Author Topic: Latest NY style pie  (Read 873 times)

Offline Chi_Guy

Latest NY style pie
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »
Baked this one a couple of days ago.  Used the same dough recipe I've used on my recent NY style pies making a few slight adjustments in technique namely autolysed dough, longer cold ferment, and par baking the naked crust to help achieve a crisper bottom.  I had a problem with the top browning faster than the rest of the pizza so I used frozen cheese shredded by hand.  I will continue tinkering as the pizza is not yet where I want it to be yet.

Here is the dough formulation I used to make an approximately 13 inch pizza:

Flour (100%): 219.09 g | 7.73 oz | 0.48 lbs
Water (63%): 138.03 g | 4.87 oz | 0.3 lbs
IDY (0.4%): 0.88 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.29 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
Salt (2%): 4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.29 tsp | 0.43 tbsp
Oil (2%): 4.38 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.97 tsp | 0.32 tbsp
Sugar (1%): 2.19 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.55 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
Total (168.4%): 368.96 g | 13.01 oz | 0.81 lbs | TF = 0.10605

The Dough
To get some more chew out of my KABF, I started off with an autolyse per Jeff Varasano's method.

Mixed all ingredients except 25% of flour and oil together and kneaded using C-hook of KA for approximately 2 minutes.  Let rest for 20 minutes.  I then mixed in the rest of the ingredients and kneaded for about 7 more minutes.  9 minutes total. 

I let the dough rest for 15 minutes and it passed the windowplane test.

Covered and refrigerated.  The dough cold fermented for 62 hours followed by a 3 - 3.5 hour final proofing. 

Hand shaped into a somewhat oblong 12"-13" pie.  For some reason, the dough this time was a bit hard to stretch and kept fighting back.

The Sauce
Pureed jovial whole tomatoes from a jar.  These were very good and didn't need much doctoring.  Added some salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.   Let marinate at room temp for 1-1.5 hours.

The Cheese
Since I switched over to dry mozz, I've had problems with the top of my pizza browning too quickly so to get around that I used Trader Joe's whole milk mozzarella that I had previously hand shredded and frozen.  I figured this would buy me an extra minute of bake time so the crust can catch up to the toppings.  The frozen cheese was actually a lot easier to handle than the room temperature stuff is.  Also added a thin layer of grated parm over the sauce.

The Bake
Stone was preheated at bottom rack for 1 hour.  Stone final temp registered about 569 degrees.  I'm using a cheapo 3/8" square stone from Bed Bath and Beyond for now while I continue researching baking surface. 

Normally, I top my crust and bake it all in one go.  But as I mentioned previously, I had a problem with my pies cooking too quickly on the top before the bottom could crisp up.  I attribute this mainly to the crappy stone I'm using.  So to get around the problem I decided to parbake my crust per canadave's method (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2175.msg19124.html#msg19124).

I put the naked pizza skin on the stone first to sear for 1 minute.  Removed it, then quickly dressed with sauce, parm, and mozz.  Returned to oven to continue baking for an additional 7 minutes, rotating once midway thru the bake.  Total bake time:  8 minutes.

Outcome
Previously my pies had been baking for about 6 minutes.  The crust would turn out pale and became tougher and tougher to chew on as it cooled.

The extra 2 minutes of bake time really helped.  This pizza finally had a little color on the rim and nice leoparding on the bottom of the crust. This was the crispiest crust yet.  The crunchy bottom tapered up to a softer, chewier middle.  The chew factor was better than I've gotten out of KABF before and it was not too leathery or tough like past crusts.  Success!  Still, it could still use some more softness however.

The crust had great flavor due to the 2.5 days in the fridge.  I've tried shorter fermentation times before - overnight and 1 day - which produced okay tasting crusts at best.  The extra fermentation time really made a difference here.  I will now strive for a 48 hour minimum cold ferment on all my pies now.

There were good air bubbles both on the rim and through parts of the pizza.  I still need to work on my dough stretching as some parts were a bit thicker than others.

The cheese was good but I noticed it didn't have much string.  Could that be due to being frozen?

For next time
* Now that I have the crispiness I was after, a decent chewiness, and flavor from the crust it's time to tackle the next variable which is softness.  The middle layer of the crust still isn't as tender as I would like.  I'm thinking about trying canadave's recipe next time which differs from mine in that it has a lot more oil and yeast.  More oil might just be the key to attaining a more tender crust.  Any other suggestions for