Author Topic: starter smell  (Read 1214 times)

Offline vincentoc13

starter smell
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:36:57 AM »
Hi,

After the first day of activation of my ischia starter I noticed a strong smell coming from the starter, yeah it was pretty strong, but
by the third day it was gone.  It's been over a week now and it doesn't smell if its cold, but when I leave it out for a while it does have and little bit of a tangy smell to it, but no where near the initial activation.  Is this normal or should I throw it out and start over?  Oh yeah I heard you can rinse it if necessary, but that sounds a little iffie.
Thanks, 

Vincent

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: starter smell
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
Sounds pretty normal.  Have you tasted it?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
Not yet, but I made some dough with the starter that I will try this weekend. 

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
I just revived Ischia a week and a half ago. Yours seems to be following the same pattern as mine did. Just make sure you keep feeding it on schedule. If you leave it on the counter and don't feed it regularly, you'll probably get a lot more of an an alcohol smell. Tang is good (in a starter... not as powdered fake orange juice ;D).

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
I forgot my starter outside for few days without feeding, it had strong tangy smell. I fed it last night, still have strong smell, it  had foamy surface, I discarded 80%  and fed it in new container.  Did I ruin my starter?
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »
I forgot my starter outside for few days without feeding, it had strong tangy smell. I fed it last night, still have strong smell, it  had foamy surface, I discarded 80%  and fed it in new container.  Did I ruin my starter?

I doubt it, but only time will tell. I let mine go for a week without feeding sometimes with no ill effect.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.