Author Topic: Pizza Expo 2013: Award presented to Don Antonio Starita  (Read 1526 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
Pizza Expo 2013: Award presented to Don Antonio Starita
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:40:52 PM »
It was an honor to be a witness of such event!  Both Tony G. and Roberto Caporuscio presented Don Antonio Starita with a "Lifetime Achievement Award".  He is a third generation pizza maker; he started handling dough at the tender age of 12 in Naples.  His pizzeria is one of the oldest establishments in Naples. His restaurant was immortalized in Sophia Loren's film "L'Oro di Napoli". Although he is more known, as being selected to present a pizza to Pope John Paul II.

Can someone tell me if I'm able to upload video directly onto the forum, or do I link it from Youtube?  I took a short video of the presentation, and it would be cool if someone could translate Don Antonio Starita's comments upon receiving the award.

Offline CopperTop

Re: Pizza Expo 2013: Award presented to Don Antonio Starita
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »
And more.  The award was a surprise to Don Starita.  Not sure if you can see his face while Roberto and Tony are whispering to each other.  Priceless.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:01:28 AM »
 man,where the hell was i when this went on????that is amazing!!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 02:14:20 PM »
And Fred Mortani  Orlando foods also on the scene.  Larry you were at the beer pavilion where else   :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
When I posted a short video last year I was told to put it on YouTube and link to here. I think the link process has been made easier, but haven't heard of other ways to get video on the forum.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »
And Fred Mortani  Orlando foods also on the scene.  Larry you were at the beer pavilion where else   :-D
John
John, is Fred Mortani in the red shirt?

Sharlene

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
 Sharlene, Fred is in the picture holding the microphone for don Antonio. i would have introduced you but as john said i was to interested in the beer pavilion.Fred is realy a nice man and he is able to bridge the language barrier between the Italians and American audience.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:37:08 PM »
Sharlene, Fred is in the picture holding the microphone for don Antonio. i would have introduced you but as john said i was to interested in the beer pavilion.Fred is realy a nice man and he is able to bridge the language barrier between the Italians and American audience.

Thanks Larry.  Check out my blog again...I added a video clip of Don Antonio accepting the award.  How is your Italian?!  :D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »
Sharlene,

You can see what Larry meant about Fred Mortati acting as a bridge between Italians and Americans in the video that was recently put up by Pizzaddict at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24094.0.html. I thought that the video, which also features Roberto and Don Antonio, was quite good.

Peter

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »
Sharlene,

You can see what Larry meant about Fred Mortati acting as a bridge between Italians and Americans in the video that was recently put up by Pizzaddict at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,24094.0.html. I thought that the video, which also features Roberto and Don Antonio, was quite good.

Peter

Wow, thanks for sharing, Peter and Pizza addict!!  It's an awesome video.  I had no idea who Fred Mortati was.  I thought he was JUST a translator.   oops.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 09:04:07 AM »
He's Da Man! and part owner of Amano as well he is a great guy who has helped me with ingredients and such. His Partner Carlo Orlando (hence the Orlando foods ) is also a also is a really nice guy !! always very helpful I get me Dough and Goodies right there at Amano  whenever I need anything! I Cant thank them enough!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »
I have never met Fred in person but I have spoken to him on several occasions and we have had many email exchanges over the years. I was referred to Fred at a time where I believe the only nonprofessional on the forum who used the Caputo 00 flour was Bill/SFNM, although there were a couple of members who were professionals who used that flour (Ron Molinaro at Il Pizzaiolo and Charlie Restivo at Naples 45, both of whom offered to give me samples of their flours). About the only 00 flours that were available at that time at the retail level were the Bel Aria and Delverde 00 flours, and there was little information on those flours. The Caputo 00 flour was not available at the retail level at that time. I was referred by a seller of the Bell Aria flour to Fred since they couldn't answer any of my questions. Fred was very helpful in answering my questions about the 00 flours, and that has been the case ever since. So, when confusion arises on the forum about the Caputo flours, and there have been several instances of that, I go to Fred and he responds in a very prompt and timely manner.

Fred once laughed when I told him that I found an Italian document that mentioned his name and that when I used the Google translator, his name, Fred Mortati, was translated to Fred Dead. Fred has always been a friend of the forum and appreciative of the members who use and promote his flours. His flours have come a long way since I first spoke with him.

Peter