Author Topic: Started my oven yesterday  (Read 777 times)

Offline misterschu

Started my oven yesterday
« on: March 30, 2013, 06:18:03 PM »
Yesterday I had the day off so I began to construct my oven.  I've been planning it for a while.

I'd been pretty gung ho about building a 36" WFO but I'm renting so I thought I'd hold off on a permanent installation.  What I settled on is an oven built in/on a 26" charcoal grill, in the Frankenweber style.  I'd looked into it a bit only today did I see a forum post elsewhere that the Frankenweber is perlite and portland, not perlite and refractory. 

I sourced some KS-4 Plus at my local ANH warehouse, for $43/55# bag, about 40min away, but then found Plibrico Plicast Tuff Mix at a place an hour away for 28/50# bag.  I went with the Plicast for the better price.  I also picked up some perlite to make a lighter cement, planning on doing 1:1 by volume.  The Plicast was much coarser than I expected.  Does anyone know if KS-4 is finer cement?  I'll post some pictures in a bit.

Yesterday I built in the bottom half of the grill and filled in the bottom with cement and then firebricks to take up some volume.  I finished the floor with some bricks for a cooking area.  Tomorrow I'm going to make a mold out of sand on top of the bricks and pack cement against it to build the oven dome.

Offline tombiasi

Re: Started my oven yesterday
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
Are you sure that grill can hold the weight?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:43:55 PM »
My thoughts exactly.

Mark

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »
David, beyond the grill's ability to support the weight of the bricks/cement, I think you need to take another look at the Frankenwebber thermodynamics. His setup has gone through a few different iterations, but I believe that he's always had the fire underneath the hearth rather than on it.  There's no space for a fire on a hearth of that size.  With a 26" grill, it looks like you have about a 20" x 24" hearth.  There's no way you're fitting a fire and a pizza on that.

Not that a Frankenwebber is even worth aspiring to, imo.  If he was more forthcoming about his materials/setup, there'd be hope, but, right now, everything Frankenwebber related is mostly conjecture. LBE's, on the other hand, are heavily documented.  A 26" grill could give you a lot of real estate for an LBE.

Are you 100% certain that he's working with portland with direct flame?  Everything I've read on portland says not to do this.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
I finished up the dome today, I'll add pictures as soon as I scoop the sand out, which might be a night this week or next weekend, rain started coming down as I was putting the tarp on, though it looks like the rain is mostly holding off until later tonight.  I added refractory needles in this mix to help with the structure of the dome once the sands removed.  I'm hoping for the best when I dig out the sand, and I do have enough cement left for a second dome if needed.

It is a bit small but I think I should be able to get a 12" pie on there with a fire, though the pies may end up having to be even smaller than that.  I don't really foresee the fire being larger than 10" wide.  I imagine I'll have to have a long heat time, and then a smaller fire once I've pre-heated.

If you watch starting at 2:18
<a href="http://youtu.be/RLC-SIGpZkE?t=2m18s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/RLC-SIGpZkE?t=2m18s</a>
it looks like he has a flame in the back.

The stand is holding up fine, the legs are pretty well designed to attach to the grill base without wobble, but the plastic wheels have been compressing more and more as I add weight to the top, so I'll definitely have to reinforce those, or at least prop them up, since those legs are about an inch shorter than the stationary legs.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:16:32 PM by misterschu »

pizzapan