Author Topic: Flour in Finland for Lehmann NY style dough attempts  (Read 2971 times)

Offline mitten

• every day I d'o(ug)h!
Re: Flour in Finland for Lehmann NY style dough attempts
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »
I'm just messing with you two. Even Morgans 200g 11incher looks great today(over on the other thread). It really just comes down to how much dough you put into the cornicione when first starting to form the dough round...different folks like it formed different ways. As for the TF in the rest of the skin/crust, I would say that both of you are right in the ballpark for traditional NY pie.

ok thanks ChicagoBob  :chef:

I have discovered the most promising flour to date this week. Unfortunately I haven't been taking pictures because I've been baking at night so only the sad flourescent lighting, I'll post more info once I have some decent pics etc.

The flour is Sunnuntai erikoisvehnäjauho. That this flour (advertised as "Finland's favorite" and available in almost all stores) is the one I've achieved best results with so far is just sooooo ridonkulous. It's advertised as "half-course" but as milling coarseness has no standard measure (at least over here) it is definitely on the finer end of commercial flours I've used. Protein is 12%.

I emailed Raisio to ask and it turns out this flour *IS MALTED* to lower the Falling Number of the flour. Apparently small quantities of malt don't even need to be put on the labels in the EU (if I've understood what I've read about the regulations correctly). WTF  :-D http://www.nutrifood.eu/database/muehlenchemie/mc-fltr-e.pdf

This has got me emailing the other major flour manufacturers to enquire about malting, MYLLYN PARAS replied that they do not malt their flour. I'm pretty sure the organic flours (Nikkilä, Myllärin Luomu) also won't. but now I have some diastatic malt powder to use with those so plenty to experiment with  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:53:32 AM by mitten »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
Have you tested Myllärin luomu vehnäjauho ? It might be good, but it was very elastic and stretched to much very easily, i aimed for 11" and it went straight to 14" without a trouble. I have to re-ball and let it rise again, will test it today.

Offline mitten

• every day I d'o(ug)h!
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
I haven't tried that one yet (nice pics in the other thread!) as iirc it's protein content was "only" 11g? How was the consistency of that flour, was it coarser than the KABF? I think "vehnäjauho" is usually milled "half-coarse" and erikoisvehnäjauho can be either (often it's coarse I think, unless stated otherwise on package).

When I did my initial experiements I used a coarse erikoisvehnäjauho w/ 11g protein (reply #7 first page) and what you describe is exactly what I experienced - stretched out like crazy!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »
I haven't tried that one yet (nice pics in the other thread!) as iirc it's protein content was "only" 11g? How was the consistency of that flour, was it coarser than the KABF? I think "vehnäjauho" is usually milled "half-coarse" and erikoisvehnäjauho can be either (often it's coarse I think, unless stated otherwise on package).

When I did my initial experiements I used a coarse erikoisvehnäjauho w/ 11g protein (reply #7 first page) and what you describe is exactly what I experienced - stretched out like crazy!

I wouldnt say that its coarser, maybe KABF is more coarse or about the same.

Have you tried Pirkka margherita from K-Supermarket ? You should definetily try it out! Its made in Italy, i like the dough very much :pizza:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:39:05 PM by Morgan »

Offline Morgan

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Mitten still around ?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2013, 02:54:11 PM »
Mitten still around ?
Morgan,

Members' profiles indicate their last appearances on the forum. In mitten's case, it was April 26.

Peter

Offline Morgan

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »
Morgan,

Members' profiles indicate their last appearances on the forum. In mitten's case, it was April 26.

Peter

Yeah i saw that, but i was hoping that it doesn't work :-D

pizzapan