Author Topic: Grocery cheese needs Love  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Grocery cheese needs Love
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
I often see member scott123 over on the NY section recommending folks can add some evoo to their shred mozz for a flavor boost....how much extra virgin love should one apply? "As much as possible" is not a good answer.  :-D

Also....and I am serious....anyone have good results adding Swiss cheese to the mozz on a NY style pizza? I am willing to try anything at this point now pizza pals.  :(

Thanks so much..... ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Grocery cheese needs Love
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:21:03 AM »
I boost the flavor by blending other cheeses with my mozzarella. Try some cheeses which are a little fattier than mozzarella. Among I ones I often might use are cheddar, asiago, fontina, provolone, kasseri and caciocavallo. Use sharper cheeses very sparingly, the flavor can be too sharp if you use too much. Also, since these cheeses are richer than mozzarella, you will get some oiling off from them.

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
I would think provolone or fontina would be your best bet to compensate for a weak mozz.  They have similar melting qualities and the flavor complements the mozzarella better than swiss would which can be somewhat bland.  In my experience, sprinkling a little romano cheese over the top helps to boost flavor as well.  I used to drizzle EVOO on the top of my pies but stopped doing it because even though it looks cool, it tended to make my pies greasy.  Unless you use a very fruity olive oil and drizzle it on after the bake, I doubt the flavor will be discernable. 

I prefer straight mozz on my pies but from time to time experiment with blending in other cheeses.  Feta is a favorite of mine and gives a good flavor boost.  Recently I was short on mozzarella and mixed in a little bit of aged sharp cheddar.  I quite enjoyed the taste but noticed the cheddar browned a lot faster than the mozz and the top layer of cheese turned a somewhat unappealing brown color. 

Offline grathan

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
The best thing I've done for better cheese flavor was to cut back on sauce spices. Haven't tried swiss yet, sounds interesting.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Thank you for the responses so far pizza pals...I probably should have been a bit clearer though, I have tried all of the usual suspects in creating cheese blends and was wondering if Swiss(pretty unusual) was a hit with anyone. I think it might melt in there pretty good, no? I'll give it a shot and see.
Thanks.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:06:57 PM »
Swiss will definitely give you some string, if that's what your looking for. As for flavor, I didn't care for it on pizza when I tried it, with one exception...Lorraine Swiss...but the stuff is pretty expensive. It has more of a creamy/buttery taste than most Swiss cheese.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »
Swiss will definitely give you some string, if that's what your looking for. As for flavor, I didn't care for it on pizza when I tried it, with one exception...Lorraine Swiss...but the stuff is pretty expensive. It has more of a creamy/buttery taste than most Swiss cheese.
Thank you Don..."creamy and buttery" is exactly what I'm looking for. Just trying to come up with a homespun Grande clone so I can tell Penn "The Pirate" Mac to.....jump back jack!  8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »
Bob,

I donít know if you recall PowerWagonPete posting about trying to make a Papa Dinoís Pizza, but he tried attempts with some Swiss at Reply 115 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg204907.html#msg204907  A photo of his slice at Reply 120 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg204963.html#msg204963 Pete also had another post at Reply 144 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg208064.html#msg208064  You asked Pete at Reply 146 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg208074.html#msg208074 how he like the pizza with Swiss.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:36 PM »
Bob,

I donít know if you recall PowerWagonPete posting about trying to make a Papa Dinoís Pizza, but he tried attempts with some Swiss at Reply 115 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg204907.html#msg204907  A photo of his slice at Reply 120 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg204963.html#msg204963 Pete also had another post at Reply 144 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg208064.html#msg208064  You asked Pete at Reply 146 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg208074.html#msg208074 how he like the pizza with Swiss.

Norma
See...I knew there was a reason I had Swiss on the brain.  ;D Thank you Norma.  :-[

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
See...I knew there was a reason I had Swiss on the brain.  ;D Thank you Norma.  :-[

Bob,

No need to put that embarrassed face up.  There is just too much information here on the forum to remember it all.  I forget all the time.   :-D 

Good luck with your hunt!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
Bob,

No need to put that embarrassed face up.  There is just too much information here on the forum to remember it all.  I forget all the time.   :-D 

Good luck with your hunt!

Norma
Thanks, you are sweet.  8)

Offline blackshifter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 05:04:44 AM »
Have you tried Italian provolone? The really sharp ones? I bet that will give it a kick!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:06:17 AM by blackshifter »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
Have you tried Italian provolone? The really sharp ones? I bet that will give it a kick!
Yep, plain and smoked. That is probably the first one folks try...it's a natural and works great  :chef:

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
This may be a stupid thing to say But my co-worker that worked in a pizzeria in New York when we was growing up said they would sprinkle a little salt and a drizzle of EVOO on the motz then toss it before adding it to the pie. Makes Sense..yes, will it work..I want to find out!! Besides who doesnt like a salty slice lol

Offline dhorst

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »
I often think that fresh mozzarella needs a bit more salt and good drizzle of evoo, post oven.  One cheese that I like to use with dry mozzarella is muenster.  It has just enough tang and it melts really well.
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 07:32:29 AM »
I've heard that Stella makes a good motz. Sams carries it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »
I've heard that Stella makes a good motz. Sams carries it.
Yes, it's OK. Just got a 3lb. bag yesterday @ $2.30 a lb.!  :)  Definitely needs provo or additional cheese flavor booster.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
It's kind of ridiculous that it's so hard to find a decent cheese around. At least I can't. personally dont like adding provolone.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
Favorite mix to date is Colby Jack and mozz, about equal proportions, rough cut-into 1/2" cubes so it takes a minute longer to get to the bubbling stage.  Garlic & sea salt grinder post bake.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the Stella mozzarella at Sam's is part-skim mozzarella. Personally i'm not a big fan of part-skim, I prefer the whole milk.