Author Topic: best flour for detroit style  (Read 2009 times)

Offline pete zappie

best flour for detroit style
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
I was wondering if anyone would suggest the better flour for Detroit pizzas. Craig used kabf and Norma I think still uses occident , which I also think Steve uses of new York style which I am starting to experiment with too, so that would be twice as good. so I was planning on getting a big bag of each along with a big bag of  00  . I am able to buy from a commercial supplier and they carry so many  ??? thanks for looking :)

Online TXCraig1

Re: best flour for detroit style
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
If I was doing a shorter ferment (<12hr), I'd use KAAP.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »
Craig thanks for your reply .....  I was planning on at least a day-- 24-30 hours -- and if possible hold it for up to 3 or 4 days, I do this with the Chicago pan dough I make and not only is it convenient it develops better flavor.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »
pete,

I do use the Occident for my Detroit style pizzas.  I also used Occident flour for the flour today for boardwalk pizzas and do like the Occident flour in that formulation also.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

scott123

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »
No offense to Craig, but with the Detroit crumbs Norma is achieving, I would never stray from anything but a mid high gluten (12.4-13% protein) bromated flour such as Occident (or Spring King or Full Strength).  Occident blows KABF and KAAP out of the water.  The same recommendation holds true for NY style as well.

People only buy KA because they have no access to a distributor.  If you can get Occident, then that's what you go with.

This drives Chau crazy when I say this  ;D but, if you're not making Neapolitan 60 second bake time pizzas, skip the 00.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »
pete,

Maybe you are aware of this but in exchanges that Norma and I had with Buddy's, we learned that the flour they use is bromated and has a protein content of 11.2%. We don't know which brand of flour Buddy's uses that has that profile but the Occident flour does fit that profile.

Peter

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
peter , scott and norma  thank you for your response I appreciate your help do you think occident is a good choice for new York style as well ? how about Chicago pan ? just curious or should I ask in the appropriate  topic section?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:17:10 PM »
pete,

Ev (Steve) uses Occident flour for NY style pizzas in his WFO and also uses Occident flour for some of his NY style pizzas at home.  I think the photos of NY style pizzas at Reply 152 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21856.msg232734.html#msg232734  are made with Occident flour, but since Steve experiments with Occident, Kyrol and KASL for his WFO NY style pizzas, I am not positive that those pizzas are made with the Occident flour.

I used Occident flour for the pizza made at Reply 62 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23504.msg242411.html#msg242411 and also used the Occident flour for my “boardwalk style” of pizzas at Reply 1650 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg245355.html#msg245355 I also used Occident flour in a Jet’s attempt at Reply 94 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg151463.html#msg151463  I tried the Occident flour in other experimental doughs mixed with other flours.

I never tried the Occident flour for Chicago pan style pizzas that I can recall.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
I am not an expert on the Chicago style of pizza, both deep-dish and thin style, but I do try to pay attention to the flours that are most commonly used. And, on that score, it appears to me that the predominant type of flour that is used most for those styles of pizza is all-purpose flour. And, with very rare exception, all-purpose flours are not bromated (which the Occident flour is). The most common name that I have observed for the Chicago pizza styles is the Ceresota all-purpose flour that has been a fixture in the Chicago metro area for several decades. However, with modern transportation and flour mills located near many major metropolitan areas, flour can be delivered to almost any part of the country where it is desired.

On occasion, a member might mention using bread flour for the Chicago style pizza but I do not believe that that is done with any frequency.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:34 AM »
AT bromated, if you can find it.

scott123

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »
peter , scott and norma  thank you for your response I appreciate your help do you think occident is a good choice for new York style as well ?

Yes, although given the choice between Occident and a slightly higher protein flour such as Spring King or Full Strength, I'd go with the later.  If it's a choice between Occident, any flavor of KA or 00, though, it's Occident, hands down.  If you plan on doing lots of Detroits, then you can't beat only have to buy one bag of flour (Occident) and being able to use it for both Detroit and NY.

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
thanks everyone for all your help, in the 50's this weekend will be cooking in the wfo all weekend long---got a pound of basil to go through .....doesn't keep very long .... that's the excuse and im sticking to it

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »
pete,

Good luck with your new flours!

Norma

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »
pizza coma alertbeen in a pizza coma for two weeks , the occident flour makes a great tasting pie.     ny pie----100%- 4%idy- 1.5% salt- 61% water, balled within an hour-- 400 g for a 14 inch pie-- 48 hr cold 2 hr room temp, cooked in wfo 750 deg. . very fluffy with a nice crunch and great taste... ... Detroit pie----  100% - 1% idy- 1.5% salt- 70%,  same day dough oven 500 deg. super fluffy , great taste , great crunch. the dough is real extensible and practically opened by itself, I had to open the dough by stretching the rim while it rested on the table otherwise it would get too thin in the middle , does that mean I have to knead longer ??  these pies didn't hang around for pics but got a few bad shots.

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »
oops

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
Great looking pies, but what do they have to do with Detroit Style?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
cool thanks for saying the  pies look good, but yea how about it no pics of the Detroit pies, those were so good they just disappeared, I did mention them though .. :-[.. anyway I was looking for a better flour and the occident sure is, it taste great and comes out real light and fluffy, like I  thought my caputo 00 pies would be  . any other flour suggestions anybody has would be greatly appreciated.   

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »
pete,

You can mix Caputo with the Occident flour for your WFO.  Steve (Ev) did that and showed me the pictures and the pizzas looked really good.  You would have to ask Steve over at his Airstream camper thread what percentages he used.

Norma

pizzapan