Author Topic: Lobster Pizza???  (Read 1873 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Lobster Pizza???
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »
I have not been on the forum as long as some. That being said, has anyone ever posted a recipe for Lobster on their pizza? Does anyone have a recipe for it? Since I live int he Seattle area, I have access to great Lobster, crab, scallops, etc... I am guessing that you would use a white Alfredo sauce? Any thoughts from anyone on this??? Thanks

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Lobster Pizza???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:06:24 PM »
I found this one on the food network right after I posted.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bibas-own-lobster-pizza-recipe/index.html

Anything you might add or take away???

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:09:07 PM »
I bet you could adapt a lobster fra diavolo recipe like this one for pizza if you wanted.
http://lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/711
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »
WOW Jeff V, that looks very tempting.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »
I have not been on the forum as long as some. That being said, has anyone ever posted a recipe for Lobster on their pizza? Does anyone have a recipe for it? Since I live int he Seattle area, I have access to great Lobster, crab, scallops, etc... I am guessing that you would use a white Alfredo sauce? Any thoughts from anyone on this??? Thanks

TomN

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no lobster fishery in Washington state.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 12:24:27 AM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no lobster fishery in Washington state.

Crabs yes, lobsters no.

As far as I can remember at least. I lived there for 4 years. I was very poor at the time, so there may be some observer bias, but I remember lots of salmon, Dungeness crab, and beer. But no lobster.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 12:34:32 AM »
Crabs, salmon, and clams for sure. I've pulled all of them out of Puget Sound at one time or another. I tore a fingernail off one time clamming on Camino island. Picked big dungeness crabs up off the bottom with my hands at low tide in Elger bay.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 12:44:52 AM »
Crabs, salmon, and clams for sure. I've pulled all of them out of Puget Sound at one time or another. I tore a fingernail off one time clamming on Camino island. Picked big dungeness crabs up off the bottom with my hands at low tide in Elger bay.

You were living right Craig. The only lobsters I had on the West Coast were in Puerto Nuevo, Mexico. The entire small town's economy was based on deep fried (clawless) lobster tacos served twenty to the plate. They were small, but good. And CHEAP. At least back then.

Puerto Nuevo was named after a billboard on the side of the highway for Newport (Puerto Nuevo) cigarettes, BTW.

John K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 12:48:47 AM »
You were living right Craig. The only lobsters I had on the West Coast were in Puerto Nuevo, Mexico. The entire small town's economy was based on deep fried (clawless) lobster tacos served twenty to the plate. They were small, but good. And CHEAP. At least back then.

Puerto Nuevo was named after a billboard on the side of the highway for Newport (Puerto Nuevo) cigarettes, BTW.

John K

That's a ways South of Seattle  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 12:50:16 AM »
You were living right Craig.

I love foraging.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:58:47 AM »

Ellger Bay? Camano Island? WTF were you doing out there? When I tell people I honeymooned on Saltspring Island in the "Canadian San Juan islands " they give me blank stares! How big were those crabs? Huge, if I remember correctly?

John K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 01:05:37 AM »
Ellger Bay? Camano Island? WTF were you doing out there? When I tell people I honeymooned on Saltspring Island in the "Canadian San Juan islands " they give me blank stares! How big were those crabs? Huge, if I remember correctly?

John K

I have a bunch of family up there. I was born in Southern Washington. 8" or so across the shells on the crabs. Not much better eating that that anywhere. I could go for some dungeness crabcake benedict and some asparagus right about now.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 01:30:22 AM »
Are you all kidding me??? Just go to your local Costco and you can find Lobster tails all the time. Especially during their Sea Food Road Shows. I didn't mean to imply that Lobster is caught in WA. I am just saying that I have access to them, at any time of the year, at a really great price.

Now can we get back to the real subject of Lobster Pizza???? Post your recipe!!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:35:12 AM by TomN »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »
TomN,

For years in the Boston area, chef Lydia Shire, of Biba/Excelsior/Towne/Loch Ober's fame (and now with Scampo), featured a lobster pizza pie as one of her signature lobster dishes. Her partner at Excelsior, Susan Regis, provided the recipe for the pizza to Food Network, at http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_2472,00.html. I have never tried the recipe, and I usually have suspicions about the authenticity of the recipes that chefs offer to the Food Network, but from the write-up at Slice at http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/11/boston-ma-lydia-shires-famous-lobster-pizza-at-scampo.html, the recipe appears to have some credence. However, I did see what may be a more recent version at http://exhalelifestyle.com/main/index.php/lydia-shires-lobster-pizza/. I wouldn't be surprised that over the many years since Lydia invented her lobster pizza many other versions have emerged.

Peter

EDIT (7/17/14): For the Wayback Machine version of the above inoperative Exhale link, see https://web.archive.org/web/20130329004931/http://exhalelifestyle.com/main/index.php/lydia-shires-lobster-pizza/; for the Wayback Machine version of the Food Network link, see http://web.archive.org/web/20080424034607/http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_2472,00.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:34:52 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
Loved this Lobster Pizza from the Expo Finals
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
There is a place called "Chickie -n- Pete's" in Philly that serves up a lobster pie.  They use small tails, probably about 3-4 oz, and a white sauce.  I'll have to get back there and get some photos as well as see if I can find out exactly what sauce they use.
tom

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »
THANK YOU

pizzapan