Author Topic: Impatience  (Read 881 times)

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
Impatience
« on: December 16, 2015, 11:19:31 PM »
So I ordered a Pizzone a little while back. Simone sent over a tracking #, and I thought it said delivery for tomorrow. So yesterday I made a batch of dough.  This was my 1st attempt at Neapolitan style.  Then I rechecked the email, and saw the delivery was for next Tuesday:(
Instead of tossing the dough, I fired up the big green egg this evening, and had at it. I was worried the egg wouldn't get hot enough, for this syle of dough, but it came out ok, and was tasty. Each pie took 3-4 minutes, I think the dome temp never rose past 775. Sure it could have used more heat, as the cheese looked over done by the time the crust was browned.  BGE works better for NY syle, IMO, but overall we enjoyed the pies.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:36:57 AM by pizzarust »

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Impatience
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
More pies, I can't figure out how to put more than one photo at a time.

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 11:24:25 PM »
Well darn, now it double posts the pic  ??? :o

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 11:27:07 PM »
"More attachments"

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:00:27 AM »

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 02:25:48 AM »
Hi Pizzarust,

I think you mean neapolitan style and not napoleon style  ::)

Your pizzas look good, but did you leave enough time rising ?

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:22 AM »
Hi Pizzarust,

I think you mean neapolitan style and not napoleon style  ::)

Your pizzas look good, but did you leave enough time rising ?
I am afraid I don't know much about pizza making, being a relative newbie. I am not sure what you mean by rising time? I pulled the dough out of the frig at 3pm, & cook was at 5pm. Is this what you mean?

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 04:45:43 AM »
I am afraid I don't know much about pizza making, being a relative newbie. I am not sure what you mean by rising time? I pulled the dough out of the frig at 3pm, & cook was at 5pm. Is this what you mean?

Hi !

Maybe I don't use the right terms in English, about the rise I mean the leavening. How long did you leave the dough in the fridge ?

I'm a little bit surprise the pie needed 3-4 min to bake at this baking temperature (according to the color of the rim in the pics), should have been more something like 2-3 min, but I may be wrong. But to help more further, we would need to know your entire process, protocol as we say in French.
But anyway, if the taste was good... It's what matters, right ?  ;)

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »
The dough was in the frig for about 30hr. I tried to follow the Massimo recipe from the video:
1L h2o
1,700gr of Harvest bread flour(from Costco)
50gr salt
4gr ADY

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »
Usually when I tried a new flour without many info on it, I like to try 48H, 72H and 96H. The high the gluten rate, the longer the dough can ferment. I like to see its limits : sometimes some periods I don't have a lot of customers, my dough is aged 7 days or more. Then it's starts to be interesting  ;D

Italian usually scale according to water, next time can you give the baker's percentagen it's according to flour, this is more standardized, more convenient for all  :P

So :
F 100%
Hy 58.8%
S 2.9%
Y 0.24%

I think your rim could have some more coloring  :) ! Bake longer ? add CF time ? ..
Cheers

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 02:25:48 AM »
Thank you, Yael.

Offline texmex

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 02:42:41 AM »
Those pizzas look very similar to some I have baked in my brother's green egg.   Once in awhile the temp hits that really hot sweet spot for high hydration dough and the difference is amazing, but his egg tends to cool off at a point and the browning diminishes on the top of the pies. Those green eggs are kinda tempermental as far as fire maintenance goes,  but they are really more ideally suited to slow cooking.  Still, that's  about the best you're gonna get from the green egg with that dough, though it will make a good enough pizza. I  had the same experience, NY style works best for me in th BGE.  Just think of it as practice until your  oven arrives.
Reesa

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »
Those pizzas look very similar to some I have baked in my brother's green egg.   Once in awhile the temp hits that really hot sweet spot for high hydration dough and the difference is amazing, but his egg tends to cool off at a point and the browning diminishes on the top of the pies. Those green eggs are kinda tempermental as far as fire maintenance goes,  but they are really more ideally suited to slow cooking.  Still, that's  about the best you're gonna get from the green egg with that dough, though it will make a good enough pizza. I  had the same experience, NY style works best for me in th BGE.  Just think of it as practice until your  oven arrives.

Agree with you completely on the BGE & pizza. That sweet spot is very limited before its starts cooling off. My oven did arrive on thrusday, after all. So the egg will be used for what is best suited for, slow & cooking, & searing steaks. The latter is where I find the BGE to really shine. Steak + BGE=  ;D

Offline pizzarust

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »
Well, the Pizzone turned out to be for more than just pizzas  :chef:
I was going to cook these on the egg, but at the last moment decided to cook them in the Pizzone. Awesome!  :drool:

Offline texmex

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 06:20:27 AM »
Where's the crumb shot of those?   :drool:
Reesa

Offline pizza party

• Vendor
  • The original Wood fired oven most versatile!
    • Pizza Party wood fired pizza oven
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 05:02:11 AM »
Hi Rust all ok with your Pizzone?
to make roast i have create a new page dedicated  :drool:
http://www.wood-fired-pizza-oven.us/how-to-roast-in-wood-oven/
Simone
UK/US site: Wood fired oven Pizza Party
New shop online, save money by direct sales: Excellent offer home delivery to USA/CANADA + Wood fired oven Pizza Party + all taxes
Pizza Party facebook fans: Forni Pizza Party customers
italian official web site: Forni a legna Pizza Party