Author Topic: Mobile oven pizza parade, New Haven CT  (Read 3232 times)

Online apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Mobile oven pizza parade, New Haven CT
« on: March 28, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »
This was in my local paper today. Pizza trucks in New Haven CT. I believe the Big Green Truck owner is a member.

"Pizza Parade

The Big Green Truck Pizza, a catering company using antique trucks as mobile pizzerias, will celebrate its 10th anniversary with a pizza parade April 10 in New Haven. Owner Douglas Coffin will lead his trucks and has invited other pizza truck owners to participate in the parade. The procession will begin in the Sports Haven parking lot at 1:30 p.m., drive along Long Wharf Drive and I-95 and return to the lot about 2:45 p.m. The trucks will fire up their ovens and sell pizzas by the pie and the slice from 4 to 6 p.m.

Representatives from Tuscany Fire Wood Ovens also will be on hand to display and explain their ovens, which can be installed on a trailer or, for home use, in a back yard. Coffin will answer questions about getting started in the mobile pizza truck business."

Marty

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Mobile oven pizza parade, New Haven CT
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
I saw that Marty.  It's too bad they are doing it on a weekday.

Online apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
My wife and I were able to make this event, which was interesting. Plenty of free samples, which is always a good thing. The pies were pretty good, but the real interest was the mobile ovens. I was impressed with the abilities of all the staff involved and have great respect for all of you who do events that I believe are very demanding at times.
For our taste these pies were really thin. We both prefer something a little thicker.
Oven photo display is by tuscanyfire.com . I believe they are a New Haven CT importer of ovens. One name I saw on the large oven was DiFiore.
Marty

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
Yes very cool event ! put on by big green truck to show how far themobile pizza bus has come. All my peeps were there from Various forums. did you see these guys ??
That is Carl Harris of Tuscany Fire Importer of  the Difiore ovens from Italy  which I really like. wish youhad a shot of the round oven behind the brochure Thats the rolling tomatoe pizza company Oven is painted as a huge tomatoe! and looks  Jeff B pioneer of the mobile pizza Skinny pines  Fire within forno bravo units   4 or 5 years now Has 2 ovens and did like 44 gigs in  1 Month ! He is kickin it !  also Bruce Lyon member here and advertiser  ;)  Owner Of Victorias wood fired runs a woodstone oven in enclosed trailer travels all over ...  he is also adding a trailer this year. Looks very cool wish I could have made it but its a 2 hour ride . Is cool to see how popular it is becoming, but I only hope theykeep the quality up and somelike me stay with a traditional  close to Neapolitan pie. Those pie  almost look like a lower hydration cracker or NY ish style. They were all from Green truck?  propbab;y so they can control the fermenation a bit ? were the crusts sheeted or hand stretched ? did you get a time on them ? thanks for posting ~
John
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:31:04 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:33:10 PM »
John you look at things like this with a different eye, so I don't have a lot of details on the finer points. I guess a time of 6 to 7 minutes max for my order of two pizzas, and I don't know if there were any before my order.  That includes prep, bake and hand me the box. Pretty quick. You mention cracker crust but it was very pliable, not crunchy. Hand stretched. The photo is for the order truck, a second truck was doing samples. Total of 5 Green Trucks there. The man on the left did the first forming. The guy on the right takes over and stretches further then adds toppings. A third guy handled the oven. Very efficient operation.
I've added some more photos.
Marty

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:36:54 AM »
Thanks again Marty for posting after futher review I do not see a cracker style crust anywhere. but No true Neapoitan style either ? anyone usung fresh Mozz. or all bagged cheese? actual bake time is what I was speaking of just to try and figure out what temps  these guys are running the ovens at.  I see nothing bad any where it all looks great!!  just curious as cat sniffing around  ;D
I am liking the the FWI enclosed trailer  just open the door set up a few tables and whala ! dont understand the use of the refriderated prep table (next to fridge) on board is that usable or too high ? If you  prep/cook  inside  the trailer would  kinda limits viewable oven I guess. do like this option and think it can be done for the price of a new Just trailer only unit? Hmnn ???
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:40:24 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 06:23:30 AM »
Here's a link from the news earlier in the week,  there were some good closeups of the truck's setup
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/on_air/gmc_weekend/big-green-truck-pizza-celebrates-10-years#.UWaOlaLU98E

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »
Thanks for posting. Looks like a great event. Wish I could have been there :drool:

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »
Thanks for posting the great pictures!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:00:04 PM »
IMHO...this is all just a big waste of perfectly good WFO's. And it does absolutely nothing towards promoting the excellent type of pizza these engines are capable of producing. Rather; it is simply about self promoting an inferior, skill-less pie for cash money on the strength of the marketable phrase "Wood Fired Oven Pizza".  I would be embarrassed to try and tell people..."just look at the great pizza this oven can make". This is perpetuating doldrum an somebody needs to get a grip.  ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pizza Kid

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
I love the moblile pizza idea and was at the Vibes concert last summer in Connecticut where the moble pizza oven fire truck was set up. Quick off the cuff calculation by the number of empty cases of dough, cost per slice and volume of people attending was staggering and these guys could produce!!! Fantastic idea and it is popping up all over NY too. I have built several back yard ovens and it looks like a great trend along with another one called Revolving Brick Ovens www.brickovensforsale.com where the deck spins. It is cathing fire around the country like the guys showing up for BBQs with small mobile ovens for private parties.

Offline mobilepizza

• Vendor
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »
Carl has a new website that features all the work he does.

www.mobilepizzatrailer.com

Check it out pizza lovers!!

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
Bob, "capable of producing" in the sense you stated it is a flat out insult.  I see some mighty fine looking pizzas there, with a range of styles.  They are "capable" of producing exactly what they aim for.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
Bob, "capable of producing" in the sense you stated it is a flat out insult.  I see some mighty fine looking pizzas there, with a range of styles.  They are "capable" of producing exactly what they aim for.
I wonder why none of them `aim` for NP pie?  Show me one.
If you come out into the public with all your advertising boasting `We got a WFO` and all you produce is flat little pizzas....THAT is insulting.  To me it is....but I do realize they get away with it cause most john q public don`t know the difference.

cb

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »
"WFO" does not mean "Neapolitan". It means cooked in a wood fired oven.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »
"WFO" does not mean "Neapolitan". It means cooked in a wood fired oven.
Then they should just use gas....much easier to work with.
Keep a token piece of wood laying in there somewhere.  :)

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »
Bob, when you get a WFO, then we will talk. 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 11:26:04 PM »
Bob, when you get a WFO, then we will talk.
Tom, won`t be necessary because when I have a commercial WFO deal I won`t be selling flatbread pizzas out of it.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 11:29:10 PM »
So you will be going full VPN I suppose?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:48 PM »
Tom, won`t be necessary because when I have a commercial WFO deal I won`t be selling flatbread pizzas out of it.

Don't spend all your money on the oven. Save a few bucks for me to come consult.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.