Author Topic: Best way to refrigerate dough?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline sleepnbag

• I Love Pizza!
Best way to refrigerate dough?
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
ok, so what is the best way to refrigerate dough if ageing for a few days? I just wrap the individual balls up in plastic wrap. Is that the norm?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Best way to refrigerate dough?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:42 AM »
I believe that it is recommended to package the dough in the fridge so that when you want to open the dough it resembles a round structure. My experience has shown that putting the dough in a round container is best if you want to make a round pie.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »
I don't like to use plastic wrap as it does not allow for any expansion of the dough, insread, I like to put oil the dough piece and put it into a plastic bread bag, twist the open end into a pony tail and tuck it under the dough ball as you place it into the fridge. It still comes out nice and round but this method allows for some expansion of the dough ball. To use the dough ball, remove from the fridge about 90-minutes before you want to open it into a pizza skin, then strip the bag away from the dough ball, allowing the dough ball to fall onto/into some dusting flour and begin opening the dough in your normal manner. Note: DO NOT use a zip-lok bag as the seal can open allowing the dough to dry and crust over.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline derricktung

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 11:13:45 AM »
Depending on how much dough you're working with will depend on the container.  I'll typically use my Kitchen Aid bowl, or other metal bowls coated with a light layers of olive oil.

If I'm traveling with the dough, check out some plastic containers along these lines:  http://compare.ebay.com/like/130857256579?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I think I got some generic ones at Walmart for pretty cheap...

Oil the container, pop the dough in, seal it off, and fridge it. 

Offline bradtri

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »
I make 400g balls and these work just perfect:  http://www.glad.com/food-storage/containers/big-bowl/.  I store in fridge up to 10-12 days with these.

On baking day, I take them out of the fridge and let warm up for an hour.  Then take dough out and reball but spray cooking spray in the bottom of the container before putting ball back in.  Then with a 2-4 hour room temp rest, the ball expands out to the shape of the bowl.  Inverting the bowl over the counter allows a perfectly round dough to fall out.

Offline johnson85922

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:55:01 AM »
If you are making pizza at home:
I try to make preparation as simple as possible, and this might not be the best way to refrigerate dough. I make batches of 5 balls with cold water.

After mixing with my kitchen aid, I dump the whole bulk into a tupperware and saran wrap the top. Send it into the fridge for however long you want your dough to ferment.
Then, On baking day, take the dough out, divide, weigh, and ball. (usually done at least 4 hours before shaping).