Author Topic: bianco di napoli tomatoes  (Read 2489 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
bianco di napoli tomatoes
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
finally received the tomatoes. they are 5.30 per can plush shipping they weigh 7.5 pounds so you can get an idea of shipping costs. pm if anyone wants any.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: bianco di napoli tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
your bringing me a case right ?
thanks Larry !!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »
 yes john one or two?? i need a new turning peel we can barter.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
No problem 2 please Peels in stock !
thanks Larry !

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
How does the price of the Bianco di Napoli tomatoes compare with other high quality tomatoes?  The reason I ask is that I was at Mozza in Newport Beach last night and they are now offering pizzas with the Bianco di Napoli tomato sauce for an extra SIX DOLLARS per pizza.  So for instance, if you got a Margherita with regular sauce, it would cost $15, and it you want to upgrade to Bianco di Napoli, it costs $21. I can't imagine there is that much difference in price between the tomatoes they use normally and the Bianco di Napoli.  I was sitting at the bar and noticed that maybe a quarter of the pizzas were being made with the Bianco di Napoli tomatoes. I did get one pizza with the Bianco di Napoli tomatoes on it and it really was good. Better than their regular sauce.  Six dollars better?  Probably not.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
How does the price of the Bianco di Napoli tomatoes compare with other high quality tomatoes?  The reason I ask is that I was at Mozza in Newport Beach last night and they are now offering pizzas with the Bianco di Napoli tomato sauce for an extra SIX DOLLARS per pizza.  So for instance, if you got a Margherita with regular sauce, it would cost $15, and it you want to upgrade to Bianco di Napoli, it costs $21. I can't imagine there is that much difference in price between the tomatoes they use normally and the Bianco di Napoli.  I was sitting at the bar and noticed that maybe a quarter of the pizzas were being made with the Bianco di Napoli tomatoes. I did get one pizza with the Bianco di Napoli tomatoes on it and it really was good. Better than their regular sauce.  Six dollars better?  Probably not.

It says above that they are $5.30/#10 can which is probably less than most San Marzano tomatoes - dirt cheep tomatoes are probably around $3/can - and they want an extra $6/pizza? YGBSM. I can't remember seeing anyone charge that much to upgrade to imported buffalo mozz - let alone to a domestic tomato.  ???

Why would they not use the better tomato for all their pies in the first place? I guess they don't care about quality? I can't even begin to understand that thinking. Either that or they must really like the feeling they get when they rip you off. It's one thing to make a little extra for something different, but that's just unmitigated arrogance and disrespect of your customers.

So, how does it feel to pay $6.00 for an incremental $0.10 of tomato (which assumes their other tomatoes are as cheep as it gets)?

Will you continue to patronize a place that is laughing at you all the way to the bank?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:19:23 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 03:40:36 PM »
Here is one of the all time great excerpts from Taxi, as Louie tries to put a price on something.

I 'll bet the menu pricing  discussion at Mozza went a lot like this....

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
I have been using these Bianco tomatoes since Larry was Kind enough to deliver for me THANKS LARRY!
these are NOT my favorite Descent Taste and very meaty, almost to the point of Tough , The sauce Juice is a darker red and in my opinion has less flavor. I did a blind Taste test between Bianco, Ciao and Stanislaus Mixed em up and had someone serve them to me. I did the same for others and guess which one won ?
California  Stanislaus !! handsdown best brightest flavor. Ciao was a very close second and are more tender with noticeably  less seeds my nor blind taste test favorite.
But $6 bucks extra for a pie for an extra $.10 of tomatoes as mentioned  ?? you gotta be kiddin me ! Robbery No way and Never Ever for me
John

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 06:19:19 PM »
John, i'm with you, Stanislaus Alta Cucina's are the best whole plum tomatoes I have found.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
Mozza has been robbing "clueless" people here in California for quite some time now but this is ridiculous.  This pizzeria has been riding on all the hype from their "celebrity" names like Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton and now, they are using Bianco's name to create more hype. 

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
So, how does it feel to pay $6.00 for an incremental $0.10 of tomato (which assumes their other tomatoes are as cheep as it gets)?

Will you continue to patronize a place that is laughing at you all the way to the bank?

It feels not very good, and yes, I will continue to patronize them because (a) it is my daughter's favorite place for special occasions and (b) I love their pizza.  I may have to change my avatar though (which I did as an homage to Mozza because I love their pizza!). Their pizza is already a bit overpriced even before factoring in the additional $6.00 for the Bianco di Napoli tomatoes. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:52:52 PM »
Mozza has been robbing "clueless" people here in California for quite some time now but this is ridiculous.  This pizzeria has been riding on all the hype from their "celebrity" names like Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton and now, they are using Bianco's name to create more hype.
You see this all the time. I don't care how good it is...how close it is...how whatever...if I walked in there one night and saw they were willing to slap me in the face like this I would turn around and walk out the door. Right after telling them to STICK IT MAN!!!  >:(

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »
I came across these tomatoes at Whole Foods in Glendale, CA. The can cost $3.29.  The tomatoes definitely have a wonderful rustic texture.  The first ingredient listed is tomato puree, then tomatoes (the opposite of my usual tomatoes).

The taste out of this particular can was on the tart side, almost as if it had romano cheese in it.  I made up my usual sauce, but I added 1.25 tsp of sugar.  We'll see how it tastes on the pizza tomorrow.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.