Author Topic: Jarred/non-canned tomatoes anyone?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Chi_Guy

Jarred/non-canned tomatoes anyone?
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:34:46 PM »
This is probably an odd question for this forum, but does anyone here besides myself use non-canned tomatoes to make sauce with?  I personally avoid all canned tomato products as I dislike the tinned taste and out of concern over the recent reports of BPA leaching from the lining of tin cans.  Unfortunately this limits the selection of tomatoes available to me.  As you all know, most quality Italian tomatoes are only available in the canned variety.  For a while, Pomi boxed tomatoes and fresh summer heirloom tomatoes was all I used.  These days, I'm happy to see more and more brands of jarred tomatoes popping up on grocery store shelves.  I used them regularly in cooking and to make pizza sauce with it.  Some are good, others not so good.  As with cans sometimes two different jars of the same brand will taste different.  Wanted to share some of the ones I've tried and see which brands others recommend.  Unless noted otherwise, all of these are Italian tomatoes.

In no particular order:

1) Pomi Chopped Tomatoes - comes in the paper Tetra-pak box.  makes a good pizza sauce but can be a bit acidic sometimes.  a bit of seasoning and sugar helps.  somewhere between the consistency of crushed and diced tomatoes.  needs to be pureed in order to make a smooth sauce.

2) La Bella San Marzano - tomato puree.  one of my least favorite brands.  it's technically not from the San Marzano region.  of all the brands i've tried, this was the most acidic and needs lots of sugar and seasoning.  it's actually not bad for cooking and works for pasta sauces but doesn't produce that fresh tomato taste of a good pizza sauce.  high salt content.

3) Bella Terra Organic tomato puree (with basil leaf) - had a nice sweetness out of the jar and made for an excellent tomato sauce and even better marinara sauce.  best to use them soon after the jar is opened.  they lose some flavor from freezing and from extended refrigeration. 

4) Bionaturale Organic tomato puree (no salt) - had a good balance of sweetness and acidity.  no sugar needed here.  just salt, pepper,  and a little bit of dried herbs.  made my best sauce yet using these on a recent Sicilian pie.  these are milled to the perfect consistency for pizza sauce...not too chunky, nor too watery.  this and the Bella Terra tomatoes were the freshest tasting of all the ones i've tried and can be used straight with minimal seasoning.

5) Jovial Brand Whole Peeled tomatoes - one of the few whole tomatoes in a jar out there.  tasted very good out of the jar, though the flavor was more reminiscent of regular canned tomatoes than italian.  so far i've only used them in cooking.  it tasted wonderful in a tomato based curry dish last week.  tomorrow i'll be testing them out on a NY style pizza.  even though they taste good, i doubt i'll be purchasing this brand frequently.  $5-$6 for a puny 18 oz jar is pretty expensive.

6) Mutti Passata - tomato puree.  decent but not great.  i found this one a bit too watery and sodium content here too was high.  i have heard good things about this brand though so i picked up a jar today and will give it another shot.

7) Cirio Passata Rustica - another jar of italian tomato puree.  i only used it a couple of times before it disappeared from store shelves and both times i thought it was good.  don't remember if i ever used it for pizza sauce but it worked great in other tomato based dishes.

8) Muir Glen BPA-free canned tomatoes - i included this because it's the only brand of BPA-free canned tomatoes on the market.  these are also the only non-Italian tomatoes that in my experience yield a good pizza sauce.  i tried the diced and whole varieties and thought the diced tasted a little better.  BPA free or not, there is still a hint of tin can taste in these but not as strong as other tin cans
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:37:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Jarred/non-canned tomatoes anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »
Chi_Guy,

You might want to look at Lesís Sebastopol Sweet Sauce at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1931.msg17063.html#msg17063 if you want to try fresh tomatoes for a pizza sauce.

I tried Lesís sauce numerous times, and there were different times I tried it with different kinds of tomatoes.  One time I tried Lesís sauce the pictures are posted at Reply 426  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19160.msg213583.html#msg213583 

I really like Lesís sauce on pastas too. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:45:20 PM »
I see more and more passatas lately, they are always packaged in a glass bottle. Have yet to try one, does anyone have a favorite?
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
Muir Glen BPA-free canned tomatoes - i included this because it's the only brand of BPA-free canned tomatoes on the market.  these are also the only non-Italian tomatoes that in my experience yield a good pizza sauce.  i tried the diced and whole varieties and thought the diced tasted a little better.  BPA free or not, there is still a hint of tin can taste in these but not as strong as other tin cans
Chi_Guy,

Wearing my Moderator hat, I took the liberty of modifying your post to replace the smiley for item number 8 with the actual number 8. This forum, like some others, displays a smiley for the number 8 in some cases, especially in lists of items that reach eight or more. If you click on the "Attachments and other options" link, you will see a statement "Don't use smileys". If you click the box next to that statement, the number 8 will appear in the final post, not a smiley.

Peter

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »

4) Bionaturale Organic tomato puree (no salt) - had a good balance of sweetness and acidity.  no sugar needed here.  just salt, pepper,  and a little bit of dried herbs.  made my best sauce yet using these on a recent Sicilian pie.  these are milled to the perfect consistency for pizza sauce...not too chunky, nor too watery.  this and the Bella Terra tomatoes were the freshest tasting of all the ones i've tried and can be used straight with minimal seasoning.

5) Jovial Brand Whole Peeled tomatoes - one of the few whole tomatoes in a jar out there.  tasted very good out of the jar, though the flavor was more reminiscent of regular canned tomatoes than italian.  so far i've only used them in cooking.  it tasted wonderful in a tomato based curry dish last week.  tomorrow i'll be testing them out on a NY style pizza.  even though they taste good, i doubt i'll be purchasing this brand frequently.  $5-$6 for a puny 18 oz jar is pretty expensive.

Chi Guy,
Whole-peeled Jovial is one of my favorites for NY pies. My backup is Bionaturale whole-peeled, which are now in BPA free cans, at a reasonable price.

Good luck on your hunt ;)

-Peter

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »
This is probably an odd question for this forum, but does anyone here besides myself use non-canned tomatoes to make sauce with?  I personally avoid all canned tomato products as I dislike the tinned taste and out of concern over the recent reports of BPA leaching from the lining of tin cans. 

For the same reasons as you, I stopped using almost all canned tomato products a couple years ago.  I'm still using up my last few industrial-size cans of Super Dolce (Stanislaus product).  When I use the S-D I would mix  it with jarred Strianese Passata to make sauce.  The Strianese is readily available in my area so I just use it, I haven't tried any others.  I did just notice that Strianese sells an organic version too. 

I grow and freeze several hundred pounds of tomatoes a year and use those to make my sauce now. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:00:36 AM »
This forum, like some others, displays a smiley for the number 8 in some cases, especially in lists of items that reach eight or more.

It's "8)" that is the problem. That's the BBCode for the "cool" smiley.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:18:10 AM »
@norma427, wow that's probably the most detailed sauce making process I've seen on this forum.  I'll have to try this with when heirlooms come in the summer.

@dmcavanagh, #2, 3, 4, 6, and 7 above are all passatas or strained tomatoes.  I would say the Bionaturale were probably the best of the ones I've tried...both for cooking and pizza sauce.

@Pete-zza, thanks for the tip...that "8)" is always annoying

@PetersPizza, I used the Jovial's on a pie yesterday and thought they were great.  One thing about whole peeled is they last a lot longer under refrigeration than passatas.  After a week, my half full jar of Jovial was still as good as day 1.

@RobynB, thanks I'll keep an eye out for that brand!

Offline Francois.du.nord

• Crust rules
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
Chi,

I just tried Eden Organic in the jar and they are very sweet and fresh tasting. I found them at Whole Foods. They have a good selection of tomatoes in the jar, just many have basil or other additives.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:20:04 PM »
Seriously   ???   How many pizzeria's use jarred tom. products. How many folks here would not want to use "canned" tomato's...this all sounds very weird to me man.

Bob

ps: I first used Pomi toms. in that little juice box thingy about 20 yrs. ago in Germany...they weren't hit'in on anything then and still don't, imHo, and I did try them here in the States recently hoping to get to the good.  :(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:32:39 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"