Author Topic: Big Green Egg, is it worth the result??  (Read 6657 times)

Offline youonlylivetwice

Big Green Egg, is it worth the result??
« on: January 17, 2006, 01:33:44 PM »
Or is that too hard to answer?  I read the other threads here, and while it seems the results are 'good', is it worth the $ relative to a typical 550 degree home oven and stone? 
I am also considering the:
1. possibility to do some pretty good BBQ's, and
2. That it would make summetime pizza more likely, I don't often run up the over in summer with the A/C on.

It seems as good as the egg is at hitting higher temps, the dome may in fact not be most suitable for pizza.  Even on the BGE site it appears avoiding burning is more important than producing truly superior pizzas.  Kind of like they are more enamored with using the tool than producing a superior pie. It may be good, but is it on a plane that home ovens can't touch?

any thoughts?

thanks!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 02:25:33 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
My take on this subject is that you get a pit/smoker that makes great BBQ and look for something else for pizzas. The concensus in my circle of BBQ fanatics is that the Weber Smokey Mountain is the best for smaller quantities.

Bil/SFNM

Offline youonlylivetwice

Re: Big Green Egg, is it worth the result??
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 03:00:32 PM »
Sorry all, I didn't realize there was another thread on the BGE that was posted so recently....

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 04:28:47 PM »
I have a WSM ( Weber Smokey Mountain ) , you can go to the official website "Forum" for this smoker
by doing a google of "the virtual bullet"

when you do, Google will give you this site as the first result:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

That website is the motherload of all BBQ discussion forums for the WSM.  Its' the bible if you will.
The actual discussion forum is here: http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee

After being a member on that group for a few months, I bought the Weber Smokey Mountain,
and haven't regretted it.

Here in Canada it was $279.99, in the States it's cheaper.

The Big Green Eggs are about $1,000 to $1,200 here.

They are great machines, and yield a great product.  Does one do a better job than the other ?
 .... that debate will go on for a very long time.  The BGE ( Big Green Egg ) will work in
temp much lower than a WSM ( like winter time ) and is very well insulated so it can go forever.

However the WSM ( Weber ) that I have can go for a good 10 hours in the summertime keeping a temp of about 250 degrees - like you would do for brisket, and this is on only one filling of charcoal. ( using the famous Minion Method )

It all depends on how many times you will use it, and how big your wallet is.

I love smoked ribs and pulled pork, but only do it maybe a max of 6 times during the summer.  By October
the smoker is put away for the year.

however there are many guys that own a Green Egg that will smoke during the winters, but these guys are
true bbq guys, and do this several times a week.

Both are amazing machine, both make amazing food.

Back in 2003, I bought my WSM, loaded it with charcoal, and made ribs that day, - all I can say is this,
my ribs were better than the places I had visited locally.  I used a great rub on them, followed directions, and
smoked the ribs for about 5 hours.  They were just out of this world.  I couldn't believe that on the firs try that
I had made these.... I was really really impressed.

Sure, I would love to have a Big Green Egg also, but I just can't justify buying it, when I'm not really smoking that much in
reality.  If you have the $, and think you will be smoking once a week, then it's probabally a good investment, but the WSM
is a hull of a lot less expensive, is a very well built product, and with the money you save you can buy a lot of meat  >:D

Mark

Sorry all, I didn't realize there was another thread on the BGE that was posted so recently....

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 04:34:59 PM by canadianbacon »
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 07:40:10 PM »
Just get the original, real deal, and best grill/smoker out there: A Kamado.

Steve

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 07:49:50 PM »
From another newsgroup posted on Jan.12, 2006:

speaking about Kamando:

"they haae notoriously lousy
customer service.  I do not have one and cannot speak from
experience, but that is the word on the street. "

I've also heard bad things about them.  The other problem is that you will be very hard
pressed to find many with them.  I was at a bbq comp last summer, and didn't come across
a single model, although the place was filled with Big Green Eggs and Weber Smokey Mountain smokers.

I guess that about says it doesn't it.  ::)

Just get the original, real deal, and best grill/smoker out there: A Kamado.

Steve

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 08:03:08 PM »
Well, I own 2 of them and think they're pretty great. Their customer service did have a stretch where they were hard to get through to, but that was while they were in the middle of moving their factory to Mexico. My original Kamado was made in Indonesia and I had some problems with the ceramic tiles falling off. They sent me out a batch of new tiles and a repair kit asap, free of charge. My newer Kamado was made at their new factory in Mexico and I haven't had a single problem with it. There's nothing wrong with a big green egg, per se. The tiled Kamados do look much nicer, though. They also come in many different colors and sizes. And they supposedly cook better than a BGE due to their thicker ceramic walls.

Steve

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 08:12:18 PM »
Hey Steve,

could you post a pic of them ? that would be super if you could  :D

I've never actually seen on in somebody's backyard, only on the net.

Well, I own 2 of them and think they're pretty great.
Steve

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 08:18:30 PM »
Mine is currently buried in snow at the moment as I haven't cooked on it since New Years when I made a prime rib. But here's an earlier picture.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 02:15:25 AM »
steve, do you have any pictures of your pizza made in the kamodo?

I would think the thicker ceramic walls of the kamodo compared to the BGE would let you retain a higher temp when you open the top to drop the pizza in.

Have you been able to do a one minute pie?

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »
I don't have any recent pics of a pizza from the Kamado. The one attached is from quite a while ago. If I recall, I cooked it at around 650-700 degrees for about 4 minutes. I haven't been able to cook any 1 minute pies. I have actually had a few problems with burning the bottom of the crust when I try to cook above 700 degrees. I think this is because the coals below the pizza stone have to get so incredibly hot to heat the dome up to 800+ degrees that they superheat the pizza stone. I might try my next pizza on the upper grill which sits much closer to the dome, so the top of the pie will cook better. If I have a pizza stone on the main grill as a heat deflector and one on the upper grill to cook with, I think I might be able to cook a pie much more evenly without any burning. It's just too cold out right now (10 degrees) to do any experimenting. I really need to get a heat-gun as well, so I can gauge the proper cooking surface temperature.

Steve

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 12:14:19 PM »
Steve,
did you buy it primarily for pizza, or for BBQ and other items?

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 12:16:20 PM »
That smoker looks like it will really hold the heat well. 

The pizza looks good also.  Thanks for posting the images.

How long will that stay at say 250 degrees ? I bet it can go for a good 12 hours or more
on one load of charcoal. Pretty darn sure of it.

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 12:47:50 PM »
At least 24 hours with a big load of charcoal.  I use the Kamado brand charcoal made from pressed, extruded coconut shells. They are really dense and last for a very long time. I could probably get close to 30 hours at 225 degrees or so with a really full load of charcoal. The very first thing I cooked on the Kamado was 2 big pork butts. They cooked for 24 hours to an internal temp of about 190 degrees for pulled pork.

I bought the grill purely for bbq and only found out about cooking pizza's on it later. Even now I only occasionally use it for pizza. Most of my pizza baking is done in my regular oven just for the sake of convenience. That, plus I always feel like I'm wasting a lot of charcoal by running my grill up to 700 degrees for a few hours.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 12:50:20 PM by AKSteve »

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 12:57:56 PM »
how long does it take to get it up to 700 degrees?  It has to be faster than preheating the home oven, isn't it?  Or is it an all afternoon ordeal to get it hot enough for dinner pizza?
thanks for all the info!

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 01:01:46 PM »
I can be ready to cook pizza on it in about 1.5 hours. I'd say 15 minutes to get all the coals going, another 10 or 15 to get up to 750 degrees, and then an hour to heat soak everything.

Steve

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 01:10:03 PM »
and nine hours later it has cooled enough to throw a rack of ribs on it ??  :)

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 01:34:03 PM »
One of the main worries with cooking at such high temps is the possibility of a flashback. If you shut down the draft door and damper at 800 degrees and then decided to open up the grill itself a few minutes later..... say bye-bye to your eybrows and maybe more.

Steve

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 03:55:31 PM »
YouOnlyLiveTwice, I've posted some bbq pix for you here:

http://tinyurl.com/9optk

The pix ( images ) show the brand new box that my Weber Smokey Mountain came in, and the assembly
and then onto my first ever rib smoke.

You will see the amazing results, and the beautiful smoke ring I got.  Ribs were in there about 5 hours
or so at 350 degrees F.

Here are just a few to make you hungry  >:D

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 07:01:06 PM »
Nice thing about BGE is they can be set up in many different ways.You can elevate a pizza stone to a higher position in the dome and that helps even out cooking between toppings and crust.It takes a little bit of experimentation to achieve ideal temps and time for the pies.The one thing you have to remember is that it is a multi purpose cooker,good a lots of things but not perfect.The egg will add a nice smoky flavour to pizzas cooked on them,and the amount is at your control.
I have to add BGE does not come with a patch kit of any kind,and although being very heavy they can be moved fairly easily with 2 people,a Kamodo is much heavier.
I have cooked on BGEs ,Primos and Grilldomes and they all cook pretty much the same,use about the same amounts of fuel,and the food is pretty much identical.
I also have to state at home I have many types of bbqs from mobile cookers to Hibachis and the egg is most versatile for all around cooking and use.
I also have to add that BGE is a sponsor of our BBQ team,but that doe not bias my take on this cooker(we have other sponsors as well who make bbqs).
Aaron
Dizzy Pig North