Author Topic: Frozen Home Run Inn pizza heating instructions  (Read 4958 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Frozen Home Run Inn pizza heating instructions
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 12:41:17 PM »
I believe it does have layers.  What's weird about Home Run Inn is that end crust.  Almost reminds me of Lou Malnatis a little.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
The Chicago Tribune link I gave was correct but, as I mentioned to you before when you couldn't open some of my links, since the new forum software has been installed I have found that I have to put a space between the link and punctuation, such as a comma or period. This used to happen with the old software from time to time but not nearly with the frequency with which it is now happening. I have corrected my post by putting a space between the link and the period. Hopefully, it will now will work but I can't be certain because even after I have checked a link in Preview, it can cease to work in the final post.

Peter, see the following topic:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24060.msg244258.html#msg244258
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline redox

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
FWIW, I made a pizza using Garveys method, and another using the directions on the box.  The only difference I noticed was that I was able to get the top browner using Garveys method.  Both methods seemed to produce the same amount of flakiness for me.    :chef:
Thanks for the info. I'll keep using Garvey's method in that case. I like a brown top.

Offline redox

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »
Did anyone else get a chuckle at the following posts where pythonic gently mocks the attention to detail some members have and then Norma hits him up for some additional observations? Very funny.

Quote from: pythonic on March 21, 2013, 12:10:54 PM

Lol u guys and your home run inn pizza hacks.  You all crack me up.  C'mon is it really that good?  I live in Chicago and have had it fresh a couple times.  It's ok but my wife absolutely hates it.

Nate

Nate,

Lol,  I don't know what a real HRI pizza tastes like.  :-D That is what I am trying to find out.

Since you did have had a fresh HRI pizza did you see the layers in the bottom crust?  If you ever stop at HRI again could you please take a picture close-up of what the crumb looks like.

Norma

Offline redox

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
I took the second HRI frozen pizza out of the freezer today and will let it thaw overnight in the 'fridge. Plan on doing a 410 ° bake. The first pie done according to box instructions had a crust rim hard as a police baton.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
Did anyone else get a chuckle at the following posts where pythonic gently mocks the attention to detail some members have and then Norma hits him up for some additional observations? Very funny.

Quote from: pythonic on March 21, 2013, 12:10:54 PM

Lol u guys and your home run inn pizza hacks.  You all crack me up.  C'mon is it really that good?  I live in Chicago and have had it fresh a couple times.  It's ok but my wife absolutely hates it.

Nate

Nate,

Lol,  I don't know what a real HRI pizza tastes like.  :-D That is what I am trying to find out.

Since you did have had a fresh HRI pizza did you see the layers in the bottom crust?  If you ever stop at HRI again could you please take a picture close-up of what the crumb looks like.

Norma
Funny stuff redox.....I missed that one, thanks.  :)

Yeah, there ain't no stopping our Norma when she is on a mission...quite a gal!  8)

ps. you gonna like that defrosted 410 bake... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
I took the second HRI frozen pizza out of the freezer today and will let it thaw overnight in the 'fridge. Plan on doing a 410 ° bake. The first pie done according to box instructions had a crust rim hard as a police baton.

Jay,

I emailed someone at HRI about why my frozen pizza when baked had a gum line and asked about that.  I then mentioned in my next email what temperature did HRI use in their deck ovens years ago because I was interested in the history of HRI.  A person at HRI told me they use 450 degrees F now and also did use that temperature in their deck ovens years ago.  The person told me it is a good idea to defrosted the frozen pizzas first before the bake.  I didn't try that yet, but am going to.

I had enough pizzas this last weekend and that is why I didn't try defrosting first.   :-D

If you get that flakiness after defrosting and baking at whatever temperature you want to could you please post a picture. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline redox

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »
Norma,
Thanks for the info. Based on what you discovered I think I'll try a 450° bake.
I'll post a pic if I can keep both wife and dog away long enough.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:03:25 PM by redox »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
Based on what you discovered I think I'll try a 450° bake.
I'll post a pic if I can keep both wife and dog away long enough.

Good luck!

And when that fails, there's always 410°.  :P

Offline Garvey

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 02:57:18 PM »
[In case it wasn't obvious, that  ^ was a joke.  :D]

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »
I have reported on both ways...... that's the best I can do.   ;D

Offline redox

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 03:08:18 PM »
Ha! The emoticon gave it away.
I've got skin like a rhino and not easily offended.
And I know what rhino skin feels like. I've patted one on the side and had him suck my hand into his mouth while feeding him apples. It's ok as long as you keep your fingers in the front, the teeth are in the back of the mouth.

Offline redox

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
Bob,
Which way turned out best? I'm about 2 hours from baking one.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
It's in my reports.   :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 03:33:18 PM »
410 Jay.... smile!  :)      >:D

Offline redox

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »
I thought I'd try pre-heating the oven to 450 ° and turning it down to 410 ° when inserting the pizza.
There was some flakiness to the crust, not a lot, though. The rim was at least edible, not nearly as hard. The dog was able to eat it w/o utensils.  ;) Much less sauce on this one which was too bad, I liked the sauce on the other one from the 2-pack. They've got 3 or 4 other types of HRI pizza at Costco but I'm done with frozen pizza for quite awhile. I prefer to make my own. A couple of not very good pics to follow.

Offline redox

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
Ok Bob, that's enough frozen HRI. I'm gonna be trying some of your Chicago thin crust next time. My standards must be little higher now 'cause frozen just isn't doing it for me anymore.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 06:37:40 PM »
Ok Bob, that's enough frozen HRI. I'm gonna be trying some of your Chicago thin crust next time. My standards must be little higher now 'cause frozen just isn't doing it for me anymore.
:-D  I hear ya bro.... :-D
For frozen it ain't bad but man they make you work for that 'lil bit o flavah...and she's not a cheap date either  >:(
Bob's had his fill too...we live and we learn, right Jay.  ;)

Offline Garvey

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »
Frozen has its place, but Bob's right--you really have to work for it.  Frozen is my only option for pizza on a whim.  There is one edible restaurant pizza in my whole town, and I can't eat homemade "emergency dough" pizza anymore.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »
Garvey will you freeze any of your dough? and then thaw and use it?  Or is it fresh and planning ahead for you?  Just wondering!  I respect your tastes!  Thanks.