Author Topic: KitchenAid Commmercial 8qt Mixer KSM8990  (Read 1065 times)

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
KitchenAid Commmercial 8qt Mixer KSM8990
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:12:06 PM »
My wife and I decided we would buy a new KA mixer for Christmas.  The 20 yr old KA 5 qt lift bowl mixer she has is still chugging away, but I wanted more dough capability and she wanted more capacity.  So, we bought the Commercial 8qt KSM8990. 

The basic mixer seems to share some or all the head parts of the 7 qt Commercial mixer KSM7990.   The speed control has a soft start position and a protective stub guard to prevent inadvertent bumping of the speed control lever to the on position.

It's a pretty nice mixer.  However, I noted that the yoke that holds the bowl flexes quite a bit with a mere 600 gram load of flour 62% hydration dough. I suspect they're going to have replacements of them from breaking.

Also, we wanted a flex edge blade beater and we found out the one for the 7 qt Commercial is fits the 8 qt as well.  In case anyone wants a flex edge beater for their 8 qt Commercial, the p/n is KAFE7L and the box states right on it that it fits the 7 and 8 qt and even lists the KSM8990. 

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
Re: KitchenAid Commmercial 8qt Mixer KSM8990
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:24:38 PM »
BTW, the mixer comes with 3 attachments.  The wisk, flat beater, and a spiral dough hook.  All are stainless steel.  I didn't think they would make them stainless steel other than the wisk.  But the spiral hook and the flat beater really are stainless steel...and heavy as heck.    That flex edge beater is an aluminum casting.  Still it's better than the 5 qt plastic one my wife has for the smaller mixer.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Re: KitchenAid Commmercial 8qt Mixer KSM8990
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 06:58:16 AM »
bbqchuck, very very nice, I'm so jealous, that mixer looks great - if you add a seat and some wheels I think you could hot rod it down the street.

I would love to get one but I already have two other KA mixers, If I even mentioned another mixer there would be a tragic closet door accident (in involving my head) that night.

Please let us know how it works - I plan to live out my new KA 8qt mixer dreams vicariously through you, if that is OK  ;D

pizzapan