Author Topic: Easy NY style - please help a newbie  (Read 538 times)

Offline Colachef

• I Love Pizza!
Easy NY style - please help a newbie
« on: April 20, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
I am a pregnant woman living in central Cali who used to live in NY for 21 years. I have a major pizza craving this week, specifically Di Fara's pizza. I need an easy way to make a pizza close enough to satisfy my craving with minimal new purchases. Is this even possible?

Requirements:
Store-bought dough if at all possible
If not possible, ingredients that I can buy at regular non-specialty shops
Cheese that can be bought at major stores like Costco because there's no specialty cheese shops in town
Less than 5 hours effort, or else I'll drive down to LA to buy pizza

Thanks!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Easy NY style - please help a newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:29:03 PM »
Hi Jen, welcome to the forum.  :)
I'd like to try and help you with your little dilemma. Sounds like the dough will be our major hurdle so how about you check and see if Costco will sell you a couple of their dough balls over at their concession stand. If they won't then check at your local Walmart....many Walmarts sell frozen dough balls and also refrigerated ones over by the bakery counter. These are dough balls that will work for NY pizza. Also, you can ask a local pizzeria to sell you dough balls.
Come back here when you have checked into this dough options.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:30:52 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline chaspie

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:37:22 PM »
I use the Costco mozzarella, and I like it a lot.  It works fine.  I don't buy any specialty items, just normal grocery store Italian sausage, pepperoni, veggies, etc. 

About the store-bought dough, I have never really heard of such a thing aside from biscuits in a can.  But dough is easy to make, especially if you have a mixer. 

I use the Glutenboy dough recipe and the Red November sauce #2.   You definitely won't spend 5 hours.  More like an hour and a bit, at most. 

I'd encourage you to try both of those recipes.  You'll have way more sauce than you need, but the excess can be frozen in small containers.   I feel it's better to make the sauce using the full 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes rather than try to scale down the already small quantities of herbs and seasonings. 

You may need to scale down the dough recipe, and I'd suggest making it two days before you want to use it, and let it cold ferment in your refrigerator.  The dough calculator tool that you can access from the site's main page can help you scale it.   You need to know what size (diameter) pizza you want to make and the thickness factor to scale the dough properly.  As an example, I make my dough balls 309 grams each (10.8997 ounces each), which gives me a thickness factor of 0.0964 for a 12 inch diameter pizza. 

Offline patnx2

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:57 AM »
Where do you live in Calif. I live in Modesto and buy flour,cheese
(precious) locally.
Costco,smart and final are places to start. Time working is minimal but waiting for yeast to work takes time. No need to go to LA   Patrick
Patrick

pizzapan