Author Topic: A little experiment with an Emergency crust  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: A little experiment with an Emergency crust
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Well, since posting the EC v1.0, that's Emergency crust version 1.0, I have been tinkering around with it a bit more mainly due to the fact that I didn't like having to punch it down a few times during the course of fermentation, which in turn means one would have to be present during the entire process.

With that said, I looked for a dough formula that would keep the punching to a minimum while undergoing a counter-rise for longer than just 3 hours or so. I tweaked the formula in every aspect but the most significant was in the yeast department. I went from the original 1% down to 0.1%, lowered the hydration from 60% to 58%, lowered the sugar from a whopping 4% to a mere 1.75%, raised the salt level to 2.5% and hoped for the best. It worked pretty well.

Fermentation time on the counter was almost eight hours, with a single punch-down. Not bad. And I could imagine this would also work well in conjunction with a 12 hr cold-rise then an 8 hr counter-rise the next day. I have still to check that out, though.

Bake temps were also factored in and the pie went in at about 575F instead of my normal maximum of around 620-625F. Bake time, though, was still at 8 minutes.

Here's the revised formula for an 18" pie...

EC v1.1   ;D

Flour (100%):
Water (58%):
IDY (.1%):
Salt (2.5%):
Oil (1.3%):
Sugar (1.75%):
Total (163.65%):
361.04 g  |  12.74 oz | 0.8 lbs
209.41 g  |  7.39 oz | 0.46 lbs
0.36 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.12 tsp | 0.04 tbsp
9.03 g | 0.32 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.62 tsp | 0.54 tbsp
4.69 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.04 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
6.32 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.58 tsp | 0.53 tbsp
590.85 g | 20.84 oz | 1.3 lbs | TF = N/A

The crust was very light, had a great crunch to it and was as paper-thin as I could get it without compromising the fluffy rim.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »
Mike,

Your pizza looks good. It reminded me of a Papa John's clone pizza that I described at Reply 24 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg59357.html#msg59357 , and where the dough also had a hydration of 58%, 0.10% IDY and was fermented at room temperature for 8 hours. Of course, the oil and sugar quantities for the PJ clone were much higher than what you used. But it looks like the two pizzas track each other quite well.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
Peter,

Given the fact that I never had a Papa John's pizza in my life, I'm amazed how similar those two formulas are with the exception of the oil and sugar contents.

I'm inclined to tinker around with this a bit more with the goal of getting a crust that is truly an EC but with better flavor. I guess I'm up for another little project here  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »
Peter,

I forgot to mention that I used 100% KAAP for this one with a combined mixing/kneading time of 10 minutes.

Mike

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2013, 08:56:59 PM »
Peter,

Given the fact that I never had a Papa John's pizza in my life, I'm amazed how similar those two formulas are with the exception of the oil and sugar contents.

I'm inclined to tinker around with this a bit more with the goal of getting a crust that is truly an EC but with better flavor. I guess I'm up for another little project here  ;D
Mike,
I appreciate your work and determination on this type of dough you've most recently been working on...all of them are looking good too; though I know it is flavor that you are searching for. ;)
Keep after it man..this is great stuff, thanks!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »
Mike,
I appreciate your work and determination on this type of dough you've most recently been working on...all of them are looking good too; though I know it is flavor that you are searching for. ;)
Keep after it man..this is great stuff, thanks!  :chef:

Thanks you, Sir!  ;D

I've been around long enough to finally have gotten a little hang on things, well...on doughs I should say, and to be able to estimate how certain doughs 'behave'.

But...pizza making will always have a never ending learning curve, which always includes setbacks, failures and mishaps. I'm happy to have another project/goal in the works....EC crust flavor improvement, or "ECFI" for short, since we all like abbreviations here.

Keep baking, bro  :chef:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:19:08 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »
Mike,

That sure is a fine looking pizza!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
Mike,

That sure is a fine looking pizza!  :chef:

Norma

Thank you, Miss.

A compliment coming from you it's always appreciated :)
Mike