Author Topic: Frozen Home Run Inn pizza heating instructions  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Frozen Home Run Inn pizza heating instructions
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
Norma,

I think it is asking a lot for a frozen pizza to replicate a pizza that is made in a pizzeria. Unfortunately, there is no information like Nutrition Facts for the pizzas that HRI makes in its pizzerias. Also, when you try to translate a fresh pizzeria pizza to a frozen version, even when the formulations and ingredients and quantities are identical or nearly so, there are things that have to be changed to adapt the formulations to a high volume commercial setting, which is highly industrialized and computerized. Almost by definition, the pizzas can't be identical. Also, by the time that a frozen pizza made in one of the HRI plants reaches the consumer, who may hold the frozen pizzas in the freezer for some indefinite period of time, there is bound to be some degradation in quality by the time the pizza is baked in the consumer's oven.

I personally feel that the better approach is to take the HRI dough formulation, as best we understand it, from the frozen pizza side and translate that to the pizzeria side. In effect, we would be doing the opposite of what HRI has done to create the frozen pizza version from the pizzeria version. I would use essentially the same dough formulation but use a two or three day cold fermentation, and also the preparation methods that are used in the HRI pizzerias (and have been discussed previously in the other HRI threads). The two or three day cold fermentation alone will give more crust flavor. And, if you'd like, you can add things to the sauce to boost the flavor profile. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the pizza sauce used in the HRI pizzerias is now a version that came out of the HRI frozen pizza operation. It would be impractical to make two different sauces for the two operations. And since the HRI frozen pizza operation has become the tail that is wagging the dog in terms of revenue generation, it would make sense to use the pizza sauce used in the HRI frozen pizza plants in its pizzerias, even if it was designed to work in the sauce dispensing equipment used in the HRI plants and may not be as good as one that is specifically designed for a pizzeria.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
Sort of crazy isn't it Norma? I've had frozen HRI pizza that was bland as can be and then, like in my last one, had a pie that really put me in the mind of having one at their original 31st. location. What's going on here.   ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »
Peter,
I would like to mix one up for a 2-3 day cold ferment. Would you like to suggest a formula...I'll make a 12incher.

Bob

I can let one go 2 days and the other for 3 or more...

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 11:13:18 AM »
Sort of crazy isn't it Norma? I've had frozen HRI pizza that was bland as can be and then, like in my last one, had a pie that really put me in the mind of having one at their original 31st. location. What's going on here.   ::)
Bob,

That's a good question. I think what may be happening is that the HRI frozen pizzas of a given type (e.g., cheese, pepperoni, etc.) all weigh pretty much the same but the amounts of ingredients can vary from one pizza to another. So, in one pizza you may be getting more sauce or sausage or cheese than another. About the only constant is the pepperoni. There are always only 14 slices, whether that is for a pepperoni pizza or a sausage and pepperoni pizza, and their weights are almost identical (a bit under one ounce).

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Peter,
I would like to mix one up for a 2-3 day cold ferment. Would you like to suggest a formula...I'll make a 12incher.

Bob

I can let one go 2 days and the other for 3 or more...
Bob,

If you don't mind, please repeat your request over at the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6112.0.html so that this thread doesn't go too far off topic. Please also tell me what kind of pizza you want to make, that is, a cheese pizza, a pepperoni pizza or a sausage and pepperoni pizza.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2013, 11:49:06 AM »
Norma,

I think it is asking a lot for a frozen pizza to replicate a pizza that is made in a pizzeria. Unfortunately, there is no information like Nutrition Facts for the pizzas that HRI makes in its pizzerias. Also, when you try to translate a fresh pizzeria pizza to a frozen version, even when the formulations and ingredients and quantities are identical or nearly so, there are things that have to be changed to adapt the formulations to a high volume commercial setting, which is highly industrialized and computerized. Almost by definition, the pizzas can't be identical. Also, by the time that a frozen pizza made in one of the HRI plants reaches the consumer, who may hold the frozen pizzas in the freezer for some indefinite period of time, there is bound to be some degradation in quality by the time the pizza is baked in the consumer's oven.

I personally feel that the better approach is to take the HRI dough formulation, as best we understand it, from the frozen pizza side and translate that to the pizzeria side. In effect, we would be doing the opposite of what HRI has done to create the frozen pizza version from the pizzeria version. I would use essentially the same dough formulation but use a two or three day cold fermentation, and also the preparation methods that are used in the HRI pizzerias (and have been discussed previously in the other HRI threads). The two or three day cold fermentation alone will give more crust flavor. And, if you'd like, you can add things to the sauce to boost the flavor profile. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the pizza sauce used in the HRI pizzerias is now a version that came out of the HRI frozen pizza operation. It would be impractical to make two different sauces for the two operations. And since the HRI frozen pizza operation has become the tail that is wagging the dog in terms of revenue generation, it would make sense to use the pizza sauce used in the HRI frozen pizza plants in its pizzerias, even if it was designed to work in the sauce dispensing equipment used in the HRI plants and may not be as good as one that is specifically designed for a pizzeria.

Peter

Peter,

I agree that it is asking a lot for a HRI frozen pizza to replicate a fresh pizza that is made in HRI pizzerias.  I know HRI has all the high tech equipment to make HRI frozen pizzas, but also know there canít be anything better than tasting a fresh pizza to see what it tastes like.  I can understand why the pizzas canít be the same by definition.  I noticed last evening that the HRI pizza I baked didnít have as much sauce as the basic cheese HRI frozen pizza did that I baked before. 

I agree with you that the better approach is to take the HRI dough formulation, as best as we understand it and then try to make a fresh HRI clone pizza.  I appreciate you suggestions to do a two or three day cold fermentation for the skin.  I know my crust, sauce and cheese on my recent attempted HRI clone had a better flavor in the crust and toppings than the HRI frozen pizza I just baked last night, even though the formulation I used didnít fit right. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2013, 11:52:32 AM »

Bob,

I know it is kinda crazy.  The first HRI pizza I baked had a better flavor than the one I baked last evening, even though the crust was flaky last night and their was less of a gum line.  At least you have tasted a real HRI pizza.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
Bob,

I know it is kinda crazy.  The first HRI pizza I baked had a better flavor than the one I baked last evening, even though the crust was flaky last night and their was less of a gum line.  At least you have tasted a real HRI pizza.

Norma
Ha! But it was so long ago that I really don't remember the taste real well Norma.
All I do know is that it was like no other pizza I had ever had and it was real good. So good that I'm not yet ready to give up on trying to make something that I can't even remember what it tastes like!  :-D
Is that CrAzY or what? !  :'(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »
Ha! But it was so long ago that I really don't remember the taste real well Norma.
All I do know is that it was like no other pizza I had ever had and it was real good. So good that I'm not yet ready to give up on trying to make something that I can't even remember what it tastes like!  :-D
Is that CrAzY or what? !  :'(

Bob,

Lol, that you donít remember the taste that well.  :-D At least you memory does remind you that it was a great pizza.  I can understand why you arenít ready to give up.  What you are attempting to do doesnít sound that crazy to me.  What is even crazier to me is I never tasted a fresh HRI pizza, so I really wonít know if I get there if I try another attempt.  :-D

Norma

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »
Garvey will you freeze any of your dough? and then thaw and use it?  Or is it fresh and planning ahead for you?

Yeah, for me it's fresh and plan ahead.  I have a problem eating young dough--too many "off" flavors and too many digestibility issues.  I know dough can be frozen, but I've never done it.  Maybe I should give that a try.

Thanks!
Garvey

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontiŤres
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »
thanks Garvey! always appreciate your opinions!! and good palette!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

pizzapan