Author Topic: air bubble on top of dough ball  (Read 997 times)

Offline greekstyle

• I Love Pizza!
air bubble on top of dough ball
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
Pizza Style: NY

Ingredients:
King Arthur Bread Flour 100%
Water 58%
Salt 1.5%
EVOO 1%
IDY .25%

1) Mixed flour, salt, yeast in KA mixer
2) Mixed in water
3) Mixed in EVOO right after water
4) I did not let it rest after mixing...I cut and weighed dough..formed balls...put in fridge in plastic

Plastic container 24hrs
Pulled out of fridge
Let sit for 2 hours in plastic

QUESTION:
I checked the dough ball after letting it sit for two hours and a little air bubble formed on top of the dough ball.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Greek

Offline greekstyle

• I Love Pizza!
Re: air bubble on top of dough ball
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »
BTW...I did try searching for this issue but I couldn't find anything on the subject  :)

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
BTW...I did try searching for this issue but I couldn't find anything on the subject  :)
I just pop them and pinch the hole closed.

Offline greekstyle

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »
I just pop them and pinch the hole closed.

Yeah but is that a normal characteristic?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »
Yeah but is that a normal characteristic?
greekstyle,

Based on the dough formulation you posted and the way you made and managed the dough, I would say that what you experienced was not typical. Usually, bubbles such as you described appear if the dough was not optimally kneaded, or too much yeast was used, or the fermentation was excessive. If the dough surrounding the bubble was still firm to the touch, I would consider what you experienced to be an anomaly or fluke. You can pinch such bubbles shut, even large ones, without incident.

Peter

Offline greekstyle

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
Sweet thanks Pete!  Yes the rest of the dough ball was pretty spot on as fas consistency.  It was only that one spot.  Its stretched real nice.  I'll look into the kneading process and be a little more alert while its in the KA and I'll do a little extra kneading by hand, I'm guessing.  If it happens again I'll bring down the % of yeast a little.  :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:39 PM »
Sweet thanks Pete!  Yes the rest of the dough ball was pretty spot on as fas consistency.  It was only that one spot.  Its stretched real nice.  I'll look into the kneading process and be a little more alert while its in the KA and I'll do a little extra kneading by hand, I'm guessing.  If it happens again I'll bring down the % of yeast a little.  :)
greekstyle,

Unless it is really warm where you live, or your room temperature is really warm, I don't think that you will have to change the amount of yeast. I'd be surprised if you were to get another bubble next time just repeating what you did the last time.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:03:34 AM »
I totally agree with Peter. One possible cause of the problem is due to hand kneading the dough as opposed to machine mixing the dough. During hand mixing we fold and push the dough so there is a distinct possibility of developing an air pocket in the dough during kneading, as the dough ferments, gas, created by the yeast moves into this pocket and expands it to create the bubble which you have observed. Just pop the bubble and continue in your normal manner.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline greekstyle

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
Gotcha!  thanks guys!!  :)