Author Topic: My NY Style Pizza (Pics posted)  (Read 3978 times)

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
My NY Style Pizza (Pics posted)
« on: January 14, 2006, 08:51:23 PM »
Here's my latest attempt at a NY style pizza.  I usually bake my pizzas at home, but this time I baked it at my friends pizza place. 

The pizza came out good, but it was a bit 'bready' and the crust didn't brown enough. 

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 08:52:08 PM »
More Pics

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 08:52:35 PM »
More Pics

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Re: My NY Style Pizza (Pics posted)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 09:41:04 PM »
YUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMY!
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 11:43:28 AM »
Here's my latest attempt at a NY style pizza.  I usually bake my pizzas at home, but this time I baked it at my friends pizza place. 

The pizza came out good, but it was a bit 'bready' and the crust didn't brown enough. 

what the heck?  u have access to a pizzeria and you're making your own dough? 

why not use your friend to teach you how his dough is made?

i'm assuming his dough 'browns' better than yours?  find out how your recipe or technique differs from his.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 03:34:38 PM »
what the heck?  u have access to a pizzeria and you're making your own dough? 

why not use your friend to teach you how his dough is made?

i'm assuming his dough 'browns' better than yours?  find out how your recipe or technique differs from his.

Well, I don't want an exact copy of their recipe.  I'm going for something a little different and am tweaking a single variable in each batch of dough I make.  I've gotten a lot of guidance from this forum and others as well.  I'm almost there!

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 01:41:04 AM »
I'm curious, how did you get such a nice rim on the crust?  It looks like you pinched it all around, did you do something like that to give it that lip?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 01:55:28 AM »
raji,

Your pies look great.  I especially like the look of the cheese after it melted.  It appears similar to what they used at a pizzeria I frequented as a kid.  What kind/brand of cheese is it?

Offline HungryFreak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:17:30 PM »
BUMP

I am very curious about that cheese too. I have never been able to have a finished pizza look like that, and that has always been one of my goals. I have never found a cheese I like.  :(

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 04:24:37 PM »
Hmm, maybe it's just me, but if I had a friend allowing me to use his oven, I'd be checking out his recipe.
Come on now, have you at least taken a peek while he was making his dough ?  >:D 

we promise, we won't tell  :P

Well, I don't want an exact copy of their recipe.  I'm going for something a little different and am tweaking a single variable in each batch of dough I make.  I've gotten a lot of guidance from this forum and others as well.  I'm almost there!

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 12:27:57 AM »
I'm curious, how did you get such a nice rim on the crust?  It looks like you pinched it all around, did you do something like that to give it that lip?

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.  You're exactly right.  I pinched the crust all around and then flipped the dough upside down.  In specific, I would place on hand around the outside of the crust and then use my fingers from my other hand to push against my outside hand to form the lip.  I'm not sure i explained too well, let me know if you have any questions. 

-Raj

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 12:30:06 AM »
raji,

Your pies look great.  I especially like the look of the cheese after it melted.  It appears similar to what they used at a pizzeria I frequented as a kid.  What kind/brand of cheese is it?

I'm not too sure about the cheese.  I'll look into it for you.  I've been using grande and polly-o and don't seem to get a very good result.  I'm wondering if it's because of my oven?  It'll melt ok, but it doesn't look quite as nice as the cheese in the pics I posted.  I'm a bit confused because I've heard nothing but good things about Grandes.

-Raj

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2006, 12:32:58 AM »
Hmm, maybe it's just me, but if I had a friend allowing me to use his oven, I'd be checking out his recipe.
Come on now, have you at least taken a peek while he was making his dough ?  >:D 

we promise, we won't tell  :P

So I haven't been around when they're making the dough.  But, they give me pointers.  As I was mentioning in my previous post, I'm not quite happy with how my crust is browning.  They suggested adding egg to the dough.  I'm a little reluctant to do that though.  I'm considering adding more oil to the cust.  that should help right?

-Raj

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 12:51:38 AM »
raji,

I don't know what your dough formulation looks like, but you might consider adding some sugar to your dough to get added coloring. I don't think that using more oil in the dough will help that much. It would work better if you coated the rim with it before baking. I also wouldn't use eggs. I would rather use something like dried dairy whey to get more color in the crust. If you aren't using a bread flour or high-gluten flour, using either of these will also yield more color in the crust. In terms of baking technique, you could also bake the pizza on a screen to allow a longer bake and slide the pizza onto the deck of the oven to get better bottom browning once the top crust is at the level of color you want.

Peter

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »
Yeah add a little sugar to the dough and see if that helps, I wouldn't really worry about it that much.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 06:06:29 PM »
raji,

Hi there,

The cheese from the pics above is Precious Whole Milk Mozzarella.  It's available at most grocery stores here in Northern California.  Not sure how easy it is to find elsewhere.

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 10:02:32 PM »
Raji - How hot was the oven before you put the pie in and how long was it at heat.  When I used to do this for a living we had the oven on for a LONG time before baking.  Now that I'm doing this at home I have no trouble getting a nicely browned crust using KA bread flour and about a TB of EVOO in an oven at 585 degrees using a stone that has been preheated for an hour.  Assuming you get to the crisp but chewy texture on the pizza, don't be surprised if the cheese starts to come apart.

Bill

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 10:08:53 PM »
Raji - By the way, the easiest way to get a great rim is to avoid pushing it down with your fingers.  In other words, use your fingers, splayed out, and push the dough down and out, but don't push down the last half inch.  Since it hasn't been pushed down it will naturally have more intact bubbles and will expand into a quarter size "handle" all the way around.

Bill

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 09:52:51 PM »
Raji - How hot was the oven before you put the pie in and how long was it at heat.  When I used to do this for a living we had the oven on for a LONG time before baking.  Now that I'm doing this at home I have no trouble getting a nicely browned crust using KA bread flour and about a TB of EVOO in an oven at 585 degrees using a stone that has been preheated for an hour.  Assuming you get to the crisp but chewy texture on the pizza, don't be surprised if the cheese starts to come apart.

Bill

It's not the oven that's the problem.  If you look at the pics above, you'll notice the pie is being baked at a pizzeria.  They cook at around 550 I believe.  The recipe needed more oil and/or sugar.