Author Topic: Home Oven to Commercial Oven  (Read 1554 times)

Offline wsonner

Home Oven to Commercial Oven
« on: March 28, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have just installed a new NEMCO 6205-240v commercial counter top oven and will be using it instead of my home oven for now on.  I have been cooking my 16" American/Cracker style pies one-at-a-time at 495 degrees for 9 to 10 minutes.  My new oven goes up to 700 degrees and has two decks (two pies total). To help  minimize my impending trial and error efforts I'd love to hear  your thoughts on cooking times and temps for the new oven.

Wes

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Home Oven to Commercial Oven
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:57:41 PM »
Probably somewhere around 625....
Scotty will get you right.  ;)

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/nemco-6205-240-countertop-pizza-oven-240v/5916205240.html
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 04:20:44 PM »
Bob, I've never made a cracker style pizza, so I might not be that much help  ;D

That being said... Wes, are you baking on a stone now or just on a pan in a pre-heated 495 oven? If it's a pan in a pre-heated 495 oven, then, if you're changing to baking on a pan, on a stone, then I might try 500 on the new oven. The pre-heated stone speeds things up- to an extent (less, though, for thinner stones like these), but the pan will slow the transfer between the stone and the undercrust.  As far as baking the top of the pizza in the alloted time, with two broiler elements controlled by the same thermostat... that's going to take some trial and error. I would set the thermostat to 500 and see what it does.

Btw, as far as countertops go, the specs on this are not that bad. As I mentioned, I'm not in love with the single thermostat control, but the wattage is respectable. If you have any inclinations towards trying NY style pies, I'd love to see how they fare in this oven.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
Scott: I'm sorry, I got my styles mis corn figured and thought Wes was doing something similar to a NY bake.

Wes: Have you been baking on a stone and using a screen?

Offline wsonner

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »
I've been using the non-stick pizza pans I picked up at Kohl's lol. Actually I highly recommend them for home use...though they scratch and start to stick under heavy volume it seems.

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524892363867&mr:referralID=82a2154e-97e8-11e2-a969-001b2166c2c0

Offline wsonner

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
They have a version of this oven that is 120v with 1800 watts for the same price. I decided to install a new 240v circuit and get the higher wattage version and I'm glad I did.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »
They have a version of this oven that is 120v with 1800 watts for the same price. I decided to install a new 240v circuit and get the higher wattage version and I'm glad I did.
Yes, I'm glad you got the wiring upgrade...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23599.msg240235.html#msg240235

Offline wsonner

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »
Yes, I'm glad you got the wiring upgrade...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23599.msg240235.html#msg240235

The Baker's Pride equivalent to the NEMCO 120v actually states that it is recommended for par baking only, pretty much what they are doing on this thread you posted.  That pushed me over the line in making the decision. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
Yeah, the 120V is a very expensive paper weight.

I've been using the non-stick pizza pans I picked up at Kohl's lol.

So, just to confirm, you're going from baking in a pan, without a stone, to baking in a pan, on a stone. Is that correct?

Offline wsonner

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »
Yeah, the 120V is a very expensive paper weight.

So, just to confirm, you're going from baking in a pan, without a stone, to baking in a pan, on a stone. Is that correct?

In the near term, yes. Long term I'd like to start using the stones alone.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
hey, watch out for those non stick pans at anything above 500 degrees.   They supposedly off-gas some really nasty stuff at higher (pizza making) temperatures.  Also... if im going to use a pan im definitely jumping at the chance to be able to use a little oil on the bottom of the pizza.  Such a great flavor/texture.   Of course, you could say thats dangerous in a another way I guess (clogged arteries!) So feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.   Sorry to preach and good luck!     

Offline wsonner

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 08:30:42 PM »
hey, watch out for those non stick pans at anything above 500 degrees.   They supposedly off-gas some really nasty stuff at higher (pizza making) temperatures.  Also... if im going to use a pan im definitely jumping at the chance to be able to use a little oil on the bottom of the pizza.  Such a great flavor/texture.   Of course, you could say thats dangerous in a another way I guess (clogged arteries!) So feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.   Sorry to preach and good luck!     

Oh man, PLEASE preach. That's why I'm here!  I'm glad you said that because I hadn't thought about it...Hmmm...I'll test it out tomorrow with just some screens then.