Author Topic: How to gauge the temperature of a commercial oven?  (Read 492 times)

Offline Chi_Guy

How to gauge the temperature of a commercial oven?
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »
Ok so last night I had a pie at a trendy brick oven pizza joint.  Being the pizza nerd that I am, I chose to sit near the pizza oven to observe the baking process.  The head pizzaioli, who is quite proud of their product, claims they bake that their pies in a 800 degree oven.  To me, that's along the lines of a Neopolitan.  But when I looked at the thermostat on the outside of the oven, it was only at around 680 and fluctuated a few degrees here and there.  Not being familiar with commercial ovens, I didn't know if that's the temperature of the deck, the dome, or the ambiant temperature in the oven.  My pizza which was about 15" cooked in approximately 4 minutes (I timed it as it went in).  To me that sounds like a little long of a bake time for a pie baking at 800.  Shouldn't a pizza cook under 2 minutes in an oven that hot?  At any given time, they had 3-4 pizzas in the oven so I don't know if that would account for the longer bake.  Also, what does the temperature reading on the outside of commercial pizza ovens actually measure?  Thanks.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: How to gauge the temperature of a commercial oven?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »
Temp SHMEMP  :)

never worry or even think about temps.  they mean nothing.    All that matters is how long a pizza is in an oven for.   I have taken readings on two ovens with wildly different temps that bake pizzas at the same speed.     

Offline scott123

Re: How to gauge the temperature of a commercial oven?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »
 ^^^ The only caveat would be if you're in a place with a Neapolitan oven and they can tell you floor and dome temps.  If it's a well known Italian oven, you can extrapolate a bit of info from dome and hearth. But for any other oven, temps are pretty much meaningless.  In fact, statements along the lines of "we bake our pizzas at xxx degrees" are big black marks in my book.

On the other hand, if a pizzeria says "we bake our pizzas in x minutes," then that's a huge selling point. That's indicative of someone that knows what they're doing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:04:32 PM by scott123 »