Author Topic: Pizza Expo 2013: Tony G.'s Workshop pictures  (Read 1481 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
Pizza Expo 2013: Tony G.'s Workshop pictures
« on: March 22, 2013, 05:20:10 PM »
I attended the 2-day Workshop with Tony Gemignani.  First day was about making different styles of dough: starter for sourdough, preferment (poolish vs biga) for dough. He discussed balling, storing and staging (order in mixing ingredients)  process. 

He talked about different types of flour.  When making Neopolitan pies, he uses San Felice and Caputo.  When he uses San Felice for the starter, he uses Caputo for the dough, and vice versa.  He doesn't follow the strict guidelines to making Neo since he uses a Hobart mixer, and 10% starter. When making NY pies, he uses only All Trumps. When making Chicago style, he uses Saratoga flour. For organic flour, he prefers Central Milling.

Thezeman, please feel free to add comments..or make corrections..the days were quite overwhelming that I'm still recovering, and deciphering my notes. I will add more information after I post pictures.

On the second day, Tony demonstrated kneading/rolling, topping and using the different ovens. He made pizza  Romana, Neopolitan, and NY style. Volunteers including Larry, Thezeman, made amazing pies for everyone to taste.

I've included pictures of Elizabeth Falkner, a celebrity chef-restauranteur and competitor in the 2011, "The Next Iron Chef" on the Food Network. She moved from SF to Brooklyn and will be opening a pizzeria in Brooklyn. She took a class with Tony G.  Is anyone familiar with her?? Seems really cool.  Don't watch cable TV, so I'm out of the loop. For the demo, she made her award winning Neo pie - using braised fennel and fennel pollen in the topping. Mark included the recipe on his post. It looked delicious - not enough to go around!

Offline CopperTop

Re: Pizza Expo 2013: Tony G.'s Workshop pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:27:59 PM »
Pictures taken during the workshop:

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »
And more....

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »
Tony looks like a NASCAR driver with the sponsors and autographs. :-D

Elizabeth Faulkner's pizza place Krescendo is open and has been reviewed on Slice.
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/02/brooklyn-review-falkners-krescendo-pizzeria.html

Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
And more....

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 06:44:32 PM »
And the last three...

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
Sharlene, excellent pics. Put my IPad pics to shame. Thank you. So nice to meet you and John and Larry at the expo.
Last night in Vegas. Back to reality in the AM.
Hope you got all you wanted out of the trip!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »
Had some comments on the photos:

#1 Set: Took photos of the flours used during the workshop.  Laura Meyer measuring the yeast - she's the office manager as well as in charge of his school in SF. She'd be the contact person if you are interested in his 3-4 day Professional Track or 1-day Home Chef Course. Tony is very expressive with his hands. Volunteers from the audience balling dough.

#2 Set: Sold a children's book and pizza cookbook (tailored to the home chef) - signing autographs. Check out those tats! Yes, my hubby thought the same - NASCAR. Dressing and serving a Roman style pizza. The last photo of the round pie was made by Tom Palumbino - I think he was one of the celebrity chefs or previous winners.

#3 Set: Tony and Roberto presents a "Lifetime Achievement Award" to Antonio Starita.  It was a total surprise for Antonio who was tickled pink when he got the award.  Did you know that his pizzeria in Naples was immortalized in Sophia Loren's film "L'Oro di Napoli"?! Which I was more impressed with than serving pizza to the Pope. Just saying.  Jeff Smokevitch won first place in his division, making a Detroit style pizza (with cheese below the crust?).  I wonder if that's his real last name. I can't remember this rectangle pizza...which looks rather well done. Melissa from Wholly Stromboli volunteers to make a pie as well as our very own Larry (Thezeman) to courageously volunteer.

#4: Tony, Elizabeth Faulkner making Panna (pizza sauce) for her award winning Finochinno Flower Power Neo pie...looking delicious.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »
Sharlene, excellent pics. Put my IPad pics to shame. Thank you. So nice to meet you and John and Larry at the expo.
Last night in Vegas. Back to reality in the AM.
Hope you got all you wanted out of the trip!

Mark

Mark, it was great meeting you too! I'm glad you got to witness the presentation award to Antonio Starita, too.  I actually got it on video too. The iPad video turned out better than my DSLR video.  Will post as soon as I figure out how to do it.  How were Thursday's events?  Next year, I want to stay longer so we'd have more time to hang out and chat.  I'm glad we went to the Expo -got a lot of great information, saw familiar faces from NYC, and got to meet you, John, Larry and Marlon.  It's great to be able to put a face with a moniker.

Sharlene

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
Re: Tony.  Nice to see he displays a bromated flour that is not supposed to be used in California.  Gotta love it.  -Marc

pizzapan