Author Topic: Home grown top quality seeds for herbs?  (Read 422 times)

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Home grown top quality seeds for herbs?
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »
(Not pot - this post is not 420 friendly).

I'd like to source some seeds or starts for a high quality (read well regarded and perhaps not usually available) oregano and basil.  I know seeds are available at [insert big box store or hardware store here]  All recommendations will be appreciated. If any replies have experience with starts, I'm interested in any soil, irrigation or other recommendations.  Thanks in advance!
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Home grown top quality seeds for herbs?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
Donjo911,

I asked something similar to what you did at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10535.msg93277#msg93277  You can see what members recommended there.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »
Thanks so much Norma & Craig.  I really appreciate it and I will read all the links.  And to you both... After 100's of hours of reading your pizza chronology - you are both awesome. Craig in a scary but super cool way and Norma in a sweet and like Columbo (just one more question) very diligent way...yet you are BOTH a little like the great and powerful Oz (to me). So, many thanks!
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 02:19:38 AM »
If your climate is cooler basil is a good indoor window sill grower, and grows readily from cuttings so from a couple of initial plants you can easily sustain a regular supply of the good stuff.

Offline Divani

• Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:44:12 AM »
Had good experiences with these guys: http://www.richters.com/

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
Thanks Divani & DylanDylan!  Great point re weather. My spring summer plan is to grow seeds to starts inside a few raised bed boxes (to be built by me) that will have a greenhouse 'top' that I can use for incubation, inclement weather and perhaps as chill protection in late fall / winter in the Pacific Northwest. If all goes well in spring I'll propagate using clippings as you've suggested. Great help. Thanks to all!
Cheers,
-Don
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:46:44 PM by Donjo911 »

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »
http://www.growitalian.com/basilico-bolloso-napoletano/

Thanks all.  And to TXCraig1 for the Franchi source.  I received the seeds from Franchi last week. They were very prompt and reasonably priced.  I started the seeds in small paper cups in a premixed seed mix. I found some remaining envelopes of San Marzano seeds I had grown two years back in So. CA with mixed results (although several other strains did well the SM's got a type of mold that the others varieties did not.  In some kind of cosmic serendipity I walked over to an estate sale two doors down this past Friday to see what was available and bought two small ballast lights. I replaced the, wait for it, black light tubes with some full spectrum + heavy blue spectrum tubes.  After only 5 days the basil plants started to germinate and sprouted in the evening last night.  The chili's may be slower. I read a bit on the internet about a family that grows them in the SF Bay Area/Oakland Hills and know that area as I lived there.  I am hopeful that given the similar climate of Portland OR. in the spring and summer.  We'll see.  I will start the Oregano next weekend as I understand it grows quickly and I have yet to repair my tiller & prepare the raised beds.  Since I'll be growing them in the fertile foothills below Mount St. Helens...that's kinda like Vesuvious, IKR?! :-\

Cheers,
Don