Author Topic: Marco's Coal Fired Pizzeria - Denver  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Pizzaddict

Marco's Coal Fired Pizzeria - Denver
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »
Marco's Coal Fired Pizzeria of Denver - Marcoscoalfiredpizza.com - has been reviewed here before, but I'll add that I think it is fantastic Neapolitan pizza.  There are two locations in Denver, and not to be confused with Marco's Pizza, which is a chain popping up in Colorado.

I had the good fortune to attend the "Pizza With The Masters" event at Marco's last week.  I'm getting ready to put a wood-fired oven on my patio, so I'm trying to learn all I can...this was a great event!

It was wonderful to meet Antimo Caputo, Roberto Caporuscio, Don Antonio Starita, and Fred Mortati of Orlando Foods.

Here is a YouTube video I took of them making pizza...sorry for the somewhat shaky video.

Neapolitan Pizza Masters at Marco's Coal Fired Pizzeria - Denver

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:51:52 PM by Pizzaddict »

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Marco's Coal Fired Pizzeria - Denver
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »
Thanks for posting that, I ate there about 2 weeks ago. The pizza was amazing.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »
hmm..... real neapolitan pizza in a coal fired oven..... sounds like a good recipe to me!   Have you guys that tried this place noticed that the pizza is a bit crispier than pizza you have had at other neapolitan pizzerias?   I have found coal ovens to be extra dry when compared even to a WFO, and im just curious if you are noticing that difference in the crust texture.   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »
aah...never mind.   I just talked to fred and they are using a wood fired acunto oven, but calling the place coal fired pizza.     I guess he has another acunto that he puts a little coal in for wings, but im sure its mainly burning wood as well since running just coal in a WFO without a blower doesnt work.    They need to change that name!

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »
I agree, the "Coal Fired" in the name is a bit confusing.  Marco's has two identical Acunto ovens in each of the two restaurants.  I've been told they use some coal in the oven used for appetizers and perhaps other specialties.  I do know they use wood in the other oven used for pizzas.

BTW, the Limoncello chicken wings from the oven are fantastic!

Since Mark is from Brooklyn, he told me he had multiple samples of water flown in from New York, had it analyzed, and has a machine in the restaurant to duplicate the chemistry of New York water.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:32 PM »
NOT the coal fired pizza I have been stuggling with here in Jersey thats for sure. I knew it could not be coal  ;)
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:18:21 AM »
I agree, the "Coal Fired" in the name is a bit confusing.  Marco's has two identical Acunto ovens in each of the two restaurants.  I've been told they use some coal in the oven used for appetizers and perhaps other specialties.  I do know they use wood in the other oven used for pizzas.

BTW, the Limoncello chicken wings from the oven are fantastic!

Since Mark is from Brooklyn, he told me he had multiple samples of water flown in from New York, had it analyzed, and has a machine in the restaurant to duplicate the chemistry of New York water.

I had those wings and they are very good. Part of their happy hour.

Also the waiter told me about the water and I thought he was kidding until he reassured me he was serious. I never had heard the water myth as applied to Neapolitan pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 07:52:39 AM »
Also the waiter told me about the water and I thought he was kidding until he reassured me he was serious. I never had heard the water myth as applied to Neapolitan pizza.

Jeff,

Several years ago, I had a chat with Charlie Restivo, who at the time was the chief pizza maker at Naples 45 in NYC, and he strongly believed that water was crucial to his dough. I subsequently wrote about this topic a few times on the forum, including at Reply 19 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3944.msg4737/topicseen.html#msg4737 and at Reply 167 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.msg16292/topicseen.html#msg16292.

In about the same time period, pizzanapoletana (Marco) also posted on the forum about the water in Naples, at Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1795.msg17435/topicseen.html#msg17435 and at Reply 35 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1378.msg13950/topicseen.html#msg13950.

Over the years, I have read many reports about the importance of water in a dough, from ardent believers in NYC, Florida (for NY-style bagels), Michigan, Ohio, and California.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
wow 1st thread should be moved to ingedients ?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
wow 1st thread should be moved to ingedients ?
John,

When I first looked at the video in the first post, I thought that perhaps the thread should be on the Neapolitan board. But when I saw that the oven mentioned was a coal-fired oven, I decided that maybe it was not appropriate to put the thread on the Neapolitan board although I wondered at the time whether I should have started a new thread in the Neapolitan board to cross reference to this thread. Now that we know that Marco's is using a wood-fired oven, I will move the thread to the Neapolitan board. Thanks for the gentle shove.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »
Peter, I was referring to your link to the water thread that's under new member ?

Offline valhalla

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »
I think the recipe they described in the video is:

1700g Caputo
1L water (59%)
50g salt (2.9%)
6g fresh yeast (0.4%)

Two workflows were described - correct me if I get some of this wrong!

1) 4-5 hour rest, then 15 hours "with refrigeration" or "10-12 hours left out"

and

2) 45 minutes rest in the mixer, 1 hour rest on the counter, dough ball, then 5 hours "out back" balled and boxed.

Seems to me that the yeast % might be better for 2?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:49:35 PM by valhalla »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 12:18:03 PM »
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan