, but it takes a long while to understand everything and then there are even links to study to be able to help the reverse-engineering and cloning process.  Even using a different oven or mixer with different attachments can give different results.  Even if I was able to post the recipe I used, probably members wouldn’t get the same results as I did.

Norma

Norma,

I could not have said it better myself.   ^^^
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
Very true Norma.  I've spent a fair amount of time cloning beers and the process is a lot simpler, fewer variables and fairly standard practices across most breweries for example, but even with the actual recipe in hand unless you know a few key details it's tough to make something that exactly matches a specific product (beer or pizza).  It is fun to try, though, and consuming the experimental results is good, too.

Britt,

Interesting that you spent a fair amount of time cloning beers.  That sounds fun!  ;D My friend Steve (Ev) also has done that and told me about his results.  He told me it is hard to reverse engineer the beers too.  I agree with you too even though we don’t get the exact results it is fun to try the experiments.  I guess it has to do with the journey in making pizza or beers.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2013, 07:45:34 AM »
Norma,

I could not have said it better myself.   ^^^

Mike,

I recall when we were on that Luigi’s thread and we both got different results using the same formulations.  I guess we never really did clone that pizza either, or at least I didn’t.   :-D

Norma

pizzapan