Author Topic: Do I have to Insulate?  (Read 972 times)

Offline Great White North

Do I have to Insulate?
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »
I'm asking if I have to insulate a heavy concrete kit oven. Manufacturer says no. Dunno why, but I'm having a hard time believing them. I want to cover it with culture stone (fake stone) & am thinking this will be a problem.

Advice  & opinions are appreciated.

Don

Offline ForrestM

Re: Do I have to Insulate?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
I'm sure that someone more knowledgable than myself will chime in, but I would say that no, you don't HAVE to.  That being said, you may WANT to.  The better insulated it is, the better it will hold the heat over a longer period of time.

What kit are you making?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:22:26 AM »
Is there a reason why you don't want to insulate it?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:48:15 PM »
No reason at all other than the manufacturer says I don't have to. I have decided that if I continue with this project I will insulate floor & walls.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:50:57 PM »
Forgot to mention: it is a kit manufactured by Stone Age Manufacturing - Amerigo Pizza Oven. Experiences/comments welcome.

thnx

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »
Like any oven if you don't insulate your heat is going to escape from the bottom and the top.
I looked at their oven and it is a half barrel stile and you definitely want to insulate or you are not going to get what you want out of it. Half barrels tend to have cold spots and no insulation would just add to the matter.
I would recommend 2" of ceramic fiber boards or 3" of perlite mix at the bottom and 3" of ceramic fiber blanket at the top or 5" of perlite mix.

Let me know if you need help sourcing the ceramic fiber or the perlite.

Best regards,

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
the stone facing will pop it gets very very hot unless do are doing NY style at 500 degrees . when yuou push it up to 1000 it will pop and mortar will develope surface cracks at minimum.  Not that the cracks are bad but if you insulate and enclose it you wont see em and nobody will get burned by accident . Let me know if you have any other ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline dineomite

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »
Like uninsulated houses, pizza ovens without any protection from heat loss require more wood. A 2" KAO wool blanket from a local foundry supply company is adequate. 2" Fiberboard underneath is ideal. I did the perlite thing and in my opinion does not insulate as well as the board. This is also available at a local foundry supply company.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
No reason at all other than the manufacturer says I don't have to. I have decided that if I continue with this project I will insulate floor & walls.

I don't want to be rude but from the very little I can tell about the style and quality of this particular oven (dreadful youtube video, frozen pizza, no insulation!!???!!) I have to ask: Why are you so focused on this oven?

John K

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »
Thnx for the feedback to all. If I do pursue this project, I will insulate generously. I just have seen that they have come up with an option/enhancment to this oven to add a flue recessed chimney to retail heat and relocate the chimney. Something to consider.

Its not that I am so focused on this oven, its just that I purchased it without any research, now I have to make a decision: make it work somehow or take the hit and purchase something else.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 12:05:43 AM »
Don,
 make it sing ! It will work ! Not optimal but he is workinf on modifications as we speak , let me know if you need any info or have further questions.  i have many a pie in this big guy barrels  please insulate !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan