Author Topic: I love making pizza!  (Read 3650 times)

Offline thadeous

• I Love Pizza!
I love making pizza!
« on: January 16, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »
I opened a party store In a small town in mid michigan back in June 2005 with little exp. making pizza. The former owners quit making it some time ago and the OLD Blogget oven was unused for some time.
 I friend of mine owns a store nearby, so I used the same methods he does. He has a conveyor oven and dough pro press. I tried a few after we opened with horrible results!
So i went to a nearby pizza place (that just does pizza and takout) and nosed about asking questions. I found out my oven is missing the stone! Also i was useing pans not screens.

Now 7 months later we have folks coming from all around, and I have been told we have the best pizza any where in the area!
(My wife gets pissed when call and ask if I am making the pizza, and don't order if I'm gone)

I want to get more equipment, right now we rollout the dough with a rolling pin, and I need to maybe stack another oven.
Some night we get 13 at a time going, which is a lot for a town of 700 or so.

If anyone has an opinion on what works, presses rollers ovens etc. and what sucks let me know!
I always want to learn and make a better pie.

I'm at work now and need to get ready to close so I'll post more later!

I like the idea behind this site!

Thanx, :chef: Ted

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
Re: I love making pizza!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 10:22:06 PM »
Ted,

Congratulations and welcome to the site! I am a bit envious but I do wish you the best. I dream about doing exactly what you have done but I just don't see it in my future. As far as the commercial equipment you might be interested in, I'm sure some of the more knowledgable members will chime in. You have certainly found the right place.

The subject title sure portrays your passion. (And mine :-D)

Dan

Offline thadeous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 12:26:36 AM »
I've read alot of info on this site and others since signing up here, and absorbed alot of info!

I've included a couple pics of a pizza I was making at the store tonight for a takeout, let me know what you think!

Does anyone else roll spices into their crust, or am I just wierd that way.........

Offline thadeous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 12:30:48 AM »
I wanted to show this pic too....

Thadeous

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 08:39:27 AM »
thadeous,

Great looking pizza.

I have read of several instances where pizza operators add herbs to their doughs. But I like your approach of putting the herbs in the rim rather than in the dough as a whole because I have also read (mainly from Tom Lehmann, an industry dough expert) that too much of the herbs in the dough can affect its fermentation.

In looking at the crust of your pizza it seems to be shiny. Do you put something on it to make it shiny, or was it just the photo? A shiny rim reminded me of something that Big Dave Ostrander, a former independent (now an industry consultant) wrote, in which he described how he got his customers to eat the crusts/rims of his pizzas in an all-you-can eat buffet. I thought you would get a kick out of it:

At Big Dave's we brushed on melted butter to the crust as it came out of the oven. This shined the crust and gave it a 'just baked buttery flavor'. Since 28% of my gross sales was buffet I wanted to have customers eat all of the crust (carbs) and less protein (cheese-toppings). Many times we would have a customer eat 5-6 slices and leave 5-6 'bones' (uneaten crust) on their plates. I did scientific study??? by dumping the dining room garbage cans in a plastic kiddie pool near the dumpster and counting the 'Bones'. Before we started buttering the crust the bones, we had alot of bones. After we started buttering, the bones were very scarce.

BTW, is that a fancy sea salt container in the background of your pizza photo? Also, what is it about your dough that you feel you need to dock it? And also roll it?

Peter

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 02:10:21 PM »
I'm not sure what you think looks like a sea salt container. I think I see some sort of "Garlic Butter" spray can that it looks like he sprays the edge of the crust with before sprinkling on the italian spices. I think that also explains the shiny appearance of the outer crust.

Steve

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 02:37:18 PM »
Nice looking pizza, I can see why people in your town dig it!
Sorry I can't help in the pro cookware stuff.

But Man this is not right or fair, I'm on a stinking diet!
and that my friend looks like a darn good pizza!!

I also need to pick me up one of those spiked rollers, would make things easier for me.  ;D

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline thadeous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 04:37:06 PM »
I use a flavored seasoning spray that we get from Sysco on the edge of the crust before I roll it. It has olive oil butter and garlic. I've found that if I spray it on before and once during baking it helps brown the crust up quit nicely.
I give it another shot after boxing it up, partly so it smells really good as I hand it to the customer, partly to keep in moisture and keep the crust softer as it cools, and partly cuz it just looks better!
The seasoning I use is something I found at G.F.S. "Italian Seasoning" I have made my own but this works quite well. I t has, oregano, marjoram, thyme, basil, rosemary, and sage. A little goes a long way. I usually dust a little over the whole pie before baking too, mostly for looks.

I use the dough docker always, if I don't, when I proof the crust it bulges up in places. One of the first ones we made didn't get docked and when we proofed it, it came out looking like a big football! It was funny as h*ll! I wish had a picture of it. ::)

I got the docker at Gordon Food Service for I think 18 clams. You could get by with a fork like I did at first too.

Sometimes people want extra garlic on the crust so I sprinkle garlic salt on the edge before baking, it make it like breadsticks, NO BONES! :P

I've got some other pics of the process if anyone is interested.

Thadeous

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 05:03:41 PM »
I'd love to see the other photos.

Peter

Offline thadeous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 12:11:47 AM »
Ok, you asked for it!

By the way I use a rolling pin because I havent mastered the hand toss yet, I keep get it full of holes.
One of the girls that work for me can do it, it's only a matter of time......

I use 20 oz pre made dough balls for now, made by "Momma Rosa" and ordered through Sysco.

This is the same pizza as before...

before I rolled it out, and just before going in the oven. :chef:

Offline chiguy

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 12:46:47 AM »
 Hi,Thaeous
 A nice looking pizza, congrats. A town of 700, how mant pie's can you sell on a friday or sat?   Chiguy

Offline thadeous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 12:48:15 AM »
You can get a look inside my antique oven.....

Last nite after reading posts about diffent ideas on baking stones, I decided to try lining the oven with some slabs of marble we had laying around, ( I owned and ran an antique mall for 14 yrs before this, YES I AM a packrat).

Tonite I made 3 pizzas on them, (My wife called earlier and said they worked great), with wonderfull results!

Much faster bake time and crispier crust.

I shut down the oven at 8:30 and when I left at 10:30 they were still too hot to touch!

I think in my small store it will help with the heat bill too!

All because of pizza!?!?!?

As Louie Armstrong would say "What a wonderfull world"

Offline chiguy

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 12:57:20 AM »
 Hi Thadeous,
 Since you are using these Mama Rosa dough balls, you may want to contact someone at the company and see what works best for stretching/pressing into skins. you may also ask them the flour type and what type of oil they use if any? You may decide to make the dough yourself someday. I was curious what is the average cost  for a Mama Rosa 20oz dough ball?  Chiguy

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 07:32:52 AM »
Good Morning Thadeous;
Great looking pizza.......you can be very proud of them; I see why the customers ask for you.  On your pizza rim, do you lay the dough over a screen or pan to get the desired roundness and then fold the extra dough over to make the high rim?  It would be great if you could post pictures of a slice of pizza showing the crumb and the bottom of the pizza to show the color.  GREAT looking pizza........... ;D
Buffalo

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 12:33:47 AM »
B'LO

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 04:18:27 PM »
Where in mid-Michigan are you?  I'm in the Detroit area but travel all over for business.  I would love to drop by for lunch sometime if I'm in the area.

BTW - I'm very envoius.  It's my dream to someday own my own pizza place. 

pizzapan