Author Topic: My Dry Stacked WFO  (Read 4809 times)

Offline ridr44

My Dry Stacked WFO
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:53:10 AM »
I have constructed a dry stacked wood oven similar to one on youtube by Garden Fork...  http://www.gardenfork.tv/brick-pizza-oven-video-and-plans-gf-tv   I purchased the cement blocks for the base and the cement board for the sub floor at home depot.  After leveling the land, I created a surface onto which I placed the fire brick floor of the oven.  These were also newly purchased.  From there I built up the oven itself from used clay bricks.  The roof is supported by angle iron pieces.  I constructed a short chimney from bricks.  My first attempt at firing it up was unsuccessful because the wood was not as dry as I had thought.  Lots of smoke, very little fire.  However yesterday I was able to get some nicely dried wood and was really happy with the result.  I think that with more practice this easy to construct oven will last me the summer and produce some great results.   My first pizzas were not at all perfect but there is still a lot to learn about maximizing this oven and of course, being that it is kind of rough, to say the least, it may never be able to match the results of a commercially produced wfo.  But for those  who want to experience a wfo without the commitment of dollars or creating a permanent structure, this might be the way to go.  So far, I love it!  Dan

Sorry for some of the pics being upside down...don't know how to fix it...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 06:57:59 AM by ridr44 »

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My Dry Stacked WFO
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
Very cool.  I may need to work one of those into my spring cleaning projects!  What is the footprint of that puppy?

Offline ridr44

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 07:44:52 PM »
The base of the floor of the oven is cement board, one board, 3x5 cut in half, 2.5x3...the cement block is about that size cut into the grass.  So far I highly recommend this oven.  I am so excited about it, just love it being in my yard, ready to use. :D

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »
That looks neat, but aren't you worried about the bricks exploding on you? I've heard that type of brick can't withstand heating.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:37:39 PM »
If the oven explodes while baking a pizza, it may be the 1st artisan pizza in space. 8) :o
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline ridr44

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »
My understanding is that clay bricks are safe. The trouble comes from bricks made from cement. Those are very popular now and are the ones found at places like Home Depot. You can buy clay bricks from a mason supply or you can get them used.

Offline ridr44

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:16 PM »
Today's pizzas...getting better already.  This oven rocks.  It is ready to bake in about two hours.  The rosemary pizza cooked in 90 secs.  The other in 2min 12sec.  Loving it.  Dan

Offline oknewell

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
Way to go!  Looks like you have a cool little set up there.  Are you able to clear the roof in two hours? Do you know how hot the oven is getting?

Offline ridr44

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
What do you mean by clear the roof?  The flame at that point is flying across the roof towards to chimney.  The floor temp so far is close to 700 when I start.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
What do you mean by clear the roof?  The flame at that point is flying across the roof towards to chimney.  The floor temp so far is close to 700 when I start.

I believe clear the roof is a description of the roof changing from black to the original material color. I think that I have read that the roof will get black upon starting your fire and as the temp increases that black will change. so "clear the roof".
Of course I may be all wet, not having a WFO.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »
You are dead on.  Once hot enough the tar and soot that cover the oven dome will burn off and the oven will "clear".  This is the exact same way your home oven's self clean cycle works. 
-Jeff

Offline ridr44

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 04:16:43 PM »
I'll check next time:)

Offline ridr44

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »
Yep, the oven is cleared in less than 2 hours...

Offline nick79brew

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »
How hot do the outside of the bricks become?  Too hot to touch?  Also, does it produce a lot of smoke from the opening and/or chimney? Im trying to figure out if I can build one on my patio which would be most convenient to my kitchen and more importantly, kegerator.

Offline ridr44

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 03:52:33 PM »
The bricks on top eventually get pretty hot, too hot to touch but not like glowing, just hot.  The walls also get hot but not as much.  As far as smoke goes, I think anytime you start a fire you are initially going to get smoke until the fire gets really going.  I find that the drier the wood the less the smoke.  I also find that whenever I add some wood it starts to smoke until that piece gets going.  When the fire is going well, there is no smoke.

Offline supertuner700

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
Can you take a couple more pictures?  Maybe from the top and inside please?

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
Can you take a couple more pictures?  Maybe from the top and inside please?

And maybe from the back too? 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
Is your "dome" a solid steel plate with bricks laying on top of the plate? Thanks!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ridr44

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 07:25:41 PM »
I'll get some more pictures up there soon.  The dome is made of brick only.  The bricks are held up with angle iron between the rows. 

Offline ridr44

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 05:47:19 AM »
This time, no pizza.  Italian sausages cooked on skewers with a nice grease catcher below.  They came out great!  This oven is unbelievable.  I started the fire at 4 and at 5:15 the sausages were done.   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:50:40 AM by ridr44 »