Author Topic: How bad is this?  (Read 730 times)

Offline RookieDave

How bad is this?
« on: March 30, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »
I made some dough yesterday using the dough calculator and ischia starter.  The idea was to have it ready to go Sunday afternoon.  I tried to stick with Craig's procedure since I didn't know what i was doing.  The only variation was a little extra starter because I really had no idea how active it would be.  Oops, it's real active.

I got up this morning not expecting a lot of rise but instead found the dough coming out of the top of my container.  I wasn't planning on balling until later but went ahead and seperated it into 3 containers.  It was much to wet and sticky to shape into balls though.

It's been about 3 hours since I seperated them and they are rising again.  Do I just let it go, if I it in the frig will I kill it?  Thanks for your help.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: How bad is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
Dave, Welcome. Although I do not use starters, I believe others do and also retard the fermantation by refrigeration. From my limited experience I would say if you want to slow things down the fridge would be a good idea. If the dough is still too wet to form dough balls you might do some stretch and fold manuevers to tighten it up a bit.

It also would be helpful to others if you gave a list of dough ingredients and amounts as well as the process you used.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline RookieDave

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »
Thanks Mark, here's what I used.

100% Caputo
62.5% water
3% salt
2% starter

FWIW, it has slowed down quite a bit.  Here's a picture of how it looks now.  I realize now that Caputo will be the wrong flour for me but I figured I had to at least try it since I paid that much for flour.  I can get my BGE up to 750 or 800F so it might work.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »
It takes time to get to know your starter. You could always make another batch for Sunday. This way you can try whichever batch looks best. Sounds like you have a pretty good idea now what to do for a 24 hour formula.  How warm was the temp? upper 70's?

62.5% HR Caputo should not be too wet and sticky. The picture you posted looks wetter than 62.5% though it might be the picture. Is it possible that you added more water or less flour than you thought. One way to check is to weigh the dough and see if it weighs as much as it should if everything is measured correctly. Being too wet will speed things up too.

I would not have thought you could have gotten that much rise in 24 hours with 2% unless it was really warm >77F or so.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RookieDave

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
I'm sure I could have messed up one of the measurements but I was careful when weighing everything.  The dough looked and felt great after doing the initial stretch and folds so I don't know why it was tacky this morning.  Temp has been around 70F the whole time. 

I did weigh the dough this morning after separating it and they were right at 300g which is what I was going for.

Would it screw things up to do more stretch and folds?

Edit:  It's up to 75F in here today.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:02:20 PM by RookieDave »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:30:11 PM »
Would it screw things up to do more stretch and folds?

It will probably make the dough balls hard to open.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RookieDave

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Okay thanks, I moved them to a cooler place so maybe it will be okay.  And thanks for the idea of makeing a back-up, it can't hurt at this  point. 

pizzapan