Author Topic: Grocery cheese needs Love  (Read 2790 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Grocery cheese needs Love
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
Sorrento's food service mozzarella seems to be a bit firmer and dryer than the stuff you pick up in the grocery store. I can usually get it for about $2.25 a pound, the price fluctuates with the cheese market. I'd say it's slightly better tasting, again, I really don't get a hell of a lot of taste out of any mozzarella, but it is richer. I like the fact that's it's firm and can be grated easily, I run  it through a Presto salad shooter and it doesn't gum it up in the process.
Sharing is caring! ^^^ to disagree
Every mister I've ever bought wound up in the trash shortly after purchase!

Online scott123

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
I like the fact that's it's firm and can be grated easily

Alright, I'm sold. Non gummy grating is a sign of aging (drier/less moisture).  My grocery sorrento is very gummy, so maybe there's hope for a different process for the foodservice grade.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
Haven't tested this out but before you toss out your mister...I've been told tha they tend to get gummed up and you need to periodically soak the cap in hot water to clear them out.  Try that and it should clear up the problem.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2013, 03:46:15 PM »
Sorrento's food service mozzarella seems to be a bit firmer and dryer than the stuff you pick up in the grocery store. I can usually get it for about $2.25 a pound, the price fluctuates with the cheese market. I'd say it's slightly better tasting, again, I really don't get a hell of a lot of taste out of any mozzarella, but it is richer. I like the fact that's it's firm and can be grated easily, I run  it through a Presto salad shooter and it doesn't gum it up in the process.
Sharing is caring! ^^^ to disagree
It costs 5 bucks a pound here for grocery store Sorrento! It's as white as can be an no flavor...melts good though
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »
I also find the Sorrento you pick up in the 1 pound block in grocery stores to be softer and wetter, that's why I always buy mine in the 5 lb. brick at a food service distributor. It's very possible that the two cheeses are produced differently. Sorrento's ricotta cheese has two different formulas depending on where and what size container you buy. The stuff in grocery stores is usually crap, the bigger 3 lb. containers sold through clubs like BJ's are much better and the have a shorter list of ingredients. I'm not trying to sell anyone on Sorrento, just passing along my own experiences.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
I have one of those old "Super Grater"(very large grate holes) and I do fine with the 1lb. Sorrento. You're right though Dave, that and Polly-O 1lb.er's can get pretty wet.

I have no food service outlets any where near me here in pizza waste land central NC.  >:(

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
Bob, some of the Saputo brands of mozzarella are usually drier than the Sorrento, Polly or Wallyworld brand. Try finding Dragone or Stella, they may be more to your liking.

Online scott123

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
I have no food service outlets any where near me here in pizza waste land central NC.  >:(

You've got plenty of pizzerias in Durham, right?  If you've got pizzerias, you've got a distribution network for commercial cheese and flour.  I am in no way saying that it will be easy to tap into that as a non commercial entity, but, when there's a will, there's usually a way.

I'm curious, do you own your own business?  Do you have a tax code? That will go a long way in dealing with some of these distributors, even if the tax code is for a company that's entirely unrelated food related.

The also the more expensive option of befriending a pizzeria owner.  You're a pretty friendly guy, Bob  :) Is there a pizzeria owner that you could befriend who could buy you some of this stuff? (at a markup, of course). 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:21:51 PM by scott123 »

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:47 AM »
Bob,

Do you have access to boars head mozzarella?  If you do you can always go 50/50 with your Stella to help keep your cost down.  My personal favorite is 50 Mozz/30 Prov/20 White Cheddar.

Asiago is good too.  I remember playing around with all sorts of cheese combos when I first started out.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
Don't you guys every get tired of having to mix cheese just to get the taste you want. I know some pizzerias do this commonly but I wish there was a good enough motz that didn't require compensation from another cheese. I'm sure there is a motz somewhere that's is a hidden gem. Finding it is the problem.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 11:56:56 AM »
You've got plenty of pizzerias in Durham, right?  If you've got pizzerias, you've got a distribution network for commercial cheese and flour.  I am in no way saying that it will be easy to tap into that as a non commercial entity, but, when there's a will, there's usually a way.

I'm curious, do you own your own business?  Do you have a tax code? That will go a long way in dealing with some of these distributors, even if the tax code is for a company that's entirely unrelated food related.

The also the more expensive option of befriending a pizzeria owner.  You're a pretty friendly guy, Bob  :) Is there a pizzeria owner that you could befriend who could buy you some of this stuff? (at a markup, of course).
Thank you Scott. A couple years ago(when I didn't need as I do now) I had an owner that was real cooperative but he's moved on. Got a slice joint I've been going to recently and building a rapport with this guy but he owns 4 other places and I don't catch him too often.

My GF has a tax code...wonder what the semi truck driver for Roma Foods would think when he pulls up to the address and see's it is a small beauty salon!  ;D

Online scott123

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »
My GF has a tax code...wonder what the semi truck driver for Roma Foods would think when he pulls up to the address and see's it is a small beauty salon!  ;D

As long as he gets paid, I don't think he'll bat an eyelash.

I just checked the Roma Foods website- they have a nice selection of cheeses and a Durham distribution center (which I'm sure you know).  You have a call to make :)

"Hi Roma Foods sales rep, my name is Bob and I manage a small beauty salon.  We're thinking of putting in a pizza oven and selling pizza and are in the process of investigating different distributors.  It will most likely be a small pizza business, so we won't be ordering much, and, during our planning stages, we will be ordering practically nothing- just lots of samples to get an idea of the products you sell.  Do you have minimum orders for deliveries, and, if so, how much?  Also, if we are customers (ie you have our information on file), can we purchase items at your distribution center?  Lastly, we'd like to sample one or two of your cheeses and one or two of your flours.  How do we go about doing that?"

It's not really that far from the truth.  If you're here, you have professional aspirations to open a pizzeria, just not in your GF's salon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
As long as he gets paid, I don't think he'll bat an eyelash.

I just checked the Roma Foods website- they have a nice selection of cheeses and a Durham distribution center (which I'm sure you know).  You have a call to make :)

"Hi Roma Foods sales rep, my name is Bob and I manage a small beauty salon.  We're thinking of putting in a pizza oven and selling pizza and are in the process of investigating different distributors.  It will most likely be a small pizza business, so we won't be ordering much, and, during our planning stages, we will be ordering practically nothing- just lots of samples to get an idea of the products you sell.  Do you have minimum orders for deliveries, and, if so, how much?  Also, if we are customers (ie you have our information on file), can we purchase items at your distribution center?  Lastly, we'd like to sample one or two of your cheeses and one or two of your flours.  How do we go about doing that?"

It's not really that far from the truth.  If you're here, you have professional aspirations to open a pizzeria, just not in your GF's salon.
You are quite a character Scott and I appreciate the nudging.  :)
I am going to make that call(again)asked them a couple years ago if I could stop by their business and buy some cash an carry Grande. :-\
But I got a plan now thanks to you....my GF doesn't worry too much about me running them up out of there to sell pizzas; there's a pizzeria right next door. they suck though an the owner is a jag...so ya never know!  >:D

Online scott123

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »
Would you like a slice while you're waiting for your highlights to be processed?  ;D

Offline dhorst

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 07:12:25 AM »
Would you like a slice while you're waiting for your highlights to be processed?  ;D

Hah, former hairdresser here.  I could nail them both. ;D
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2013, 03:35:47 PM »
Hah, former hairdresser here.  I could nail them both. ;D
Were you ever able to get Roma Foods to deliver product to the beauty parlour D ?    :(

Offline dhorst

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »
Were you ever able to get Roma Foods to deliver product to the beauty parlour D ?    :(

Afraid not Bob.  I do miss doing hair though.  Great money, but after developing asthma, I had to get out. :(
For the love of Aleppo chile, ask and you shall receive.

pizzapan