Author Topic: Uno/Malnati Style Deep Dish Pizza  (Read 90144 times)

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
Re: Uno/Malnati Style Deep Dish Pizza
« Reply #340 on: September 01, 2008, 09:07:23 AM »
I redid the dough yesterday, kneading only for about a minute.  The results were much better.  I suspect the amount of dough and the amount of kneading coincide.  The crust was crisp, more biscuit-y than bready.  Very tasty.  Thanks for the help, everyone. --db

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »
Loowaters, you mentioned you're using a different formulation with more oil.  The last two pies I made with my current formulation, I had sticking on the bottom despite using a fair amount of oil (or what I thought was a fair amount of oil).  This is regardless of bake temperature or time -- I've been baking at 450F on a stone, steel, well seasoned pan (see previous posts with pics).  I tried lightly baking it and it still stuck.  Suggestions, folks?

David

Offline Mazz

• 186 miles SSW from Ginos East, Downtown Chicago
« Reply #342 on: September 13, 2008, 12:01:19 AM »
David - Have you tried using some Crisco on the bottom of the pan?  Back in the old days, when I first started making pies, my pan would stick.  Used some Crisco and that solved the problem.  Just a thought. - Mazz

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2008, 07:52:08 AM »
How much oil is a "fair amount"?  Does it coat the bottom? Pool in the pan?  Does come over the top when you pressit in the pan and pull it up the sides?
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #344 on: September 13, 2008, 08:46:31 AM »
Yesteday I used more oil -- too much I believe.  It was enough to practically have a slick over the entire pan, and yes some oil did come up around the edges as I formed the crust.  Is there a middle ground?  The crust was crisp, but a little heavy because of the oil.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #345 on: September 13, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »
As Mazz suggested, and I use it too, try going with Crisco.  It makes the patting it out into the pan much easier.  I've even combined Crisco with olive oil and whisking together to make a solid OO flavored fat to grease the pan.  Crisco will end your frustrations.
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #346 on: September 13, 2008, 03:10:45 PM »
Again as a person who doesn't messure, I can't give an amount.  I use enough to cover the bottom of the pan with a small amount of pooling.  The oil will come up with the dough as I pull it up the sides with making a mess.

Offline dbgtr

• Berkowitz Guitars
« Reply #347 on: September 13, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »
DKM, when you say pooling do you mean localized pools or enough that there is an even, albeit very thin pool of oil over the entire bottom of the pan such that some of the oil comes up with the dough as you form the crust.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #348 on: September 13, 2008, 08:50:19 PM »
DKM, when you say pooling do you mean localized pools or enough that there is an even, albeit very thin pool of oil over the entire bottom of the pan such that some of the oil comes up with the dough as you form the crust.

A localized pool, which in my pan is typical in or near the center.