Author Topic: How long do I have until my dough goes bad?  (Read 627 times)

Offline spazster

How long do I have until my dough goes bad?
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »
This is a little OT, but my problem involves bread dough so it is almost the same thing.  My dad was going to visit on Tuesday and I wanted to make French bread for him.  He had to change it to Thursday and I'm not sure how to handle the dough preparation.

I am using my own grown sourdough starter. I've very new to this and I only tried it one other time on one of my pizzas.  Saturday night, I made a dough using 16 g of the starter (100% hydration, 50% bread, 50% wheat) and 367 grams of bread flour total with a hydration of about 70%. I left it out at room temperature for about 10 to 12 hours and then put it in the refrigerator early Sunday.

Is it ok to leave in the fridge for an additional two days?  Should I bake it Tuesday or Wednesday and give him loaves that aren't fresh? What is the best option?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: How long do I have until my dough goes bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:51:58 PM »
It will be good for a couple of weeks, although best in under a week, OK for 2, and usable for 3.

Offline spazster

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 01:34:35 AM »
Ok, thanks.  I remember reading on here that very small amounts of IDY the dough will be best by day three and then start to degrade.  I wasn't sure how much more wiggle room I have with sourdough starter.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:09:11 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I remember reading on here that very small amounts of IDY the dough will be best by day three and then start to degrade.  I wasn't sure how much more wiggle room I have with sourdough starter.
It's the opposite of that.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan