Author Topic: Adding "Natural Umami" To Your Sauce........  (Read 989 times)

Online Jackitup

Adding "Natural Umami" To Your Sauce........
« on: May 08, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »
Nothing earth shattering but a really good idea hit me an hour ago (I thought so anyway :P) and will give a follow up on what I think of the results. In part many of us do part of this, strain your tomatoes in a fine mesh strainer and reduce the liquid to turn back into the sauce. I have been using dehydrated mushrooms a lot lately for the extra flavor and texture. As I was reducing the strained liquid in the nuclear wave I thought, 'why not use that liquid to rehydrate the mushrooms'? So that's it, they're soaking as I type, not earth shattering but something to give that extra layer of subtle flavor to your sauce. Had to take a break from my exam studying (6 hours today) and just make a pie!! :chef: :pizza:

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Online Jackitup

Re: Adding "Natural Umami" To Your Sauce........
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 11:02:32 PM »
So, really liked the sauce. Gave a very noticeable depth of flavor but not overbearing. Will be a keeper for sure. Did a new crust too that I'll put on the NY style thread.

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Francois.du.nord

• Crust rules
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:30:46 PM »
Hmmmm... Very interesting. Where are you getting dehydrated mushrooms?

Online Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:38:22 PM »
At the Restaurant Depot. They have porcini, shitake and forest blend in 1 lb containers for 17-18 bucks. GREAT price for dried mushrooms and very good. I love the concentrated flavor they have. A little 2 oz pack in the grocery store is about 7-8 bucks or more. Very handy to get them in bulk!

jon

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:41:44 AM »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
THANKS, for the link. I will be adding some of these to my own for sure. One I hadn't though of was a bit of fish sauce, just a touch. Maybe tomorrow.

jon

pizzapan