Author Topic: A baking steel question  (Read 2695 times)

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: A baking steel question
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
I'm considering getting a baking steel too but at 30 lbs, the 1/2" one would be way too cumbersome to constantly move in and out of my oven. 

i leave mine in my oven most of the time but I personally don't find it all that cumbersome to move, I just make sure that I have it firmly in my hands before moving and that I pay attention to how I'm moving it so i don't do something to my back

Offline derricktung

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 08:04:29 AM »
i leave mine in my oven most of the time but I personally don't find it all that cumbersome to move, I just make sure that I have it firmly in my hands before moving and that I pay attention to how I'm moving it so i don't do something to my back

^^^  Since it helps with oven heat retention, we leave it in the oven for pre-bakes for just about anything.  While it takes slightly longer for the oven to preheat properly, you'll find that your oven maintains temperature far better, even with the occasional door openings.

And make sure you do get a good grip.  I almost dropped the steel on my toe once... that would not have been pretty...

Offline blackshifter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 02:22:59 AM »
Derrick I got my steel plate at Speedy Metals in New Berlin, WI. It's not too far of a drive but I had my friend pick it up for me since they come down to Chicago every month. They sold a 15" x 15" x .5" for about $36.

Scott, Deb I have an old old oven with no top broiler. I've gotten around this problem by placing quarry tiles on the rack above. It makes launching pizzas interesting but it is doable. The steel plate in my set up on the second rack will hit ~580F and the bottom of the quarry tiles will hit ~550F. Depending on recipe/sauce/cheese I will occasionally have to screen the pizzas for the 30 seconds of the bake. I get about a 4 to 4:30 minute bake. I'll post some pics with my set up and some pizzas in the near future.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:33:05 AM by blackshifter »

Offline derricktung

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »
Derrick I got my steel plate at Speedy Metals in New Berlin, WI. It's not too far of a drive but I had my friend pick it up for me since they come down to Chicago every month. They sold a 15" x 15" x .5" for about $36.

I obviously either did not do enough research, or  companies started making the steel more available after I bought it.  Thanks for the tip nonetheless!

Offline pdog

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
Hi,

Strange question....... What precautions would one need to take to make sure the steel is food safe?

Are there any dangers, or food hazards to consider when cooking on steel?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »
Hi,

Strange question....... What precautions would one need to take to make sure the steel is food safe?

Are there any dangers, or food hazards to consider when cooking on steel?
Don't cook on a rusty, corroded one. That's all...  Well, even that probably wouldn't "harm" you but I doubt it would taste good.   :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"