Author Topic: Grocery cheese needs Love  (Read 4104 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Grocery cheese needs Love
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, the Stella mozzarella at Sam's is part-skim mozzarella. Personally i'm not a big fan of part-skim, I prefer the whole milk.
You are correct sir!  Works great for my Chicago thin pizzas though.

And I'm with Camaro10...ridiculous there is no good cheese readily available!   Really ticks me off man.  >:(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »
It's hard to find whole milk as well unless I want to use kraft. I'm going to cave in soon and buy grande even with the 25$ shipping :(.   

At the end of the day if your cheese sucks than your pizza sucks. I may search the shelves of restaurant depot one last time before I buy into the whole grande madness.  No trader joes around here.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »
It's hard to find whole milk as well unless I want to use kraft. I'm going to cave in soon and buy grande even with the 25$ shipping :(.   

At the end of the day if your cheese sucks than your pizza sucks. I may search the shelves of restaurant depot one last time before I buy into the whole grande madness.  No trader joes around here.
Check for Sorrento (not Sargento) and Polly-O at grocery store. They both have whole mild variety.

Bob

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
 :(Sorrento, Polly-O (a Kraft brand), Stella, Frigo, Dragone and even Great Value (Walmart) all make whole milk mozzarella, and are all decent cheeses. Mozzarella by it's very nature is not an overly flavorfull cheese, it's basically milk and salt, don't really know what people expect of it, it's not a long aged cheese which developes flavor over time. Paying a fortune for it isn't gonna buy you much more either! :(
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 02:06:13 PM »
This may me a stupid question but if whole milk has more Flavor then part skim then why don't more people use it? Is excessive oiling the only reason?

scott123

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »
:(Sorrento, Polly-O (a Kraft brand), Stella, Frigo, Dragone and even Great Value (Walmart) all make whole milk mozzarella, and are all decent cheeses. Mozzarella by it's very nature is not an overly flavorfull cheese, it's basically milk and salt, don't really know what people expect of it, it's not a long aged cheese which developes flavor over time. Paying a fortune for it isn't gonna buy you much more either! :(

Oh, I disagree  ;D While grocery motz sees very little aging, if any, foodservice motz can see as long as a month or more.  There's a butteriness and a richness to foodservice motz that can't be found in grocery motz. I'm no longer a Grande fanatic, but I'm still a huge believer in foodservice cheese- and foodservice cheese, even in bulk, is not cheap.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
Bob what might help you get that buttery flavor is....butter.  I drizzle melted butter and sprinkle pecorino on my NY pies.  You get buttery, salty, and added flavor to your mozz.

Scott why are you no longer a Grande fanatic?

scott123

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
This may me a stupid question but if whole milk has more Flavor then part skim then why don't more people use it? Is excessive oiling the only reason?

Some people are not big fans of oil-y pizza (weird, I know), but I think the larger driving factor is health.

scott123

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
Bob what might help you get that buttery flavor is....butter.  I drizzle melted butter and sprinkle pecorino on my NY pies.  You get buttery, salty, and added flavor to your mozz.

Scott why are you no longer a Grande fanatic?

You know, I thought about drizzling butter many many times.  I also pondered grating very cold/frozen butter with a hard cheese grater to create the lightest possible layer. It's not a bad idea, but I think the milkfat and flavor compounds in a 'true' aged foodservice motz are more than just butter.

If someone were intent on resurrecting grocery cheese, and they were leaning towards enrichment, and I was eating their pizza, I'd definitely prefer butter than evoo.  The vegetal notes of evoo work perfectly on a NP pie, but on NY, it's just wrong, imo.

My last batch of Grande was a bit bland.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25487.msg256935.html#msg256935

I'm just not feeling very Grande any more  ;D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 02:28:32 PM »
Scott as long as you don't overdo it on the butter it will take your cheese up a notch.  So just a light drizzle.    I put it into one of those cheap plastic squeeze bottles with a small hole cut at the tip.  Try it you'll thank me later.  Also be aware if you are using salted butter vs. Unsalted. 

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
I'll agree that a good mozz from a food service beats the stuff in the store, I  have mentioned on several occasions that I buy 5 lb. bricks of Sorrento from a food service outlet. That said, it still remains that mozz is a mild cheese no matter how long it's been aging, and I personally spend the extra$$$ to try Grande and was not impressed in the least. I have one source (and it will remain anonymous) where I can get outstanding mozzarella, and ONE only! The rest of the stuff is all pretty much the same. Lately, I've been using Dragone in a pinch and I'd rate it one of the best store bought brands. I mix other cheeses with mozzarella to get around it's lack of flavor.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 02:53:50 PM »
If you have access to some good (and I do mean GOOD) cheese curds, grate them up and try them on your pizza! ;)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »
Some people are not big fans of oil-y pizza (weird, I know), but I think the larger driving factor is health.

:-D :-D :-D yeah, I love it. People thing oily cheese is cheap, the "oil" is the fat that comes out of the cheese at high heat. Fatty cheese is the good stuff!

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »
I'll agree that a good mozz from a food service beats the stuff in the store, I  have mentioned on several occasions that I buy 5 lb. bricks of Sorrento from a food service outlet. That said, it still remains that mozz is a mild cheese no matter how long it's been aging, and I personally spend the extra$$$ to try Grande and was not impressed in the least. I have one source (and it will remain anonymous) where I can get outstanding mozzarella, and ONE only! The rest of the stuff is all pretty much the same. Lately, I've been using Dragone in a pinch and I'd rate it one of the best store bought brands. I mix other cheeses with mozzarella to get around it's lack of flavor.

Sharing is caring.

scott123

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »
That said, it still remains that mozz is a mild cheese no matter how long it's been aging, and I personally spend the extra$$$ to try Grande and was not impressed in the least.

Dave, when you previously talked about your disappointing Grande experience, because of my history baking with Grande, I took your comment with a grain of salt, but, with my recent Grande experince, I can see now that you were right.  I'm still a huge believer in foodservice motz, but Grande is not what it used to be.  At this point, I'm still struggling to find the foodservice motz of my dreams without having to spend a fortune buying around eight different brands of 6 lb. logs.  I do know it exists, though, because, even though the crusts in my local pizzeria are woeful, the cheese is on par with what it has been in the past.  If they're still getting good cheese, I should be able to score the same stuff.

How is the sorrento FS vs. the sorrento grocery? Have you been able to taste them side by side?  Sorrento FS will most likely be my next foray into foodservice cheese due to the fact that one of my supermarket delis offers it sliced (at $6/lb.- ouch).

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
Scott as long as you don't overdo it on the butter it will take your cheese up a notch.  So just a light drizzle.    I put it into one of those cheap plastic squeeze bottles with a small hole cut at the tip.  Try it you'll thank me later.  Also be aware if you are using salted butter vs. Unsalted.
Does anybody know of a good mister...I've had those stainless steel looking ones called "Misto" and they don't work good.

scott123

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »

I've pretty much sworn off grocery motz, but should I ever 'slum' it again ;D I'll give it a shot.  Unsalted, of course, as I've never had an aged motz, grocery or foodservice, that wasn't a tad on the salty side.

scott123

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
Does anybody know of a good mister...I've had those stainless steel looking ones called "Misto" and they don't work good.

The last time this topic came up, it got pretty heated, and, as far as I recall, no clear cut frontrunners emerged as quality products. I believe a lot of it boils down to the luck of the draw.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
Well if grande cheese isn't living up to its hype anymore and it's the saple of many popular pizzerias then we have a dilemma. Either they are using a different brand or we are setting out expectations too high????

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »
The last time this topic came up, it got pretty heated, and, as far as I recall, no clear cut frontrunners emerged as quality products. I believe a lot of it boils down to the luck of the draw.
10-4..thanks Scott. In the body shop I use these small metal canisters for various cleaning products, etc. Has a schrader/air valve on it to charge it with air...maybe I'll try that.  ;D